HIS 9800PRO/asus m/b compatibility

pg666

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2005
I've recently bought an ASUS P4C800 mb and an HIS ICEQ9800pro 128mb GC. I cannot enable either fast write or AGP X4/X8 from the GC's software. The m/b user guide states that it supports AGP X8 at 0.8v or X4 at 1.5v. I think my GC is 3.3v (according to 3d mark '05)so is this the reason I cannot enable AGP X8 or fast write?. The system is stable but can anybody answer to what extent it is being slowed down by not being able to use the two features?

cleeve

Illustrious
Luckily, both Fast Writes and 8x AGP aren't very important in the big scheme ofthings; you're losing maybe 5% performance on average. It's nothing to write home about.

If you really want those features, find a motherboard forum and ask around for other P4C800 mobo users, they might have some tricks or at least advice up their sleeves.

pg666

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2005
Thnaks for that. Do you know if and how I could overclosck my gcard and where to get downloads for benchmark testing eg which game demos are best for making comparisons?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, don't worry about compatability, the 9800 Pro automatically adapts to your boards AGP voltage and is compatable with 0.8v, 1.5v and 3.3v standards (universally compatable and automatically adjusting). As for fast writes, they aren't important. And AGP8x, it's not necessary, but should work fine.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>