Help with SP 2

Hi,
My name is Barry. I have Windows XP Home edition SP 1. 2.4 GHz Pentium 4
processor, 1 gig memory.

When Win XP SP 2 first came out I let the automatic update download and
install the service pack. This was about a year ago, maybe a little less.
Anyway with SP 2 installed it totally destroyed my computer.

It was stuck in a reboot loop. I could not stop the loop. To make a long
story short I finally had to reformat and start over as a last resort. Good
thing I believe in keeping backups of my files.

Anyway I would like to take advantage of the new service pack. But needless
to say I am concerned that it will cause a crash again.

Has there been any improvements made to the SP to prevent problems?

Should I just leave well enough alone?

Is there any suggestions anyone can give me on installing SP 2 to avoid
problems?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about help

    What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/windo­wsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 Checklist

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Jupiter Jones]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "JL" wrote:

    | Hi,
    | My name is Barry. I have Windows XP Home edition SP 1. 2.4 GHz Pentium 4
    | processor, 1 gig memory.
    |
    | When Win XP SP 2 first came out I let the automatic update download and
    | install the service pack. This was about a year ago, maybe a little less.
    | Anyway with SP 2 installed it totally destroyed my computer.
    |
    | It was stuck in a reboot loop. I could not stop the loop. To make a long
    | story short I finally had to reformat and start over as a last resort. Good
    | thing I believe in keeping backups of my files.
    |
    | Anyway I would like to take advantage of the new service pack. But needless
    | to say I am concerned that it will cause a crash again.
    |
    | Has there been any improvements made to the SP to prevent problems?
    |
    | Should I just leave well enough alone?
    |
    | Is there any suggestions anyone can give me on installing SP 2 to avoid
    | problems?
    |
    | Any thoughts would be helpful.
    |
    | Thanks

    A LOT of the time when people have problems installing service pack 2,
    it is because of outdated drivers. I know if I dont have the latest via
    drivers installed, SP2 will make my pc bluescreen whenever I try to
    access the cd-rom drive.
    Your pc needs to be spyware and virus clean with the latest updates for
    your hardware and software installed.

    P.S.- if you have a retail copy of windows xp, then a lot of the time,
    those reboot loops can be fixed, usually by running a chkdsk /r from
    recovery console.

    slipstream it and do the format / new install

    JL wrote:
    > Anyway, You did say you had a list of checks to do before updating.
    > I really hate to post my correct e-mail address because of the amount
    > of spam I receive when doing so. Is there a way I can contact you
    > off the newsgroup so I can give you my address?

    Reply instead of Reply to Group..
    The email I post with works.

    --
    Shenan Stanley