Computer freezes when left on

Hi all, I want to leave my main computer on all the time as I share a
printer and music from it. When I'm using it it's fine and I have no
problems but when I leave it say overnight, without fail in the morning
the machine is frozen and I have to press the reset switch to reboot it.
When it comes back on the event logs show nothing and it acts as though
nothing has happened. I thought it was perhaps something to do with
power saving so I turned that all off and the same thing happens - the
mouse and keyboard don't respond and it's frozen. Any tips on what to
look for? I've just rebuilt my machine and it's happening again.
Thanks,
Andy

Win XP Pro SP2 - all updates

Does this system have a screensaver enabled? Set it to have no screensaver.
Go to Control Panel >>Appearance and Themes >> next select Display >> look at Screen Saver tab.

Is it set to power off the hard drive after xx amount of idle time ?
Control Panel >> Performance and Maintenance >> Power Options.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
> Does this system have a screensaver enabled? Set it to have no screensaver.
> Go to Control Panel >>Appearance and Themes >> next select Display >> look at Screen Saver tab.
>
> Is it set to power off the hard drive after xx amount of idle time ?
> Control Panel >> Performance and Maintenance >> Power Options.

It did have all those enabled but doesn't any more - taken it all off,
all the power schemes are set to never and there is no screen saver -
I'm still stumped!

"Andy Hoe" <andyLOVESsPAM@monkonLOVESsPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
> Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
>> Does this system have a screensaver enabled? Set it to have no
>> screensaver.
>> Go to Control Panel >>Appearance and Themes >> next select Display >>
>> look at Screen Saver tab.
>>
>> Is it set to power off the hard drive after xx amount of idle time ?
>> Control Panel >> Performance and Maintenance >> Power Options.
>>
> It did have all those enabled but doesn't any more - taken it all off, all
> the power schemes are set to never and there is no screen saver - I'm
> still stumped!

Try booting into safe mode and leaving it running in safe mode over night.
Better yet go to www.memtest.org download memtest86+ and let it run over
night. If it's not locked up in the morning then you have a software or
driver problem. If it is locked up then you have a hardware problem.
Whichever it is your job is now 50% easier. Start eliminating things one at
a time until it's working.

Kerry