Select a Notebook

harry33

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2004
Hi guys,
Considering to buy a new notebook for desktop replacement.
Prefer 15''+ 16''screen will be better , 60G HHD at least 5400rpm.I love ASUS L5000GM and Sony.I think P4 2.6Ghz or 2.8Ghz.FSB800 Not for game.Reliable and quiet(noiseless) operation -first priority.
Main Usage:Some prof.programs,spread sheets,Internet,Wireless network
I live in Montreal- Canada.Didn't find ASUS retailer.
Advise please.Should I consider anothe processor type, or another ASUS serie.What about IBM Think Pad G40

All opinions are well come. Thank u in advance

harry

BargainSeeker

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
If quiet operation is your first priority, I would recommend a laptop that uses a Pentium M CPU. A Pentium M produces much less heat than a Pentium 4 so cooling fans do not need to be constantly running (a source of noise). See the following article for a description of the Pentium M and for benchmarks comparing Pentium M and Pentium 4 CPUs: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1800" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1800</A>.

For durability and reliability, it's hard to beat the IBM ThinkPads. The drawbacks of ThinkPads are typically their high prices and limited graphics performance. For you, though, graphics performance is not an issue. You may want to consider an IBM R40 or R50 with a 15" screen such as these two:

<A HREF="http://www.ibm.com/shop/americas/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=&dualCurrId=73&catalogId=-840&partNumber=2897GAU" target="_new">http://www.ibm.com/shop/americas/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=&dualCurrId=73&catalogId=-840&partNumber=2897GAU</A>

<A HREF="http://www.ibm.com/shop/americas/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=&dualCurrId=73&catalogId=-840&partNumber=18363SU" target="_new">http://www.ibm.com/shop/americas/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=&dualCurrId=73&catalogId=-840&partNumber=18363SU</A>

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Firstly, Bargain is quite correct, If you want noiseless operation, stay AWAY from the P4 CPUs.
Secondly, what "Prof.programs" in particular, might you be using?

ASUS make very nice notebooks, but they are nowhere near as reliable or sturdy as IBM or Toshiba. I would definitely consider Sony, though.

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

harry33

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2004
Tx Bargain, I'll go with Pentium M chip.And also I'll follow the Raptur's advise to consider Sony or IBM as u suggested me.

thanks lot

harry

harry33

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2004
Hi Rapture,
I've appreciated you advise so I'll go with Sony or IBM. If u were me, Sony or IBM. The professional programs (I'm a structural Eng.)that I use dont require high processor speed nor high end video cards.

I will appreciate your advise, even u can tell me what IBM or Sony and how could I know about the HHD rpm-

harry

akerman

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
IBM = quality all over, durability
Sony = design, flashy, but the quality/durability doesn't come near IBMs.

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Ah yes, but a LOT of people don't like the way IBM notebooks look at all. I would personally look at the new SONY Z1 range over IBM. The durability is extremely good and the notebook looks beautiful to boot, even though u can only get a 14" Panel, it is a smart, elegant and powerful notebook. I assure you that it will be built to a very high standard, and you will not be let down. <A HREF="http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start;sid=GmsaqyXldycaqWXCynUQoGroiC-W5-XK5ow=?CategoryName=cpu_VAIONotebookComputers_Z1Series&Dept=cpu" target="_new">Link to the Sony notebook </A>

RaPTuRe - I would go for the Sony.

harry33

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2004
I love Sony too but I want to buy a 15'' screen. I have a notebook 14'' it's a bit small.May be after few months Sony will design a new 15'' notebooks with Pentium M processors. I had a look to IBM notebooks T40,R40 R50 too pricy.Tx for your advises.

harry

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Well, if battery life is NOT your primary concern, take a good look at the Sony with the 16" LCD - I believe you can get an additional battery that can run concurrently with the primary battery.

Otherwise, take a look at the Dell Latitude D800 / Inspiron 8600 notebooks - 15.4" WUXGA, and Pentium-M CPU - there are also a number of other Dells with 15" LCD Panels and Pentium-M CPUs, and they are available for much more reasonable prices than the IBMs.

RaPTuRe

harry33

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2004
The battery life is not a concern at all.I checked all the Sony models but 16'' with Pentium M CPU doesn't exist.15-16'' are all P4.I'm happy to hear about DELL but are they relible and durable.I will appreciate your personnel opinion.

harry

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Alright, I assume that you are familiar with mobile Processors ability to change speed and voltage to lower power comsumption. Intel call it SpeedStep, AMD call it PowerNow! but let me quickly explain it to you for the Pentium 4-m and Pentium-M respectively:

- The Pentium 4-m has the ability to operate at full speed, or at a lower speed of 1.2GHz. For Instance, a 2GHz Pentium 4-m can run at 2GHz, but it can also switch down to 1.2GHz when it is on battery. It also has a setting called Dynamic Switching, in which it can switch up and down to full speed extremely quickly.

- The Pentium-M, on the other hand, can switch between 600MHz and its top speed in 200MHz increments (i.e. 600; 800; 1000; 1200; 1400; and 1600MHz for the 1.6GHz CPU). It can also switch off selected areas of its large L2 cache and can lower its voltage considerably when it is not being used. It is primarily, and all but exclusively, a mobile CPU. However, the fasted Pentium-M (1.7GHz) can only perform as well as a 2.8GHz P4-m.

If battery life is not your concern, and you aren't interested in having a high performance notebook, then heat won't really be a problem when you are using your notebook on battery.

If you want a big screen, go for it, I say. Nothing more inpressive than a 16" or 17" notebook!

The Dells are built very well - slightly (very slightly) more so for the Latitude line, because they don't have 'cool' features like swappable LCD covers etc. The new latitudes are sturdier than the previous generation (C-series) and they look the part. Excellent battery life, high performance and business class features (like Gigabit Ethernet etc.).

They are very reliable on the whole, but being the biggest notebook distributor, you always hear the horror stories about them. But at the end of the day Dell is rated the best in terms of customer satisfaction.

RaPTuRe

harry33

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2004
If I understand well the true energy saving processor is the Pentium M.The Pentium 4M save energy only in battery mode and Pentium M -save energy in any mode.Consequently for me the right processor is Pentium_M (I'll use my laptop 99% of the time pluged in in the wall)which will produce less noise when working in non battery mode

Rapture, thank u for your time and in detail explanations. I'm really impressed.

harry

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The P4-M speed steps to a lower speed while plugged in as well. My 3.06 steps to 1.6 when not under load. If I switch power management to "Always On" then it runs at full speed at all times. Even under battery power.

:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink: :evil:

harry33

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2004
Good to know that P-4M switch down even when pluged-in, but no load.How did u know that your P3.06 with no load is working at 1.6Ghz. Did you use some testing software.

harry

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Control panel --> systems

its written there CPU 3.06 ghz and underneath it 1.59
if i set it to always on, both will be 3.06

harry33

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2004
In the general tab I see just one figure 1200 Mhz and underneath 1.19Ghz( my processor iz 1200 celeron. Where can I set always on or something else

harry

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Bigrat, I don't know if you are aware, but the windows 'system' panel is EXTREMELY unreliable. Especially with notebook CPUs. It has given people wild clock speeds ranging from 4GHz on a Pentium 3, to 0.74Hertz on a Pentium-M. Use www.diefer.de's SpeedSwitchXP - it is a GREAT little program, uses all but no resources and is very accurate and allows you perfect control.

RaPTuRe

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well i suppose that its already running at 1.2ghz. as rapture says its not completely accurate.
always on is in the power management. i'm not sure if cellerons are speedstepped. If they're not then there is no difference in setting it to always on

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
haha yeah when i set it to presentation mode it says 800MHz. I have fanGUI reading from the bios and gets 1.59GHz.
Well i checked all of the modes and for me anything that says 1.59 or 3.06 is accurate and anything else is bullshit