Dell disk and winxp home

i just got a new dell dimension 8300 when my old one cratered. the
problem i have is that they included win xp - in order to keep the
restore file in place, they have created a special non accessible
partition (aapprox 70mb)at the front of the disk to hold this restore
file. the problem is that i cant format the disk, i cant knock this
partition down usin part magic or the install disk partition tools.
therefore i cant even dual boot, i cant do anything except run the
lame winxp home. i have ordered a new disk and plan to install it and
load win2k ( i have used it since it was new). does dell do anything
else to keep me from actualy using my computer the way i want to
instead of how bill gates...oops michael dell wants me to?

You'd think someone complaing about how others won't let them use their
computer the way they want would know more about how to use their
computer.

"dakine" <jbirdie@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>i just got a new dell dimension 8300 when my old one cratered. the
> problem i have is that they included win xp - in order to keep the
> restore file in place, they have created a special non accessible
> partition (aapprox 70mb)at the front of the disk to hold this restore
> file. the problem is that i cant format the disk, i cant knock this
> partition down usin part magic or the install disk partition tools.
> therefore i cant even dual boot, i cant do anything except run the
> lame winxp home. i have ordered a new disk and plan to install it and
> load win2k ( i have used it since it was new). does dell do anything
> else to keep me from actualy using my computer the way i want to
> instead of how bill gates...oops michael dell wants me to?

Just use CopyWipe

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/copywipe.html

tks but copywipe is a DOS program only: Product Description: CopyWipe
is a DOS based disk utility

> tks but copywipe is a DOS program only: Product Description: CopyWipe
> is a DOS based disk utility

which simply means the system never gets as far as loading Windows, the
software takes control of the system before then!

dakine <jbirdie@yahoo.com> wrote:

>i just got a new dell dimension 8300 when my old one cratered. the
>problem i have is that they included win xp - in order to keep the
>restore file in place, they have created a special non accessible
>partition (aapprox 70mb)at the front of the disk to hold this restore
>file. the problem is that i cant format the disk, i cant knock this
>partition down usin part magic or the install disk partition tools.
>therefore i cant even dual boot, i cant do anything except run the
>lame winxp home. i have ordered a new disk and plan to install it and
>load win2k ( i have used it since it was new). does dell do anything
>else to keep me from actualy using my computer the way i want to
>instead of how bill gates...oops michael dell wants me to?

Before you can use your computer the way you want to, you have to
learn something about computers. Neither Bill Gates nor Michael
Dell are your problem, you are your problem. If that Partition
Magic is V7 or higher [needed for XP and, IIRC, even the other
Win NT programs] you already have all the tools you need to do
what you want. Just RTFM, fool.
--
OJ III

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 03:32:10 +0000, dakine wrote:

> i just got a new dell dimension 8300 when my old one cratered. the
> problem i have is that they included win xp - in order to keep the
> restore file in place, they have created a special non accessible
> partition (aapprox 70mb)at the front of the disk to hold this restore
> file. the problem is that i cant format the disk, i cant knock this
> partition down usin part magic or the install disk partition tools.
> therefore i cant even dual boot, i cant do anything except run the
> lame winxp home. i have ordered a new disk and plan to install it and
> load win2k ( i have used it since it was new). does dell do anything
> else to keep me from actualy using my computer the way i want to
> instead of how bill gates...oops michael dell wants me to?

Take a deep breath, it's all in knowing how to install any OS. Windows
2000 Prof/Server gives you the ability to delete/create partitions during
the install process. If you are doing a wipe/install, during the
install process, delete all partitions, reboot, restart the install
process, create any new partitions, finish the installation.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

"Chuckles The Scary Clown" <chuckles@thebigtop.net> wrote in message

> "dakine" <jbirdie@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> tks but copywipe is a DOS program only: Product Description: CopyWipe
>> is a DOS based disk utility
>>

> which simply means the system never gets as far as loading Windows, the
> software takes control of the system before then!

I believe I've also knocked down that diag partition simply using fdisk from
a Win98 boot disk or Resource CD. In fact, I could nearly swear to it....

Stew

I ran across a program supplied by Dell on my hard disk that allowed you to
do just that. Sorry I can't give you the name of the program or it's
location, but I was running one program after another on the Dell utilities
and remember a pop-up asking if it was Ok to delete the hidden partition
"Press Enter to Proceed" ....

As it's less than a gig, are you certain you really want to delete this? May
come in handy someday. Anyway, the utility is supplied by Dell and you
already have it.