6800 U shaky in UT

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I just got a 6800 U card and it doesn’t seem to be running UT all that smoothly. It’s not terribly, but bad enough. UT was playing good with my 9800 P card. I turned on Vsync and that helps, but what else can I do? I uninstalled the ATI drivers, but the control panel is still hanging around and I tried Drive cleaning, but had no luck. I really hate to reinstall windows, even though I could use a good cleaning, just hate to see the problem still be there after words. I also tried the latest driver and the one of the disk. Thanks

DeathClock

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004
Always install standard drivers from the card first and then install new drivers over it or else things could get messed up.
Do you have those problems with other games aswell?

<A HREF="http://worldwar3d.com/afmod" target="_new">Half-Life2:Armed Forces</A>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Thanks…I must say I never heard someone say install a driver over an existing one. I personally don’t think it would matter, but then again I have ATI controls mixed in with my Nvidia settings and I’m not too worried about that either. Ha ha. I’ve only played FareCry and besides low 30 ish frame rates it ran good, but that was at 8xs X 16x and it did better when I lowered it. I’m going to try and lower my Graphic Aperture Size to 128 in the BIOS and see if that helps. I think it’s just a setting and I’ll have to find out what it is.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
I never dealt with removing ATI drivers but if your ATI control panel is still there something did not uninstall right. Try removing ATI drivers again. Edit registry manually and delete all keys related to ATI and Catalyst. Then uninstall Forceware from Add/Remove programs and check registry to make sure that everything related to nVIDIA Corporation is removed (except for nVDVD maybe). Then reinstall your drivers.

Since you said that your PC could use some serious cleaning - do it. When was the last time you defragged? Check to see if your Global Driver Settings (the defaults in nVIDIA control panel) have AA and AF enabled. I have not touched UT2004 in a while and I don’t recall if the game has internal AA / AF controls. If it does and you have them enabled both in the driver and in the game, this will surely mess up your frame rates.

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:

Orion_THG_pl

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2004
If u change from ATI to nVidia u should reinstall the system.

Moderator @ <A HREF="http://www.community.tomshardware.pl/community/wwwthreads.pl" target="_new">http://www.community.tomshardware.pl/community/wwwthreads.pl</A> :p... damn i miss those moderator buttons out here, especially the "ban user/host" ;).

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Thanks for the tips. I coped them to check out when I feel like messing, because I might just do a cleaning. Yupe, something did uninstall right. It doesn’t seem to cause any problems though besides the fact they shouldn’t be there. I found a fix, but not what I wanted. For some reason when I moved the mouse from side to side it was a little jerky, so I tried running UT in OpenGL and it works 100% better. I turned all the setting on, lowered the color and set my card to high settings and 8X16x and it looks and plays sweat with 110 FPS. Thanks again for taking the time.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
If u change from ATI to nVidia u should reinstall the system
Wrong.

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Maybe I should, but I won’t with over 30GB of games alone. Besides to many times people reinstall only to have the same problem.