tech help with new game

My wife and kids got me a new game for my birthday - It's a Time Pilot
in a Phoenix cabinet. Made by Canturi 1982 - When we turn it on, we can
hear the game play but no picture on the monitor. They told me that the
previous owner said that the monitor used to work but kept getting
dimmer and dimmer until it finally went dark. Where should I look
first? This is the first NON ATARI cabinet I have worked on and not
sure what does what. There is a large transformer in the bottom of the
cab, looks like 2 heavy wires come from it to the board on the monitor.
I haven't checked for voltage yet because I'm not sure where to check
it and what it should be. The fact that it kept getting dimmer should
be a clue but I have no idea what it might mean. Does it mean anything
to you guys? Any help would be appreciated, thanks...

-Dave
6 answers Last reply
More about tech game

    If you can not find any markings. Take a look at Bobs site.
    www.therealbobroberts.com. He has a monitor chasie ID page.
    He also sells Cap kits for your monitor chasie. I would start there.

    RJ

    "UPDATE" The monitor is a Toei Musen CM-A20. Check this out - while I
    was fixing the speaker and florescent attract assembly, the picture
    came on, it wasn't pretty but it was a picture. I figured all I
    needed to do was adjust the picture, it was not using the whole screen
    and the images were not clear and sharp, sort of bent and out of
    alignment. Seemed like the red and white were not in the same place.
    Then while I was adjusting it, the picture started to shrink, dim and
    then disappear again. Now I am back to no picture but at least I got a
    glimpse of game play. Do you think there is hope for it? Now what
    should I check? I know it was at least getting some power, at least for
    a few min. Also, the game was on for a good 5 min. before the video
    came on.

    -Dave

    I'm guessing the flyback went on the monitor. Can you tell what kind of
    monitor it is? Often there is a white rectangular label somewhere on the
    metal part of the chassis.

    "dbpbandit" <davep@premierbev.com> wrote in message
    > My wife and kids got me a new game for my birthday - It's a Time Pilot
    > in a Phoenix cabinet. Made by Canturi 1982 - When we turn it on, we can
    > hear the game play but no picture on the monitor. They told me that the
    > previous owner said that the monitor used to work but kept getting
    > dimmer and dimmer until it finally went dark. Where should I look
    > first? This is the first NON ATARI cabinet I have worked on and not
    > sure what does what. There is a large transformer in the bottom of the
    > cab, looks like 2 heavy wires come from it to the board on the monitor.
    > I haven't checked for voltage yet because I'm not sure where to check
    > it and what it should be. The fact that it kept getting dimmer should
    > be a clue but I have no idea what it might mean. Does it mean anything
    > to you guys? Any help would be appreciated, thanks...
    >
    > -Dave

    Hi Dave,
    Start with a cap kit for the monitor. Bob has them for sale.
    Also go over the solder joints and touch them up were needed.

    RJ

    Cap kit is on order, should be here in a few days. I will do the kit
    and then see what happens. Thanks..

    -Dave

    I got the cap kit but haven't had a chance to install it yet. I noticed
    that this kit doesn't include the 2 transistors that are mounted on the
    chassis, should I replace these too? Another thing I noticed, looks
    like the previous owner has messed with the sliding adjusters on the
    neck of the monitor. In the event the cap kit works, how hard is it to
    adjust these?

    Dave

Games Monitors Video Games