Help with SP 2

June 5, 2005 10:52:10 PM

Hi,
My name is Barry. I have Windows XP Home edition SP 1. 2.4 GHz Pentium 4
processor, 1 gig memory.

When Win XP SP 2 first came out I let the automatic update download and
install the service pack. This was about a year ago, maybe a little less.
Anyway with SP 2 installed it totally destroyed my computer.

It was stuck in a reboot loop. I could not stop the loop. To make a long
story short I finally had to reformat and start over as a last resort. Good
thing I believe in keeping backups of my files.

Anyway I would like to take advantage of the new service pack. But needless
to say I am concerned that it will cause a crash again.

Has there been any improvements made to the SP to prevent problems?

Should I just leave well enough alone?

Is there any suggestions anyone can give me on installing SP 2 to avoid
problems?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks

More about : question

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 10:52:11 PM

What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windo­wsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Checklist

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Jupiter Jones]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"JL" wrote:

| Hi,
| My name is Barry. I have Windows XP Home edition SP 1. 2.4 GHz Pentium 4
| processor, 1 gig memory.
|
| When Win XP SP 2 first came out I let the automatic update download and
| install the service pack. This was about a year ago, maybe a little less.
| Anyway with SP 2 installed it totally destroyed my computer.
|
| It was stuck in a reboot loop. I could not stop the loop. To make a long
| story short I finally had to reformat and start over as a last resort. Good
| thing I believe in keeping backups of my files.
|
| Anyway I would like to take advantage of the new service pack. But needless
| to say I am concerned that it will cause a crash again.
|
| Has there been any improvements made to the SP to prevent problems?
|
| Should I just leave well enough alone?
|
| Is there any suggestions anyone can give me on installing SP 2 to avoid
| problems?
|
| Any thoughts would be helpful.
|
| Thanks
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 10:52:11 PM

A LOT of the time when people have problems installing service pack 2,
it is because of outdated drivers. I know if I dont have the latest via
drivers installed, SP2 will make my pc bluescreen whenever I try to
access the cd-rom drive.
Your pc needs to be spyware and virus clean with the latest updates for
your hardware and software installed.

P.S.- if you have a retail copy of windows xp, then a lot of the time,
those reboot loops can be fixed, usually by running a chkdsk /r from
recovery console.
June 6, 2005 7:54:08 AM

slipstream it and do the format / new install

"JL" <FakeAddress@TiredOfSpam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> My name is Barry. I have Windows XP Home edition SP 1. 2.4 GHz Pentium 4
> processor, 1 gig memory.
>
> When Win XP SP 2 first came out I let the automatic update download and
> install the service pack. This was about a year ago, maybe a little less.
> Anyway with SP 2 installed it totally destroyed my computer.
>
> It was stuck in a reboot loop. I could not stop the loop. To make a long
> story short I finally had to reformat and start over as a last resort.
> Good
> thing I believe in keeping backups of my files.
>
> Anyway I would like to take advantage of the new service pack. But
> needless
> to say I am concerned that it will cause a crash again.
>
> Has there been any improvements made to the SP to prevent problems?
>
> Should I just leave well enough alone?
>
> Is there any suggestions anyone can give me on installing SP 2 to avoid
> problems?
>
> Any thoughts would be helpful.
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 10:53:33 PM

JL wrote:
> Anyway, You did say you had a list of checks to do before updating.
> I really hate to post my correct e-mail address because of the amount
> of spam I receive when doing so. Is there a way I can contact you
> off the newsgroup so I can give you my address?

Reply instead of Reply to Group..
The email I post with works.

--
Shenan Stanley