Interesting Memo

An interesting memo went out to Dell employees this last week that says
future Inspiron and Dimension systems that ship with CDRW or DVD+-RW
drives in them will no longer include ANY media of any kind.

When you first start the system you will be given an option to burn an
image to CD or DVD for re-install. If you call Dell Support within the
21-day satisfaction period you can ask to have media discs shipped to
you. After that they can only ship media under extreme circumstances.

In fact, I was told, it would be easier for a tech to ship you a new
hard drive with a PC-Restore image on it so that you can make your own
discs again than it would be to ship you the media.

Dell is moving towards a "Zero Media Policy" and "rumour" is that all
software will be sold as downloadable with a $10 to $20 fee if you want
the software shipped on media.

It's gonna get interesting.

"Brad Licatesi" <brad@pitt.jennifer> wrote in message

<snip>

Had a Sony Vaio P4 desktop recently where I had to contact Sony and purchase
restore DVD's and have them overnighted. Discs were about $20. Shipping was
another $20 via DHL.

Sign of the times....

Stew

when I ordered my M60 Feb 2004 I paid for the media to be supplied so it's
not a new move...........

"Brad Licatesi" <brad@pitt.jennifer> wrote in message
> An interesting memo went out to Dell employees this last week that says
> future Inspiron and Dimension systems that ship with CDRW or DVD+-RW
> drives in them will no longer include ANY media of any kind.
>
> When you first start the system you will be given an option to burn an
> image to CD or DVD for re-install. If you call Dell Support within the
> 21-day satisfaction period you can ask to have media discs shipped to
> you. After that they can only ship media under extreme circumstances.
>
> In fact, I was told, it would be easier for a tech to ship you a new
> hard drive with a PC-Restore image on it so that you can make your own
> discs again than it would be to ship you the media.
>
> Dell is moving towards a "Zero Media Policy" and "rumour" is that all
> software will be sold as downloadable with a $10 to $20 fee if you want
> the software shipped on media.
>
> It's gonna get interesting.

This policy is being driven as much by Microsoft as by the PC vendors.
Microsoft doesn't like the idea of having OS install CDs with unused
product keys out in the field. Of course, shipping restore discs does
solve the reinstall problem easily for many users - no fiddling with
drivers, updates, etc. - but it also makes it harder to do a custom
install of Windows.

Brad Licatesi wrote:
> An interesting memo went out to Dell employees this last week that says
> future Inspiron and Dimension systems that ship with CDRW or DVD+-RW
> drives in them will no longer include ANY media of any kind.
>
> When you first start the system you will be given an option to burn an
> image to CD or DVD for re-install. If you call Dell Support within the
> 21-day satisfaction period you can ask to have media discs shipped to
> you. After that they can only ship media under extreme circumstances.
>
> In fact, I was told, it would be easier for a tech to ship you a new
> hard drive with a PC-Restore image on it so that you can make your own
> discs again than it would be to ship you the media.
>
> Dell is moving towards a "Zero Media Policy" and "rumour" is that all
> software will be sold as downloadable with a $10 to $20 fee if you want
> the software shipped on media.
>
> It's gonna get interesting.

I don't see this as a big problem, as long as it helps keep the price of the
system down. With blank CD's costing pennies a peice, it is a negligible
cost to the buyer to burn the copies themselves. I think that when the
customer gets the system and FIRST turns it on, it should give them the
option to burn backup copies then, or place a shortcut on the desktop.

In article <1111287896.570291@news>, imnot@home.com says...
> I don't see this as a big problem, as long as it helps keep the price of the
> system down. With blank CD's costing pennies a peice, it is a negligible
> cost to the buyer to burn the copies themselves. I think that when the
> customer gets the system and FIRST turns it on, it should give them the
> option to burn backup copies then, or place a shortcut on the desktop.

It does. When you turn the system on for the first time, even BEFORE
you fill in your info the system asks you to burn a set of re-install
CDs. You can do it at any time later if you say no and skip it.

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

"> Ben Myers wrote:
>> With the product key affixed somewhat permanently to a computer chassis
>> (ever
>> try to remove one?), the Microsoft policy is more damned foolishness and
>> paranoia, as Bill playes with his riches in the basement of his mansion
>> like
>> Scrooge McDuck... Ben Myers
Actually they are qyuite easy to remove if you know how, we have to do it
all the time when we replace base plastics on laptops so to tamper with the
microsoft "Tamper Proof" product key sticker use a scalpel available from
any craft shop

Ben Myers wrote:
> Yes, there are probably 100 million people in this country in prison garb and
> wearing black masks, all wanting to loot Bill G. So Microsoft's PR (or is it
> propaganda?) department would have you believe... Ben Myers

LOL - for sure, plus the billions across the planet.

Took me a minute to remember - the crooks after McDuck were the Beagle
Boys, weren't they?

I can see it being a nightmare for Dell support. Most consumers who get new
PCs don't think like the people who post on this group. Many will not see
the value of creating these restore disks, until it's too late.
But the concept is not entirely new. I had to do this when I bought my brand
spanking new Mac Performa from Sears in 1992. 20-some floppies and 3 hours
later, the entire OS and Application bundle was backed up. Well, at least
Dell customers won't have babysit the process shuffling disks back and
forth -- at least the ones with DVD burners won't have to.

"pengulin" <apes@nd.edu> wrote in message
>I can see it being a nightmare for Dell support. Most consumers who get new
> PCs don't think like the people who post on this group. Many will not see
> the value of creating these restore disks, until it's too late.
> But the concept is not entirely new. I had to do this when I bought my
> brand
> spanking new Mac Performa from Sears in 1992. 20-some floppies and 3 hours
> later, the entire OS and Application bundle was backed up. Well, at least
> Dell customers won't have babysit the process shuffling disks back and
> forth -- at least the ones with DVD burners won't have to.

Currently the compressed image is small enough to fit on CDR media.
Thankfully, dual-layer DVD R/RW drives are dropping in price considerably
recently.

I picked one up for less than $70 a couple of weeks ago.

But your point is correct; it relies on the user to actually create the
discs and beyond that do no damage to the restore image on the hard disk (or
the hdd itself to not fail).

Stew

"Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 22:29:39 -0600, Brad Licatesi <brad@pitt.jennifer>
> wrote:
>
>>In article <1111287896.570291@news>, imnot@home.com says...
>>> I don't see this as a big problem, as long as it helps keep the price of
>>> the
>>> system down. With blank CD's costing pennies a peice, it is a negligible
>>> cost to the buyer to burn the copies themselves. I think that when the
>>> customer gets the system and FIRST turns it on, it should give them the
>>> option to burn backup copies then, or place a shortcut on the desktop.
>>
>>It does. When you turn the system on for the first time, even BEFORE
>>you fill in your info the system asks you to burn a set of re-install
>>CDs. You can do it at any time later if you say no and skip it.
>

> OKay. I either missed that or said "No". What must be done at this
> point for me to generate useful re-install CDs? I do have a stack of
> CD-Rs, but no DVD+Rs as yet; just a couple of DVD+RWs available at
> this time.
>
> Where is the command to generate reinstall CDs?
>
> Regards,
> de ~ Vince ~

On the newer systems, it can be found under:

start-programs-dell accessories (?)- create a restore disc.

Stew