Agp8x & pci express mother boards?

Cobane

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
Are there any mother boards that support AGP8x and pciX? I was hoping the Nforce 4 mother boards do because I have a geforce 6800 gt agp8x. But want to get pciX later on.

johnnyinternet

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
why not just wait, you won't see a whole lot of difference. just wait till the card dies(which is still pretty solid at the moment) then get a new card&mobo when they are chaper.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
PCI-X is not the same as PCI-Express, it's an older standard that allows for standard PCI slots to be twice as long (64-bit) and clocked higher.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

However either way there are Mobos that support 8X AGP and PCIe or PCI-X (Mine's AGPPro4X and PCI-X). Heck Cleeve just posted a thread about the new VIA solutions (I know how you love VIA :evil: ), and then there's been the ECS and Gigabyte versions of the Intel boards all that do it.

Anywhooo, either way it can be done, but I'm sure like you that PCI-X will offer him little of what he wants.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
From what Tom's said VIA will have a chipset with two 16-path slots, rather than 2 x16 connectors with x8 pathways. That would require the chipset to support 32-paths.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Future chipset were said to support 36 lanes IIRC. But from what I know this current solution is still only 22 (similar to the ATI).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: