Can't boot Windows XP, safe mode screen freezes!

Hi, thanks for responding. I've tried reinstalling the recovery disks
and nothing happens. However, once when I was in the safe mode screen,
I clicked on the Last Configuration settings just for the heck of it and
it came up with an error message:

Windows\System32\Config\System file is missing or corrupt, reinstall
with original windows set up disk.

I don't have the original disk, just the recovery disks that came with
the system. I have a valid product key, which I haven't even be able
to register yet, is there anyway, I can install another copy of XP, but
then use my product key?

I called the place I got it from, and they just said to bring it in.
That's a huge pain for me though.

Any ideas?

p.s. When you say "periferals", can you be more specific?

Thanks.

--
april
april's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=1203

    By peripherals I mean anything connected to the PC, other than monitor, e.g.
    printers/scanners/modem/USB devices etc.
    "Windows\System32\Config\System file is missing or corrupt, reinstall
    with original windows set up disk."
    Means either original Win disk or recovery disk

    "april" <april.1q66tm@news.nospam.local> wrote in message

    > Hi, thanks for responding. I've tried reinstalling the recovery disks
    > and nothing happens. However, once when I was in the safe mode screen,
    > I clicked on the Last Configuration settings just for the heck of it and
    > it came up with an error message:
    >
    > Windows\System32\Config\System file is missing or corrupt, reinstall
    > with original windows set up disk.
    >
    > I don't have the original disk, just the recovery disks that came with
    > the system. I have a valid product key, which I haven't even be able
    > to register yet, is there anyway, I can install another copy of XP, but
    > then use my product key?
    >
    > I called the place I got it from, and they just said to bring it in.
    > That's a huge pain for me though.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > p.s. When you say "periferals", can you be more specific?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > --
    > april
    > april's Profile: