Vintage "House Rules" arcade signs

After seeing those vintage arcade photos I was finally motivated to
finish up this set of signs I've been working on for a year.

http://www.peterhirschberg.com/arcade/art.htm

Enjoy!

-Peter
68 answers Last reply
More about vintage house rules arcade signs

    Beautiful job! Thanks! I would guesstimate the size from the picture to
    be 30 to 36 inches wide.

    --
    Cliffy - CARGPB2
    A passion for pinball!

    Thanks for your addition to our hobby!

    <peter@peterhirschberg.com> wrote in message
    > After seeing those vintage arcade photos I was finally motivated to
    > finish up this set of signs I've been working on for a year.
    >
    > http://www.peterhirschberg.com/arcade/art.htm
    >
    > Enjoy!
    >
    > -Peter

    I found that there was actually a 2nd type of bottom piece (different
    wording), so I've updated the sign to include both types of bottom
    pieces.

    I've also added a new retro "Gift Coupons" arcade sign!

    http://www.peterhirschberg.com/arcade/art.htm

    Does anyone have any other suggestions for things that would make good
    arcade/gameroom signs? I figured maybe a "Change" or "Tokens" sign, but
    I haven't seen any that I really like yet.

    -Peter

    PS - Does anybody know what the itty bitty lettering says (under "legal
    guardian" on the hanging sign)?? It's unreadable in all the photos I
    can find.
    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=24816395&context=set-553223&size=o

    someone should do a professional print of these and offer them. if
    peter allows it. I would love to put this im my gameroom but would
    like it to not be an inkjet copy. maybe one of the graphics guys could
    take this on, Darin? ArcadeShop? Archer? What were the signs
    originally printed on?

    I would actually like one too if someone does a nice job printing it. I
    didn't get as far as figuring out how to print them out yet. Was just
    trying to the get art done. :-)

    My recollection is that the rules signs were silkscreened on plexi or
    some sort of plastic. Not sure about the "gift coupons" sign. That one
    may just be printed on foamcore.

    I'd support any effort to get these formally produced.

    -Peter

    John Hacker wrote:
    > If someone takes this on for printing I would buy them.
    >
    > "Zimmer" <phil@zimmerland.com> wrote in message
    > > someone should do a professional print of these and offer them. if
    > > peter allows it. I would love to put this im my gameroom but would
    > > like it to not be an inkjet copy. maybe one of the graphics guys could
    > > take this on, Darin? ArcadeShop? Archer? What were the signs
    > > originally printed on?

    A fiend of mine had a nice hand painted sign from an amusement park
    arcade.
    "No loitering: If you ain't playin then you ain't stayin!"
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I'd buy one, too--that'd be a great addition to the arcade!

    -Dave Ellis
    http://www.davesclassicarcade.com
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    hopefully someone will take this on and do it right!

    phil
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I could take a stab at it. I have a friend who owns a print shop. He
    prints on Kodak paper, in flat or glossy finish.
    Looks amazing though. If we could come up with a standard size that
    everyone agrees upon we can
    go from there. He can also plak-mount them on wood too. The largest
    canvas size that he can print on is 20 x 28
    inches. If anyone is interested, suggest a size for the poster and
    I'll gladly look into it. That sign is pretty cool. Great work.

    ~JoFF
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I've been looking for one of those for forever. Thank you for
    providing the artwork. Now if one of you enterprising gents feel like
    producing a run of these signs, please add me to the list of interested
    parties.
    Brian
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    If someone takes this on for printing I would buy them.

    "Zimmer" <phil@zimmerland.com> wrote in message
    > someone should do a professional print of these and offer them. if
    > peter allows it. I would love to put this im my gameroom but would
    > like it to not be an inkjet copy. maybe one of the graphics guys could
    > take this on, Darin? ArcadeShop? Archer? What were the signs
    > originally printed on?

  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I vote Plexi. Size I'm not so particular about.
    Brian
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I would vote plexi as well, with the image being printed on both sides
    (as I think they originally were) so they can be hung in the middle of
    a room.

    I'm trying to find out the proper size.

    -Peter
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Sign me up as well....pun intended :) depends on cost of course...in
    plexi
    Josh
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I can send this off to my printer for a quote. I'd like to take a poll as
    to what material you'd like it printed on. The fanicer the material, the
    higher the cost. It can be done like a CPO, and you could stick it to
    something. Or it can be done on plexi. LMK what people would prefer, and I
    can get some pricing. Also, I'd like to get some input on sizing.

    <peter@peterhirschberg.com> wrote in message
    > After seeing those vintage arcade photos I was finally motivated to
    > finish up this set of signs I've been working on for a year.
    >
    > http://www.peterhirschberg.com/arcade/art.htm
    >
    > Enjoy!
    >
    > -Peter

  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    i vote plexi also, proper size if possible!
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I could cut these out of vinyl.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I could cut these out of vinyl. But keep in mind if they are cut from
    vinyl and you have multiple colors each color will be a seperate decal
    so it will have to be applied seperately. I could add registration
    marks to make it easier to line up though. They could be made to mount
    on the front of something or to be mounted on the back of plexiglass if
    needed.
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Cool signs, but how do you not loiter when you are waiting to play a game ?
    :)

    > I found that there was actually a 2nd type of bottom piece (different
    > wording), so I've updated the sign to include both types of bottom
    > pieces.
    >
    > I've also added a new retro "Gift Coupons" arcade sign!
    >
    > http://www.peterhirschberg.com/arcade/art.htm
    >
    > Does anyone have any other suggestions for things that would make good
    > arcade/gameroom signs? I figured maybe a "Change" or "Tokens" sign, but
    > I haven't seen any that I really like yet.
    >
    > -Peter
    >
    > PS - Does anybody know what the itty bitty lettering says (under "legal
    > guardian" on the hanging sign)?? It's unreadable in all the photos I
    > can find.
    > http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=24816395&context=set-553223&size=o

  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    not loitering if you have a quarter on the cp reserving signifying you have
    next "dibs"...

    "VaxX" <geoff_gunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Cool signs, but how do you not loiter when you are waiting to play a game
    > ?
    > :)
    >

    > <peter@peterhirschberg.com> wrote in message
    >> I found that there was actually a 2nd type of bottom piece (different
    >> wording), so I've updated the sign to include both types of bottom
    >> pieces.
    >>
    >> I've also added a new retro "Gift Coupons" arcade sign!
    >>
    >> http://www.peterhirschberg.com/arcade/art.htm
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any other suggestions for things that would make good
    >> arcade/gameroom signs? I figured maybe a "Change" or "Tokens" sign, but
    >> I haven't seen any that I really like yet.
    >>
    >> -Peter
    >>
    >> PS - Does anybody know what the itty bitty lettering says (under "legal
    >> guardian" on the hanging sign)?? It's unreadable in all the photos I
    >> can find.
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=24816395&context=set-553223&size=o

  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Definitely plexi. I think I know someone local who actually has an
    original of this sign. I'll see if I can find out what size it is.

    -Dave Ellis
    http://www.davesclassicarcade.com
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Vinyl would probably be the least expensive option, and would look the
    best. No sense in printing something this simple and with so few
    colors.

    Wade
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    maybe i dont understand the vinyl option, but would each letter then
    have to be its own decal? seems to be like that would be very
    diffifult. with so few colors and the good response to this idea, im
    hoping chuk will get us a great quote for screening them as soon as we
    hopefully get some dimensions.

    phil
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    my confusion is from Earl saying each color would be a seperate decal.
    how is that possible without each letter being a seperate decal?
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Awesome! Thanks for the details Brian!! That's a HUGE help!

    Whoa. Pressed wood. Not sure what to do about that!

    -Peter
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    The problem with vinyl seems to be that you'd have to do some layering
    of the different colors (ie, the black symbols would go on top of the
    yellow background and the red prohibition symbols would go on top of
    both of those). It would start looking all bumpy and ugly IMO.

    -Peter
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    i think chuk is talking about one big vinyl sticker, not color
    seperated. With both optional hangers this sign would be around 4ft
    wide by 4 ft tall! wow. thats a big sticker. I hope this project
    keeps the momentum. these would be great!
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I'd be cool with a single vinyl sticker! You could just plaster one on
    each side of any hunk o' wood, cardboard, or plexi. Whatever you
    wanted.

    Brian, since you said you have one of these, could you download the .ai
    file (or I can send you a high-rez bitmap file if you don't have a
    program to view .ai files) and just do a sanity check before a bunch of
    people spend money to get this sign made and get all mad at me because
    of some stupid mistake. :-)

    Thanks!
    -Peter
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    No, it would basically be printed like a CPO is. All on one sheet with an
    adhesive back.

    > maybe i dont understand the vinyl option, but would each letter then
    > have to be its own decal? seems to be like that would be very
    > diffifult. with so few colors and the good response to this idea, im
    > hoping chuk will get us a great quote for screening them as soon as we
    > hopefully get some dimensions.
    >
    > phil

  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    chuk i think 1/2 size would be appropriate, other please chime in. not
    too excited about 1/4 size. now that we have an idea of size and a
    material are we close to having an idea on cost?
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I second the thanks for the info, Brian!

    I agree with Chuk--maybe a smaller version would be a more palatable
    option. I know the space I was planning to put it is much smaller than
    46" wide.

    -Dave Ellis
    http://www.davesclassicarcade.com
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    In that case, I think i'd be in favor of the vinyl sticker option. That way
    the person could supply their own wood, etc.

    > Awesome! Thanks for the details Brian!! That's a HUGE help!
    >
    > Whoa. Pressed wood. Not sure what to do about that!
    >
    > -Peter

  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    How about 24" wide? Seems like a reasonable size, although the
    unreasonable purist in me may still want a full-sized one.

    -Peter
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Hey. The kind of wood you are probably talking about is called
    hardboard.
    It is usually smooth on one side, and rough on the other.
    Same stuff pegboard is made of.
    Tempered hardboard is best.It is stronger, and smooth on both sides.
    So it would be 1/4" tempered hardboard.
    I would be interested in a sign as well, whatever size you come up
    with.
    Rob.
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    peter@peterhirschberg.com wrote:
    > The problem with vinyl seems to be that you'd have to do some layering
    > of the different colors (ie, the black symbols would go on top of the
    > yellow background and the red prohibition symbols would go on top of
    > both of those). It would start looking all bumpy and ugly IMO.
    >
    > -Peter

    The layering of the vinyl is not a problem. The black symbols don't
    have to be stuck onto the yellow, they can just be voids IN the yellow
    layer. And, depending on how the vinyl design is created or adjusted,
    it is possible to have no layering whatsoever.

    I have had signs like this made before and they look fantastic. Even
    with extra layers, it isn't visible. You can usually only tell it
    isn't printed by just feeling it with your fingertip.

    This would look very much like the original, possibly more so than the
    other options mentioned here.

    Also, all letters/symbols for each color would typically be on a single
    sticker. It wouldn't be necessary to stick each letter separately. It
    is also possible to combine all the colors onto one sticker, then the
    installation is practically foolproof. This is all dependent on the
    person who creates the stickers.

    Wade
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I would still prefer a single sheet with everything, including the
    black, all on one layer. Gives the most flexibility for mounting and
    keeps my kids from picking the letters and little bits off. :-P

    -Peter
  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Hi all!

    Just found out about this thread and I can give you some answers! I
    actually have one of these original signs hanging in my gameroom:
    http://thebrokenjoystick.com/pictures/gameroom-current/MVC_002F
    http://thebrokenjoystick.com/pictures/miscpics/sign1
    http://thebrokenjoystick.com/pictures/miscpics/sign2

    I got it from a collector in Atlanta that had one in his gameroom (he
    had two total). I can't remember his name or URL (if only I had GMail
    back then). I do remember that last time I saw his site he said he was
    taking it down.

    I just measured the sign - it is 46" x 23" x 1/4"
    It is made of some kind of pressed wood - it's not particle board or MDF
    - I have seen this type of wood before....ah - you know that relatively
    cheap furniture you buy disassembled and put together? Entertainment
    centers and such? The BACK of them you always have to nail on...it's
    kind of like that only a bit thicker and stronger. If you REALLY want to
    know, I can take some closeup pics of the hanging holes in it - it shows
    what it's made of.

    BTW - NICE job on the art!

    If you have any other questions, let me know.
    My real email address is at http://thebrokenjoystick.com/email

    Brian
    http://thebrokenjoystick.com
    http://myvogonpoetry.com
  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Does it look like its screened directly to the wood, or does it look like a
    sticker?

    "Brian Pipa" <seewebsiteforemail@thebrokenjoystick.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all!
    >
    > Just found out about this thread and I can give you some answers! I
    > actually have one of these original signs hanging in my gameroom:
    > http://thebrokenjoystick.com/pictures/gameroom-current/MVC_002F
    > http://thebrokenjoystick.com/pictures/miscpics/sign1
    > http://thebrokenjoystick.com/pictures/miscpics/sign2
    >
    > I got it from a collector in Atlanta that had one in his gameroom (he had
    > two total). I can't remember his name or URL (if only I had GMail back
    > then). I do remember that last time I saw his site he said he was taking
    > it down.
    >
    > I just measured the sign - it is 46" x 23" x 1/4"
    > It is made of some kind of pressed wood - it's not particle board or MDF -
    > I have seen this type of wood before....ah - you know that relatively
    > cheap furniture you buy disassembled and put together? Entertainment
    > centers and such? The BACK of them you always have to nail on...it's kind
    > of like that only a bit thicker and stronger. If you REALLY want to know,
    > I can take some closeup pics of the hanging holes in it - it shows what
    > it's made of.
    >
    > BTW - NICE job on the art!
    >
    > If you have any other questions, let me know.
    > My real email address is at http://thebrokenjoystick.com/email
    >

    > Brian
    > http://thebrokenjoystick.com
    > http://myvogonpoetry.com
  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Whoa, thats kinda big. I'm wondering if people would prefer a smaller
    version since many people don't have that much space in their gameroom. I'm
    thinking 1/2 or 1/4 that size.

    "Brian Pipa" <seewebsiteforemail@thebrokenjoystick.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all!
    >
    > Just found out about this thread and I can give you some answers! I
    > actually have one of these original signs hanging in my gameroom:
    > http://thebrokenjoystick.com/pictures/gameroom-current/MVC_002F
    > http://thebrokenjoystick.com/pictures/miscpics/sign1
    > http://thebrokenjoystick.com/pictures/miscpics/sign2
    >
    > I got it from a collector in Atlanta that had one in his gameroom (he had
    > two total). I can't remember his name or URL (if only I had GMail back
    > then). I do remember that last time I saw his site he said he was taking
    > it down.
    >
    > I just measured the sign - it is 46" x 23" x 1/4"
    > It is made of some kind of pressed wood - it's not particle board or MDF -
    > I have seen this type of wood before....ah - you know that relatively
    > cheap furniture you buy disassembled and put together? Entertainment
    > centers and such? The BACK of them you always have to nail on...it's kind
    > of like that only a bit thicker and stronger. If you REALLY want to know,
    > I can take some closeup pics of the hanging holes in it - it shows what
    > it's made of.
    >
    > BTW - NICE job on the art!
    >
    > If you have any other questions, let me know.
    > My real email address is at http://thebrokenjoystick.com/email
    >

    > Brian
    > http://thebrokenjoystick.com
    > http://myvogonpoetry.com
  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I can cut one out and see how it looks, I'll cut it in 1 color so the
    quality can be seen. It would be harder to lay each color down but
    wouldn't be impossible, espicall if it is done wet. As for the size I
    can cut the maximun width is 22 inches wide by however long you want
    it. I cut some decals for the byoac forum and a few others. I'll try to
    get some pics of them. I even have a Joust decal that was multi-colored
    that looked great, and them some space invaders that I did up.

    Earl
  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I would definately do it as one piece. I wouldn't even consider doing it
    any other way. I've sent it off to my printer for a quote, but
    unfortunately, my sales rep is on vacation for the next week. I passed it
    on to someone else there, but I'm not sure if they can help me or not.

    >I would still prefer a single sheet with everything, including the
    > black, all on one layer. Gives the most flexibility for mounting and
    > keeps my kids from picking the letters and little bits off. :-P
    >
    > -Peter

  42. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    videorob wrote:
    > Hey. The kind of wood you are probably talking about is called
    > hardboard.
    > It is usually smooth on one side, and rough on the other.
    > Same stuff pegboard is made of.
    > Tempered hardboard is best.It is stronger, and smooth on both sides.
    > So it would be 1/4" tempered hardboard.
    > I would be interested in a sign as well, whatever size you come up
    > with.
    > Rob.

    It's also called pressboard or (and I have been trying to remember this
    all day) Masonite.

    I want a game room to put the sign in first...one thing at a time. ^__^

    --G'Cat
  43. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Brian, in examining the photos of your sign closely, I can see one or
    two areas I want to touch up on my artwork for accuracy. Just a
    heads-up to anybody getting ready to print it. I'll post here after I
    finish.

    -Peter
  44. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Plexi or foam board. I would suggest 24" wide for small and 36" if
    people could hang a large one.

    Chuk wrote:
    > I can send this off to my printer for a quote. I'd like to take a poll as
    > to what material you'd like it printed on. The fanicer the material, the
    > higher the cost. It can be done like a CPO, and you could stick it to
    > something. Or it can be done on plexi. LMK what people would prefer, and I
    > can get some pricing. Also, I'd like to get some input on sizing.

    --
    Cliffy - CARGPB2
    A passion for pinball!
    http://www.passionforpinball.com
  45. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I've got access to a 60" plotter -- an HP DesignJet 5500 UVPS. It would
    be easy to print these on adhesive-backed vinyl with UV inks at any
    size up to 60" wide. We've been using it to print full auto-wrap
    graphics for our company trucks. The quality is absolutely amazing. I
    may plot one for myself just to check it out.

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236251-236266-12600-236266-82218.html

    azskygod@hotmail.com
  46. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    videorob wrote:
    > Hey. The kind of wood you are probably talking about is called
    > hardboard.
    > It is usually smooth on one side, and rough on the other.
    > Same stuff pegboard is made of.
    > Tempered hardboard is best.It is stronger, and smooth on both sides.
    > So it would be 1/4" tempered hardboard.

    YES! That's it!

    Brian
  47. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    peter@peterhirschberg.com wrote:
    > Brian, since you said you have one of these, could you download the .ai
    > file (or I can send you a high-rez bitmap file if you don't have a
    > program to view .ai files) and just do a sanity check before a bunch of
    > people spend money to get this sign made and get all mad at me because
    > of some stupid mistake. :-)

    I used the included "preview" image you had and compared it to mine nad
    they look pretty darn close. The only thing I could see (and it's
    probably not worth mentioning) is that the original sign's font
    looks....I don't know what the rigth word is...."poofier" than yours.
    The original's look more pillowy/fatter. Not by much, really and
    probably not worth mentioning. Or...it could just be me.

    Brian
  48. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Is that UV inks as in blacklight responsive? Hoooo that would be cool.

    -Peter
  49. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Is that UV inks as in blacklight responsive? Hooooo...that would be
    cool.

    -Peter

Games Video Video Games Product