Stupid newbie question.

JGcom

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2005
Hi all,

I've not followed graphics cards properly since the days of TNT2 and Voodo cards and wanting to upgrade my current machine I'm at a bit of a loss as how to start.

I'm on a P4 1.8Mhz Dell with 256MB RAM and a GEFORCE MX card. I think I'm in the stone age so to speak.

If I upgrade this machine what sort of card should I perhaps look at? I'm on a budget but want to make an upgrade worthwhile. I'm probably going to max out my RAM at the same time and think I can overclock to 2.0mhz (if that's a good idea?)

A few pointers would be appreciated and sorry if these are annoying questions that should be asked elsewhere.

lik

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2004
IMO the cpu upgrade is no worth to do. You can build up a good machine in a budget, just have to choose the right components! Because with that rig you will be always behind in performance!

P4-2800->FSB800, Asus P4P800, 512DDR-400, Creative GeForce DDR (the first one lol)

pauldh

Illustrious
While there's nothing wrong with trying some overclocking like you mentioned to ad some free performance, you don't want to sink alot of money into improving that machine. Any idea what ram you have? PC133 SDRAM, PC2100 DDR, PC800 RDRAM ? If it's DDR you are in good shape. If it's PC100/PC133 SDRAM, then that cripples the P4's, but you should be able to still find some cheap. Just don't spend alot of money on SDR for that machine. If it's Rambus, then adding another pair probably would be very expensive and not worth the money.

Honestly, you are in a near not worth upgrading situation. <b>I would say adding 256MB of ram and buying a $110 Radeon 9600 pro or used $125 Radeon 9700 pro would be about all I would do on that machine.</b> That would do wonders for you. Buton that machine, going beyond that is a waste IMO. Maxing out the memory whether DDR or ugh PC100/133 SDRAM, and you are still stuck with a slow platform and memory that you will not be reusing in your next system. Honestly, if you were in a possition where your memory was maxed out already, then it might be more worth it to upgrade the CPU to the highest one supported. Otherwise, it's hard to justify putting money into RAM or CPU. And considering that you can buy a NF3 mobo and A64 2800+ retail for $192 through zipzoomfly now.

So again I say 1)add 256MB ram and a 9600 pro or 2)upgrade the whole computer (mobo/cpu/ram/video card). Only situation I'd say possible do more is if your mobo supports DDR and 533 bus CPU's. This is a big IF. But if so, then you could consider upgrading the CPU, maxing out the PC2100 DDR, and adding up to a 9800 pro/ GF6600GT card. But just realize you are getting alot less for your money than if you upgraded to a S754 mobo/A64 2800+/1GB PC3200/GF6600GT.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Is your Gforce MX AGP?
Gforce 2 or Gforce 3 or Gforce 4?

If you don't have an AGP slot then your DELL is an internet machine.

If you have an AGP slot then you might extend the life of your PC with a ATI based 9600Pro. Almost positive your AGP slot will be 4X and you may have to be careful abit about that. Most AGP cards today say they are 8X/4X but some say 8X only.

Read the guide at the top of the forum.

The loving are the daring!