windows/system32/config/system help

i know there are a million threads on this topic already and ive looked
at them, and none have helped
i get that message when i start up so i went to the microsoft webpage
and found an article to fix it
i went into the recovery console, but it never let me login as
administrator, like it says in the article. i never had a chance to
enter my password, so i cant execute any of the commands to fix the
problem. it just says access denied
someone please help
thanks

--
goyanks1
goyanks1's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13508

If the administrator account has no password, press the Enter key. (or even the Tab key)

I'm assuming the system registry is corrupted or has a severe problem, and you are trying to restore an older copy.
Before resorting to the Recovery Console method, did you try:
Using the F8 key at pc bootup, to get bootup choices, and try selecting "Last Known Good" ?
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

goyanks1 wrote:
> i know there are a million threads on this topic already and ive
> looked at them, and none have helped
> i get that message when i start up so i went to the microsoft webpage
> and found an article to fix it
> i went into the recovery console, but it never let me login as
> administrator, like it says in the article. i never had a chance to
> enter my password, so i cant execute any of the commands to fix the
> problem. it just says access denied
> someone please help
> thanks

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

There are two common reasons for the inability to log into Recovery Console.

One is described in the following article.
"The password is not valid" error message appears when you log on to
Recovery Console in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308402
(Note that the suggested fix #1 (using an XP floppy boot set) doesn't work
and can waste a great deal of time in the attempt. )

Another reason is that the Windows system is too damaged to permit even the
minimal access RC requires to authenticate.

I assume you're trying to apply the procedure described in "How to recover
from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting" KB
307545. In servicing machines with this situation, I either slave the
problem drive into another PC to make the attempt or use a Knoppix bootable
Linux CD to access the drive. (Bart PE Builder is another option.)

Unfortunately the procedure described in KB 30745 is often unsuccessful. Be
sure to check the hard drive once you can access it in whatever fashion.
This kind of registry damage is often caused by a failing hard drive.