Stupid DirectX problem with 6600GT

mondschatten

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Man, I do hate DirectX problems. OK, here's the deal. I just got a new XFX GeForce 6600 GT, installed it, and now DirectX fails at step 7 (fullscreen bouncing) in the DirectDraw test and step 32 (Direct3D rendering) in the Direct3D test. Previously, I had a Voodoo5 5500 AGP card that had no trouble with these tests. I have only tested Diablo II so far and it locks up before I can even get into the game.

My system is a PIII-800 running at 933 on an ASUS CUSL2-C MB with 512 RAM. I am using Win98 SE.

I did uninstall the Voodoo5 drivers before loading new GeForce drivers. I have since uninstalled/re-installed the new drivers (ver 66.94), upgraded DirectX 9.0b to 9.0c, and reinstalled my MB chipset drivers. So far, nothing I do works. I have looked online, but no one seems to have a logical explanation nor fix. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

cleeve

Illustrious
Perhaps try a driver cleaning apication, remove both the Nvidia and Voodoo drivers and start from scratch.

If that doesn't work, try the card on someone else's machine. If it gets the same error, it might even be a hadware glitch with the card...

mondschatten

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Thanks for the suggestion. Well, I finally got it to work - in XP. I actually had a lot more trouble getting the card to work in a totally fresh installation of Win98 (windows protection errors and such as it would boot up). No such problems in XP, though.

I think it may just be crappy Win98 support for a lot of these newer cards. I had multiple problems with a Radeon 9700 in Win98 some time ago and that was one reason I had to go to XP on that machine. I am still awaiting XFX tech support's reply on my problem, but doubt it will be helpful. I guess I'll consider this issue more or less solved. Thanks, again, for taking the time to respond.