Content Advisor Bug

Content Advisor blocks all web browsing.

I can not remove an item on Approved Sites.

The item is a blank (14 spaces) with the Never checked.

Action: Delete

Apply, OK

I go back in and the item is still there, like a virus.

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about content advisor

    Hi Power Mack,

    Try this solution, courtesy of MVP Jim Byrd.

    Quote:

    If you wish to restore Content Advisor to its original condition (because of
    your kids) you can obtain a Microsoft program (CA-Reset.exe - 89.5K) to do
    this here: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/CA-Reset.exe
    (listed on line 283) NOTE: Using CA-Reset will completely delete your
    Approved List - everything starts like brand new, so consider this before
    you use it.

    Follow-up with a malware cleanup. Complete information is here:
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

    --
    Ramesh Srinivasan
    MS-MVP, Windows Shell

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com

    "Power MacK" <nospam@mackville.com> wrote in message
    > Content Advisor blocks all web browsing.
    >
    > I can not remove an item on Approved Sites.
    >
    > The item is a blank (14 spaces) with the Never checked.
    >
    > Action: Delete
    >
    > Apply, OK
    >
    > I go back in and the item is still there, like a virus.
    >
    > Thanks

    Ramesh,

    Thanks, I ran the program to re-initialize the settings.

    Method 2: I found a way dissect and reset the Content List using Regedit.
    Start/Run/Regedit. Search on the first item in the Content List, for example
    http://www.example.com. It will be unique within the Registry and the
    search will bring you to the Content List with sequence 0,1,2..etc. in the
    left pane. Get your barrings by browsing the list. Delete the entire folder,
    ie 0, and close regedit. Go to Content Settings and you'll find the entire
    content list gone.

    This worked for me by removing the blank item that wouldn't go away. I ran a
    Registry Optimizer after to clean up loose ends.

    Later, Power Mack

    > Hi Power Mack,
    >
    > Try this solution, courtesy of MVP Jim Byrd.

    Quote:

    > If you wish to restore Content Advisor to its original condition (because
    > of
    > your kids) you can obtain a Microsoft program (CA-Reset.exe - 89.5K) to do
    > this here: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/CA-Reset.exe
    > (listed on line 283) NOTE: Using CA-Reset will completely delete your
    > Approved List - everything starts like brand new, so consider this before
    > you use it.
    >

    > Follow-up with a malware cleanup. Complete information is here:
    > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh Srinivasan
    > MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    >

    > "Power MacK" <nospam@mackville.com> wrote in message
    >> Content Advisor blocks all web browsing.
    >>
    >> I can not remove an item on Approved Sites.
    >>
    >> The item is a blank (14 spaces) with the Never checked.
    >>
    >> Action: Delete
    >>
    >> Apply, OK
    >>
    >> I go back in and the item is still there, like a virus.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    You're welcome MacK.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    > Ramesh,
    >
    > Thanks, I ran the program to re-initialize the settings.
    >
    > Method 2: I found a way dissect and reset the Content List using Regedit.
    > Start/Run/Regedit. Search on the first item in the Content List, for
    > example http://www.example.com. It will be unique within the Registry and
    > the search will bring you to the Content List with sequence 0,1,2..etc. in
    > the left pane. Get your barrings by browsing the list. Delete the entire
    > folder, ie 0, and close regedit. Go to Content Settings and you'll find
    > the entire content list gone.
    >
    > This worked for me by removing the blank item that wouldn't go away. I ran
    > a Registry Optimizer after to clean up loose ends.
    >
    > Later, Power Mack

    >> Hi Power Mack,
    >>
    >> Try this solution, courtesy of MVP Jim Byrd.

    Quote:

    >> If you wish to restore Content Advisor to its original condition (because
    >> of
    >> your kids) you can obtain a Microsoft program (CA-Reset.exe - 89.5K) to
    >> do
    >> this here: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/CA-Reset.exe
    >> (listed on line 283) NOTE: Using CA-Reset will completely delete your
    >> Approved List - everything starts like brand new, so consider this before
    >> you use it.
    >>

    >> Follow-up with a malware cleanup. Complete information is here:
    >> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh Srinivasan
    >> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>

    >> "Power MacK" <nospam@mackville.com> wrote in message
    >>> Content Advisor blocks all web browsing.
    >>>
    >>> I can not remove an item on Approved Sites.
    >>>
    >>> The item is a blank (14 spaces) with the Never checked.
    >>>
    >>> Action: Delete
    >>>
    >>> Apply, OK
    >>>
    >>> I go back in and the item is still there, like a virus.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

Bug Microsoft Windows XP