Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

ASRock to start making cheap ATI and nV cards.

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • ASrock
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2005 9:20:15 PM

ASRock is ASUS cheap subsidiary arm (similar, I have since found out, to GigaPuke being an amrs length subsidiary of Gigabyte, to my surprise [after all our discussions about them]).

<A HREF="http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20050128B3066.html" target="_new">http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20050128B3066.html&lt;/A>

They plan on selling both ATI and nV, but it's not sure what levels they will target (entry, mid, upper, enthusiast). They are known for their affordable products, so this may be going for the value gamer.

I won't condemn them yet, I just hope they don't follow GigaPuke and PowerCrappers lead by offering 'value' cards with crap memory and slightly 'off' clockrates.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 

More about : asrock start making cheap ati cards

February 1, 2005 4:02:14 AM

I'd have thought it was pretty obvious or at least suspicious that Gigacube had Giga like Gigabyte. Not much of a surprise really, though if they're not THAT close to each other, then I'm also not surprised. Gigabyte seems to make solid products à la MSI and Asus.

I bought my K8NXP-9 board this weekend. You've never seen a box like this one (dual folded boxes to fit in all the freakin' features, wrapped with a Sigma shield design), it's a visual orgasm!!! :eek: 
Gigabyte's made a true beauty of a mobo with this new nF4 solution. Just can't wait to install it and run it.

--
The <b><A HREF="http://snipurl.com/bl3t" target="_new"><font color=red>THGC Photo Album</font color=red></A></b>, send in your pics, get your own webpage and view other members' sites.
Related resources
February 1, 2005 4:09:38 AM

U GOT AMD64? HOW COME I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THIS? GET UR ASS ON MSN RIGHT NOW!

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D 
February 1, 2005 4:15:27 AM

LMAO. Wait boy, wait! I gotta get the CPU and video card too now! :lol: 

Still hesitant on the former, but sure on the latter but not quite on the brand. Damn it, Sapphire or HIS?! Local PC shop may still have some Sapphires X850XT PEs left.

--
The <b><A HREF="http://snipurl.com/bl3t" target="_new"><font color=red>THGC Photo Album</font color=red></A></b>, send in your pics, get your own webpage and view other members' sites.
February 1, 2005 4:15:44 AM

BTW

*flutter flutter* :wink:

--
February 1, 2005 4:25:51 AM

I DON'T SEE UR ASS ON MSN!

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D 
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2005 7:36:43 PM

I just assumed they were not related companies, but a cheap knockoff company trying to make a few dollers off a similar name.

Congrats on the new mobo. I know a little what you are talking about by impressive bundles/boxes. I remember my first Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra platinum. That was impressive for it's day, yet It sure was expensive though.

So, what cpu are you getting? Winchester 3200+ or 3500+? Honestly, even though the 3000+ is cheaper, I wish I had gone with the 3200+.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2005 8:29:43 PM

Silly Bugger wants to get a 3800+ instead of the 3500+ because he won't listen to economic reason. Think of the CHILDREN!

Anywhoo, looks like a nice rig beginning to take shape. Still a little above my goals (no X850 in here until maybe an X850XL).

Personally the 3500+ akes the most sense, unless I can find an FX for cheap that would unlock a few extra features in the BIOS.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
February 2, 2005 12:00:34 AM

Quote:
I bought my K8NXP-9 board this weekend.

I plan to buy the EXACT same board, it's a solid cheap NF4 solution! For 155$CA, it's a very easy buy! :smile:

Does it have onboard FireWire? I don't think... Can you confirm this to me! Thanks!

-
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>Athlon XP 1800+</font color=green> o/c to <font color=green>Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green>
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290 <- <i>It's enough for WoW!</i>
February 2, 2005 2:44:05 AM

Quote:
In reply to:

I bought my K8NXP-9 board this weekend.

I plan to buy the EXACT same board, it's a solid cheap NF4 solution! For 155$CA, it's a very easy buy!

Does it have onboard FireWire? I don't think... Can you confirm this to me! Thanks!

I thought you wanted the GA-K8NF-9 ...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2005 3:03:11 AM

As far as I've heard Asrock is actually a partnership between Asus and ECS, where the boards are produced in China by an ECS subsidiary using Asus designs.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
February 2, 2005 3:05:57 AM

crash how the hell do you know that

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2005 3:38:28 AM

Yep the 3800+ is still about twice the price of the 3500+ so it makes no sense to me to spend that money now (is there a game where really it's worth $300-400CDN more for the difference?). Not to me. Rather more beer here!

<b>TheRod</b>, yeah there are 2 onboard Firewire-800 headers.

a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2005 3:40:47 AM

Ah, OK Thanks, I was going on info from The Register and Xbit.

a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2005 3:50:39 AM

Digitimes.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2005 3:51:09 AM

The statement I made doesn't exclude the statement you made, nor those I've seen at The Register or Xbit.

a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2005 4:00:20 AM

No, true, but perhaps subsidiary wasn't the right word. Partnership would involve less control and more give and take between the two companies so they couldn't autocratically decide we're doing this or that. Wonder if that's GigaPuke's excuse.? :lol: 

a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2005 4:48:46 AM

As far as I know Asus has controlling interest in the Asrock venture.

February 2, 2005 10:37:44 AM

Oups! My mistake, those board name are hard to distingish... All these letters and numbers close together... :smile:

-
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>Athlon XP 1800+</font color=green> o/c to <font color=green>Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green>
<font color=red>Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290 <- <i>It's enough for WoW!</i>
February 5, 2005 11:20:52 AM

Yeah the numbers aren't obvious, especially in some of Gigabyte's mainboards being filled with numbers you'd think you're reading a hex code sent by them. :lol: 

BTW look at the differences between the K8NF-9 and K8NXP-9 before choosing, to know if it wouldn't be worth putting the extra bucks on it. It is currently 225$ but IMO it is worth every penny. I don't know many motherboards that'll offer 2 IDE, 8 SATA, RAID, 3 Firewire ports, of them 2 using 800Mbps transfer speeds (the extra I don't know, and you need an extra connector to use it, but 2 is already plentiful), 10 USB 2.0 ports, an 802.11g card, DPS for 6-phase system power supply, Dual-BIOS, 3 PCI, 1 PCIe 16x, 2 PCIe 1x (would've been nice to use the last 2 lanes and make those last ones PCIe 2x), 2 Gigabit LAN ports, 7.1 channel integrated audio and a few other tidbits. I think I even get Internet Security 2005 full from what I see.

Here are some pics I personally took of the box. I put emphasis on it because it is one serious visually orgasmic package. When I assemble the system I'll see if I will take some photos of how the mobo looks like before and after installation.

<A HREF="http://www.scamtron.com/THGC/Temp/picture 006.jpg" target="_new">Ohhhh shiny!</A>
<A HREF="http://www.scamtron.com/THGC/Temp/picture 007.jpg" target="_new">Thickness for the ones who like it big! :tongue: </A>
<A HREF="http://www.scamtron.com/THGC/Temp/picture 008.jpg" target="_new">Standing tall!</A>
<A HREF="http://www.scamtron.com/THGC/Temp/picture 009.jpg" target="_new">Ohhhh dirty, it flashed me!</A>

Seriously though, it's an awesome bundle. I look forward to installing it.

--
The <b><A HREF="http://snipurl.com/bl3t" target="_new"><font color=red>THGC Photo Album</font color=red></A></b>, send in your pics, get your own webpage and view other members' sites.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 02/05/05 08:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 6, 2005 2:26:27 AM

Not sure what I'll settle with yet. If prices don't get better for the 3800+, I'll go 3500+. As you may have noticed, I'm going all out as possible for the top performance or close. Being able to work and generate money that's just free to spend definitely has me feeling up to getting some nice gadgets for me favorite hobby.

That's why I'm waiting a bit more. But I only have the video card and the CPU left to buy, which is good.

--
February 6, 2005 2:28:52 AM

Quote:
unless I can find an FX for cheap that would unlock a few extra features in the BIOS.

I dunno if it's different over there, but here the older FXs are either phased out or their price is 10$ cheaper than the highest end FX. Nothing worth spending over yet. AMD's decided to do that with the FX serie like Intel does to the EE I believe, which is to phase out the previous flagship CPU.

--
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2005 6:43:38 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure if it matters, I like he idea of uping the multiplier for later when I can make a cooler running PV,, but for overclocking etc, there's little point as it would DECREASE overclockability, but a lower multiplier would be nice later.

And considering I just dropper $700+ at SportCheck for some shorty skiis, bindings and softy boots, I think I'll stick with the 3500+.

BTW, those aren't the kindsa pictures of 'a nice box' I like to see on the intarweb! :tongue:

Can't wait to get mine, but I'd like to buy all at the same time. Probably the GA-K8NXP-SLI for me right now, still waiting for the HIS X800XL though.

February 6, 2005 11:38:03 AM

<b>2 IDE</b>
I need those controllers.

<b>8 SATA</b>
I don't need SATA now, so 4 would be enough for the future.

<b>RAID</b>
RAID is a buzzowrd! RAID is very good for enterprise-class servers, apps... But for home users, the benifit is very limited.

<b>3 Firewire ports</b>
I only need one port, and I have a FireWire PCI card, so on-board firewire is not important to me.

<b>10 USB 2.0 ports</b>
Mouse, printer, scanner and digital camera. So 4 is enough.

<b>802.11g card</b>
Talk about useless stuff... A wireless nic for a desktop PC, unless you can't run CAT5 patch cable from your router/cable-modem to your PC, it's useless. And for me, I have a WiFi router, so, yes I use WiFi, but only for my laptop, which is where WiFi is useful.

<b>DPS for 6-phase system power supply</b>
Might be important for EXTREME overclocking, so I don't care much about that kind of stuff.

<b>Dual-BIOS</b>
I agree that this is a good feature, all mobo should have dual-bios.

<b>3 PCI</b>
Even low-cost mobos have 3 PCI slots or more.

<b>1 PCIe 16x</b>
Low-cost nForce4 have it.

<b>2 PCIe 1x</b>
Low cost nForce4 have these too.

<b>2 Gigabit LAN ports</b>
Another useless feature. Who needs 2 GigE nic. First, I don't know anyone who have GigE switch or router at home. Second, 100 Mbps nic are more than enough for most file transfer between PCs and for gaming/lan party, 10Mbps is sufficient. A GigE nic, will not give any advantages in any games! And on-board dual-nic is only useful if you don't have a router and want to share an internet connection or if you use your PC as a server/firewall that needs dual NIC...

<b>7.1 channel integrated audio</b>
I not a 3D sound freak, I actually always wear headphones when I play games. My girlfriend and my daughter would kill me if I would play my games without headphones or on a 7.1 sound system. And I fully understand them.

So, you see that all this stuff is not important to me! :smile:

-
February 6, 2005 2:09:37 PM

We don't need any more cheap cards. To many. How many sub $100 cards do we need?
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2005 3:45:10 PM

Dunno Mang, it's not what I want, but there's alot of n00b dorks out there putting too much money on crap parts because they say 256mb, so it seems there far too much money and far too big a dumbA$$ market out there for people to overloook their quick-buck oppotunity.

a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2005 4:07:30 PM

Just some quicky comments for FYI and just some 'Glad they added them even if most won't use them cause I might' type comment;

<b>RAID:</b> True, but if you do any video editing it's a nice noticeable boost. And if it's relatively free, hey why not?

<b>3 Firewire ports:</b> Remember these are FireWire-800, and I would think that that add-in card will reduce case airflow, increase system voltage requirements, another potential port conflict, and increase CPU useage. But of course they may be more equal that not, have to test to be sure.

<b>802.11g card:</b> Well, I'm gonna use it, but then again my entire apartment if Wi-Fi'ed, the most important of which it my printer which allows me to print from anywhere, also lets me share future media PC functions I'll add and will let me lan locally when friends come over. So, different strokes I guess. Maybe we just nee to cut your wire/strings pinochio. :wink:

<b>3 PCI:</b> Actually many of the PCIe mobos only hace 2 'legacy' PCI slots, so be sure you don't have anything warm side by side.

Quote:
First, I don't know anyone who have GigE switch or router at home.

I don't now, but I could if I wanted to (many at work) :evil:  . It's nice to have one for computer to computer transfers, especially for laptops. Firewire networking is almost as good though. But one would've been sufficient, however if you're going to have two anyways, why not have two gigabit ones for some modecum of flexability and future proofness/preparedness?

<b>7.1 channel integrated audio:</b> I too use headphones primarily, but I do wish that Gigabyte used a better audio solution like some people used the creative live 24bit integrated solution. The Intel Azallia too would be better. While I don't need 7.1 now, maybe when this machine were to become a media center too, it'd be handy.

In the end you get what you need, but I'd rather get more than what I think I need (didn't see the need for dual bios on my current Gaming rig 'til I needed it), or actually end up needing, than to not get the board that currently meets my needs only to find out later that I shoulda got another one with features I didn't get. I wish I had gotten the raid version of my gaming rig, because it also came with extra EIDE slots and thus would've allowed me seperate channels for each device (for quick DVD rips and transfers and backup, etc).

I'm going to probably get the SLI version, bot for the SLI but for the multi-monitor potential, and I'd rather have the extra slot and not need it than to not have it and then lose out on a feature I want. But of course that depends on price, since that Silly SLI 'tax' just makes me want to wait for DFI, ASUS, MSI, and even Gigabyte's stated 'work arounds' with the Ultra boards.

February 7, 2005 2:40:03 PM

Quote:
RAID: True, but if you do any video editing it's a nice noticeable boost. And if it's relatively free, hey why not?

For the video editing I do, I don't need RAID. Come on! Home Video Editing don'T require Silicon Graphic Workstation!

Quote:
3 Firewire ports: Remember these are FireWire-800, and I would think that that add-in card will reduce case airflow, increase system voltage requirements, another potential port conflict, and increase CPU useage. But of course they may be more equal that not, have to test to be sure.

I need FireWaire for a Digital Camcorder. So, the maximum transfer rate I need is 210Mbps (in DV format). FireWire 400 is enough. For the airflow reuction... Hummm... With only one PCI card at the bottom of the case, I don't think airflow will be a problem, and don't forget, it's an AMD64 based system, not PrescHOT! :smile:

Quote:
802.11g card: Well, I'm gonna use it, but then again my entire apartment if Wi-Fi'ed, the most important of which it my printer which allows me to print from anywhere, also lets me share future media PC functions I'll add and will let me lan locally when friends come over. So, different strokes I guess. Maybe we just nee to cut your wire/strings pinochio.

I'll use WiFi in the right situation! My desktop PC is not moving all around, nor my printer or scanner. My laptop will move, so I'll WiFi it and I'm prepare to that, I bought a WiFi Linksys router for the wireless future!

Quote:
3 PCI: Actually many of the PCIe mobos only hace 2 'legacy' PCI slots, so be sure you don't have anything warm side by side.

Like I said before, I don't need more than 1 PCI slot, so, 1, 2 or 3... I don't care! If I have 2, I might plug my old "SB Live!" and not use On-Board audio... I'm still debating that issue with myself! :smile:

Quote:
It's nice to have one for computer to computer transfers, especially for laptops. Firewire networking is almost as good though. But one would've been sufficient, however if you're going to have two anyways, why not have two gigabit ones for some modecum of flexability and future proofness/preparedness?

OK, I work in the telecom/IT business for 7 years and I can guarantee you that Gigabit Ethernet is USELESS for the desktop. There is no actual APPS that need that much bandwidth (except for server-side stuff). And for the future-proof, my CPU/mobo will be outdated before GigE will be mandatory. Actually, classic Ethernet (10Mbps/Half-Duplex) is still enough even for High-Speed Internet access. SO, when GigE will be mandatory for WAN connection we will probably have 10Ghz/Quad-Core cpu in our PCs.

I agree that GigE can be useful for fast file transfer, but the HDD will still be the bottleneck. And, for my personal use, I don't care waiting a couple minutes for HUGE file transfer, because I do this once a year!

Quote:
7.1 channel integrated audio: I too use headphones primarily, but I do wish that Gigabyte used a better audio solution like some people used the creative live 24bit integrated solution. The Intel Azallia too would be better. While I don't need 7.1 now, maybe when this machine were to become a media center too, it'd be handy.

First, the gigabyte have an onboard digital audio output and I have a Yamaha Amplifier (DTS/Dolby). So the Analog Audio Output is not important at all for me, as long as it can drive my 2 old Koss speakers which drives my headphones, I'll be happy. And the day, I'll use this PC for Media Center, I'll plug the Digital Coax output to my amplifier!

I hope these detailed explanations make you understand why I don't need SLI or ULTRA boards. I know that many people will buy them, I even recommend those board to friends and co-workers that actually questionning me on why I don't get one, because I'm the "Geek" here! I'm THE High-Tech reference and I don't buy what recommend to the others!

I explain them, that <b>I</b> don't need these feature and I 100% assume my reponsability if in the future I regret my choices. But, when I bought my NON-Deluxe A7N8X a couple of years ago, I made the same decision I nver looked back.

I'm a smart guy! :smile:

-
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2005 5:42:25 PM

Different strokes of course, the options are like I said a question of need.

Companies can and do offer stripped down boards (usually in Mini-ATX format or such), personally the Gigabyte board I wanted (X200 based) is only coming out in <A HREF="http://www.ati.com/buy/promotions/radeonxpress200/index..." target="_new">Micro-ATX format</A>.

Quote:
OK, I work in the telecom/IT business for 7 years and I can guarantee you that Gigabit Ethernet is USELESS for the desktop.

Well I work in IT too, and I can tell you from experience it's VERY handy when transferring VERY large files, and if you do editing and such on the fly (save tape move to HD) it's very handy to use your laptop as a dump drive, and then offload to your editing rig. The difference between 100mb/s and Firwire (networking) alone is noticeable when transferring raw video from one computer to another (which I have done for raw DV files) without saving to disk or removable storage first. Gigabit ethernet is even better. The question is the quality of the actual hardware as most shouldn't be considered Gigabit so much as 400-500Mbit little different from Firewire. For most users, likely overkill and they'll never use more than 10Base-T speeds (they barely have useable ADSL and that's all they do), however within 2 years who knows, maybe Beowolf clusters will be the norm will your last computer, achieving SLI like flexbility instead of sending it to the dump (or worse a school or charity *shudder*). It's just a question of not being limited, and hve future possibilities. The HDs aren't really a limitation as the theoretical max of both is never reached. Theoretical max of SATA 150MB/s EIDE 133MB/s, but the actual average for a Raptor 70-80MB/s thus giving you about 600Mb/s (that's without RAID), by the same token GigE would have a theoretical standard max around 125MB/s but in practice many are less than half that, but the same goes for 100Base-T.

Quote:
I hope these detailed explanations make you understand why I don't need SLI or ULTRA boards.

I'm not saying you do, and didn't mean to imply that, just explaining why people like Eden or I might need these features (although personally things like 8 SATA ports, etc is more than I need too). But I'd rather think I have more than I need and later find a use for it (or even not), than to think I have enough but be wrong. But everyone picks what they need. Personally I'm going to go with at least an Ultra-like board with at least an extra 4X slot so I can have the potential (even if it never appears) of doing multi-card/monitor surround gaming [viewing]. IT's a long shot, but as long as it's not $100CDN more than I would pay for not having that option, thn I'm good. Heck at $100+ I'd be better off simply replacing the MoBo with a more refined one later.

Either way it's you, and me who have to be satisfied, who cares what anyone else thinks. :cool:

February 7, 2005 6:44:08 PM

Quote:
IT's a long shot, but as long as it's not $100CDN more than I would pay for not having that option, thn I'm good. Heck at $100+ I'd be better off simply replacing the MoBo with a more refined one later.

Actually, the price difference between nForce4 and nForce4 ultra is 84$CA.

Gigabyte prices (store near home) :
nForce4 - 155$
nForce4 ULTRA - 239$ <- Why buy this board if the LSI is only 6$ more!
nForce4 SLI - 245$

-
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2005 7:55:38 PM

But remember one thing, the Gigabyte board that is NOT an Ultra or SLI, is the GA-K8NF-9 and thus an nF4-4X (like FX), it's got a slower HT (1600mhz) and according to Gigabyte, no DUAL BIOS, so personally I wouldn't touch that because there are many other small differences outside of just the non-ultra view that come into play.

And I can buy an nF4-Ultra-SLI for only $50 more than the nF4-4x hunk a junka. So $50, hey mang, that's worth it, and I get all those goodies. Heck the Wireless card alone would cost me that new. Now the one with the DSP is an extra $40, so for the absolute best verus the absolute worst nF4 it's only a $90 difference.

February 7, 2005 9:53:12 PM

Quote:
But remember one thing, the Gigabyte board that is NOT an Ultra or SLI, is the GA-K8NF-9 and thus an nF4-4X (like FX), it's got a slower HT (1600mhz) and according to Gigabyte, no DUAL BIOS, so personally I wouldn't touch that because there are many other small differences outside of just the non-ultra view that come into play.

I know all this and it's why I want that board. It is cheap and offer very good performance. Acutally the 1600MHz HT can be set to 2.0GHz in the BIOS and from the review I have read about this board, it has everything I need and MORE!

I will repeat myself again : <b>I don't need all the bells and whistles of those ULTRA or SLI boards.</b>

I waited months for this board to arrive to the market! I'm a "geek", but I'm a customer who wants the best from my limited budget. So, I'll keep the 85$ from the MB, I'll save 200$ for the memory. And with this nearly 300$ saved, I will do some constructive stuff with my girlfriend and daugther! :smile:

-
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2005 10:06:49 PM

Yep to each their own.

I personally just see the DUAL Bios as that one KILLER feature that makes a Gigabyte a Giabyte (other than usual quality build). I like the new DFI boards coming out, but I like those features far too much to get the DFI.

Anywhoo so be it. I never saw a review with the nF4-4X getting tweaked but that would definitely allay any fears I had/have of recommending this board for the cost concious.

February 8, 2005 4:59:39 AM

d00d you're being too tense man. Calm down, no one is trying to sway you away from your decision. I merely asked you to compare the two before deciding, period. And we're defending our choice, so there is no pressure on you here either.

--
February 8, 2005 5:20:33 AM

Quote:
cooler running PV

What's a PV?

--
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2005 5:53:21 AM

Ooops! That's supposed to be PV<b>R</b>.

Personal Video Recorder / Media Rig for the TV etc.

If I can take what is bound to be an overkill CPU by that time and declock it maybe it'll run cool enough to to use a passive (but massive) HeatSink.

February 8, 2005 7:44:55 AM

Nice MB. I got my brother the K8NF-9 about a month ago for $145. Nice board (missing a couple extras yours has, but it has RAID, 8 SATA, 10 USB 2.0, 800mb Firewire, etc...) and is PCI-e/AMD64 so that was what counted. He needed it "right then" so I had to do a lot of hunting last month to find one of these. If only had could have waited for the X800XL to hit $300 (he got a 6600GT instead).

Well, enjoy your new system! If yours is anything like his it will fly and be almost completely quiet!
February 8, 2005 10:40:34 AM

I'm not upset and I'm pretty calm! If my comments seemed rude, I will apologize!

I do still think that many arguments in favor of "high-end" MB features are only marketing pitch.

I don't say that these features are useless. There is a market for Kia/Hyundai and there is a market for Mercedes. The problem is that many people THINK they need Mercedes, when in fact they would be entirely satisfied with Kia... But, if you can afford a Mercedes go for it!

I actually bought a Saburu Impreza 2.5TS instead of a Mazda 3 or Toyota Echo Hatchback... I've done this because I had the money and I wanted to pay for the extras... 4 wheel drive, 165HP engine, 5 star security, etc...

But with MoBo, nah... I don't need those extras! I would not have more fun playing <b>World Of Warcraft</b> with 8 SATA ports or unused 16x PCI-EXPRESS slot! :smile:

-
February 10, 2005 3:53:37 AM

I do see your POV though. Though I find myself in a situation like the buyer with money to burn. I feel like I want to get myself something more luxurious, purely for the heck of it, and for the fact I might actually use some of its features.

Oh and no apologies needed.

--