Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should I switch to Fido from Rogers now?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 5:25:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Hi,
I am currently a Rogers customer. Their roaming charges and long
distance prices in the US (although currently I don't do a lot, about a
month a year) piss me off. but costs me about $100 more in long
distance/roaming.

I was planning sometime ago to switch to fido with a contract for a
V400 (their only quad phone, $150 with contract) on their $25 unlimited
incoming promotion... I even asked a friend to refer me to them
(reward is $20 for him and $20 for me).

After the merger: should I drop this or will rogers honor Fido
contracts without lowering service quality over the next 2 years?
Would they force a plan change after the end of the contract?

Would they do things like "you cannot add new phones, features or
whatever without upgrading to a new more expensive plan"?

I have to make my decision before the end of the week as I am
traveling again on 29th.

I am currently Enjoying 6pm-8am weeknights/weekends with my 3 years
old plan (starter $25). Wouldn't like to miss it.

Thanks.

More about : switch fido rogers

Anonymous
November 22, 2004 6:17:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

nospam wrote:
> After the merger: should I drop this or will rogers honor Fido
> contracts without lowering service quality over the next 2 years?
> Would they force a plan change after the end of the contract?

If current Fido packages would significantly reduce your monthly costs, then
go for it. You'll have 2 years of service at those rates.

Worse case scenario, when Fido's network starts to be cannabalised, you pay $5
more per month you have ability to roam onto Rogers. (Rogers will eventually
transfer spectrum over to its own network, and will eventually start to
rationalise antennas).

Rogers will honour your contract to its end, but may start to lure you with
different offers during your contract. WIthin one year, I suspect that
contracts will be renewed as Rogers contracts. So when your contract end, it
isn't a given that it will be renewed as a Fido contract with your current
Fido rates.

Rogers didn't spend 1.4 billion bucks to just buy Microcell and keep it
totally separate. And there wasn't so much lobbying to remove spectrum caps
last summer if Rogers really inteneded to keep Microcel totally seperate forever.
November 28, 2004 2:49:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
news:41A1A05C.1D268F3E@teksavvy.com...
: nospam wrote:
::
: Worse case scenario, when Fido's network starts to be cannabalised,
you pay $5
: more per month you have ability to roam onto Rogers. (Rogers will
eventually
: transfer spectrum over to its own network, and will eventually start
to
: rationalise antennas).
:
: Rogers will honour your contract to its end, but may start to lure
you with
: different offers during your contract. WIthin one year, I suspect
that
: contracts will be renewed as Rogers contracts. So when your contract
end, it
: isn't a given that it will be renewed as a Fido contract with your
current
: Fido rates.
:
: Rogers didn't spend 1.4 billion bucks to just buy Microcell and keep
it
: totally separate. And there wasn't so much lobbying to remove
spectrum caps
: last summer if Rogers really inteneded to keep Microcel totally
seperate forever.

Agreed, use economics to decide to stay or leave Rogers. The best
time to switch is right now (Xmas time) as that's when the most deals
are to be had on price plans and phones.
Related resources
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 2:49:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Pavel wrote:
> Agreed, use economics to decide to stay or leave Rogers. The best
> time to switch is right now (Xmas time) as that's when the most deals
> are to be had on price plans and phones.


As long as the plan you have with Fido gives you a better deal than what you
could get with competitors, there is no reason to leave Fido.

When Rogers starts to mess with our packages, then you start to look around.

Fido won't last forever, but lets enjoy it until it ends. It still has better
rates than others.




I read somewhere that Rogers will add a $6.95 access fee to CityFido. Can
anyone confirm this ?
November 29, 2004 8:47:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
news:41A94588.E6971036@teksavvy.com...
: :
: I read somewhere that Rogers will add a $6.95 access fee to
CityFido. Can
: anyone confirm this ?

I read the same thing. I cant recal where though. It's going to
happen. No date has been announced. It's safe to say sometime in the
new year, but Rogers will be waiving the $50 admin fee. Big deal cuz
that amounts to an additional $34 a year for the City Fido customer
and $84 for subsequent years. I guess they think they are doing Fido
customers a favor. Dont be surprised when there is no City Fido at
all.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 6:36:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

> : I read somewhere that Rogers will add a $6.95 access fee to
> CityFido. Can
> : anyone confirm this ?
>
> I read the same thing. I cant recal where though. It's going to
> happen. No date has been announced. It's safe to say sometime in the
> new year, but Rogers will be waiving the $50 admin fee. Big deal cuz
> that amounts to an additional $34 a year for the City Fido customer
> and $84 for subsequent years. I guess they think they are doing Fido
> customers a favor. Dont be surprised when there is no City Fido at
> all.

City Fido will stay, just modified to fit into the Rogers Wireless family of
offers..
!