Problem with 1901 FP Monitor

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b C Monitor
March 19, 2005 1:20:39 AM

Today while I was reaching for something on a shelf, I accidentally
bumped my Dell 1901FP flat panel monitor with my hand and it suddenly
went dark, the image replaced by the "digital test" screensaver in a
little box, letting me know that the monitor was not detecting a signal
from the computer. It was really not a very hard bump at all. At the
time of this incident I was running only Internet Explorer and had not
installed anything new for some time. I also do plenty of regular virus
and spyware checks.

Well, I powered everything off (computer and monitor) and then
checked all the cable connections. Then I powered on the computer and
monitor again. The computer booted up fine - after the normal interval
I could hear the Windows greeting music. However, the monitor still
insisted that it was not detecting a signal from the computer. If it's
not the monitor or the cables, does that mean it's a problem with the
video card? Can anyone suggest what I should do now? (I do have an old
monitor I could use for test purposes but it weighs 60 pounds and I'd
really rather not have to lift it onto my desk.)

My system is a Dimension 8300, P4 3 Ghz, 1GB RAM, 120 MB HD (7200
RPM), video card is 128 MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 PRO. OS is Windows XP
Home, SP2.

-- Hal Terrie

More about : problem 1901 monitor

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 19, 2005 2:25:44 AM

Notan wrote:
> "hal[remove this]terrie@worldnet.att.net" wrote:
> >
> > Today while I was reaching for something on a shelf, I
accidentally
> > bumped my Dell 1901FP flat panel monitor with my hand and it
suddenly
> > went dark, the image replaced by the "digital test" screensaver in
> > little box, letting me know that the monitor was not detecting a
signal
> > from the computer. It was really not a very hard bump at all. At
the
> > time of this incident I was running only Internet Explorer and had
not
> > installed anything new for some time. I also do plenty of regular
virus
> > and spyware checks.
> >
> > Well, I powered everything off (computer and monitor) and then
> > checked all the cable connections. Then I powered on the computer
and
> > monitor again. The computer booted up fine - after the normal
interval
> > I could hear the Windows greeting music. However, the monitor still
> > insisted that it was not detecting a signal from the computer. If
it's
> > not the monitor or the cables, does that mean it's a problem with
the
> > video card? Can anyone suggest what I should do now? (I do have an
old
> > monitor I could use for test purposes but it weighs 60 pounds and
I'd
> > really rather not have to lift it onto my desk.)
> >
> > My system is a Dimension 8300, P4 3 Ghz, 1GB RAM, 120 MB HD
(7200
> > RPM), video card is 128 MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 PRO. OS is Windows
XP
> > Home, SP2.
>
> I forgot which one it is, but if my memory serves me correctly,
> pressing one of the 3 small buttons, on the front of the monitor,
> should bring things back to normal.
>
> Notan

D'oh! Yes, that worked. Thank you. My face is very red.

-- Hal Terrie
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 19, 2005 2:36:28 AM

"hal[remove this]terrie@worldnet.att.net" wrote:

> Today while I was reaching for something on a shelf, I accidentally
> bumped my Dell 1901FP flat panel monitor with my hand and it suddenly
> went dark, the image replaced by the "digital test" screensaver in a
> little box, letting me know that the monitor was not detecting a signal
> from the computer. It was really not a very hard bump at all. At the
> time of this incident I was running only Internet Explorer and had not
> installed anything new for some time. I also do plenty of regular virus
> and spyware checks.
>
> Well, I powered everything off (computer and monitor) and then
> checked all the cable connections. Then I powered on the computer and
> monitor again. The computer booted up fine - after the normal interval
> I could hear the Windows greeting music. However, the monitor still
> insisted that it was not detecting a signal from the computer. If it's
> not the monitor or the cables, does that mean it's a problem with the
> video card? Can anyone suggest what I should do now? (I do have an old
> monitor I could use for test purposes but it weighs 60 pounds and I'd
> really rather not have to lift it onto my desk.)
>
> My system is a Dimension 8300, P4 3 Ghz, 1GB RAM, 120 MB HD (7200
> RPM), video card is 128 MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 PRO. OS is Windows XP
> Home, SP2.

I forgot which one it is, but if my memory serves me correctly,
pressing one of the 3 small buttons, on the front of the monitor,
should bring things back to normal.

Notan
a b C Monitor
March 19, 2005 1:11:40 PM

"Hal Terrie" <halterrie@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:1111217144.171774.12500@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

> D'oh! Yes, that worked. Thank you. My face is very red.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but if hitting the input select made the
digital test screen go away and the video card signal come back, that
makes me think you are connected via analog cable. True? If so, I'm
curious as to why you aren't connecting via DVI.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 19, 2005 1:15:06 PM

No problem. The middle button on the lower right corner of the monitor
switches between using the digital input or the analog input.

You probably just accidently hit that button and switched modes.

"hal[remove this]terrie@worldnet.att.net" <halterrie@worldnet.att.net> wrote
in message news:1111213239.145543.118370@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

!