Academic Upgrade from OEM ?

A friend has a computer with Win XP Home that has no Windows disk, just the
manufacturer's install disks. We swapped motherboards and it has turned out
pretty ratty.

We would like to do a clean install of Win XP Professional Academic edition.

Maybe we can use bootitng to shrink the XP partition, create a new NTFS
partition, set a boot item in bootitng to point to the clean partition while
booting the CD, and including the XP Home partition as unhidden.

So, the idea is, Win Academic would see the XP Home, or be shown it by us in
some dialog, and then install itself on the 2nd partition.

Will this work?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Hi,

It would show as long as you made that partition visible to the selected
installation with BootitNG. Acedemic versions generally only do clean
installs, not unlike OEM ones. Plus, they do not usually qualify the system
for later OS upgrades, so make sure you retain the original installed
version.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/