Should I switch to Fido from Rogers now?

Hi,
I am currently a Rogers customer. Their roaming charges and long
distance prices in the US (although currently I don't do a lot, about a
month a year) piss me off. but costs me about $100 more in long
distance/roaming.

I was planning sometime ago to switch to fido with a contract for a
V400 (their only quad phone, $150 with contract) on their $25 unlimited
incoming promotion... I even asked a friend to refer me to them
(reward is $20 for him and $20 for me).

After the merger: should I drop this or will rogers honor Fido
contracts without lowering service quality over the next 2 years?
Would they force a plan change after the end of the contract?

Would they do things like "you cannot add new phones, features or
whatever without upgrading to a new more expensive plan"?

I have to make my decision before the end of the week as I am
traveling again on 29th.

I am currently Enjoying 6pm-8am weeknights/weekends with my 3 years
old plan (starter $25). Wouldn't like to miss it.

Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about should switch fido rogers

    nospam wrote:
    > After the merger: should I drop this or will rogers honor Fido
    > contracts without lowering service quality over the next 2 years?
    > Would they force a plan change after the end of the contract?

    If current Fido packages would significantly reduce your monthly costs, then
    go for it. You'll have 2 years of service at those rates.

    Worse case scenario, when Fido's network starts to be cannabalised, you pay $5
    more per month you have ability to roam onto Rogers. (Rogers will eventually
    transfer spectrum over to its own network, and will eventually start to
    rationalise antennas).

    Rogers will honour your contract to its end, but may start to lure you with
    different offers during your contract. WIthin one year, I suspect that
    contracts will be renewed as Rogers contracts. So when your contract end, it
    isn't a given that it will be renewed as a Fido contract with your current
    Fido rates.

    Rogers didn't spend 1.4 billion bucks to just buy Microcell and keep it
    totally separate. And there wasn't so much lobbying to remove spectrum caps
    last summer if Rogers really inteneded to keep Microcel totally seperate forever.

    "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
    : nospam wrote:
    ::
    : Worse case scenario, when Fido's network starts to be cannabalised,
    you pay $5
    : more per month you have ability to roam onto Rogers. (Rogers will
    eventually
    : transfer spectrum over to its own network, and will eventually start
    : rationalise antennas).
    :
    : Rogers will honour your contract to its end, but may start to lure
    you with
    : different offers during your contract. WIthin one year, I suspect
    that
    : contracts will be renewed as Rogers contracts. So when your contract
    end, it
    : isn't a given that it will be renewed as a Fido contract with your
    current
    : Fido rates.
    :
    : Rogers didn't spend 1.4 billion bucks to just buy Microcell and keep
    it
    : totally separate. And there wasn't so much lobbying to remove
    spectrum caps
    : last summer if Rogers really inteneded to keep Microcel totally
    seperate forever.

    Agreed, use economics to decide to stay or leave Rogers. The best
    time to switch is right now (Xmas time) as that's when the most deals
    are to be had on price plans and phones.

    Pavel wrote:
    > Agreed, use economics to decide to stay or leave Rogers. The best
    > time to switch is right now (Xmas time) as that's when the most deals
    > are to be had on price plans and phones.

    As long as the plan you have with Fido gives you a better deal than what you
    could get with competitors, there is no reason to leave Fido.

    When Rogers starts to mess with our packages, then you start to look around.

    Fido won't last forever, but lets enjoy it until it ends. It still has better
    rates than others.

    I read somewhere that Rogers will add a $6.95 access fee to CityFido. Can
    anyone confirm this ?

    "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
    : :
    : I read somewhere that Rogers will add a $6.95 access fee to
    CityFido. Can
    : anyone confirm this ?

    I read the same thing. I cant recal where though. It's going to
    happen. No date has been announced. It's safe to say sometime in the
    new year, but Rogers will be waiving the $50 admin fee. Big deal cuz
    that amounts to an additional $34 a year for the City Fido customer
    and $84 for subsequent years. I guess they think they are doing Fido
    customers a favor. Dont be surprised when there is no City Fido at
    all.

    > : I read somewhere that Rogers will add a $6.95 access fee to
    > CityFido. Can
    > : anyone confirm this ?
    >
    > I read the same thing. I cant recal where though. It's going to
    > happen. No date has been announced. It's safe to say sometime in the
    > new year, but Rogers will be waiving the $50 admin fee. Big deal cuz
    > that amounts to an additional $34 a year for the City Fido customer
    > and $84 for subsequent years. I guess they think they are doing Fido
    > customers a favor. Dont be surprised when there is no City Fido at
    > all.

    City Fido will stay, just modified to fit into the Rogers Wireless family of
    offers..

Fido Switch Rogers Internet Service Providers Product