Sign in with
Your question

Sound Won't Work "Error failed to play test tone"

Last response: in Windows 7
July 4, 2010 12:33:57 AM

Hi. I have had some problems recently with my PC, and the latest is that my sound doesn't work. I have Realtek HD Audio.

I can still see my speakers under the Sound list in Control Panel, and they say they work. All of my drivers are up to date and say they work.

I have tried many things, some of which where disabling all sound effects under enhancements, reinstalling all the drivers, and restarting the Windows Audio.

Also when under Speaker Properties and in the advanced tab when i press test i get an error message that says failed to play test tone.
Please Help! i have spent many days trying to find out how to fix this, and i need sound. Thanks
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
July 4, 2010 1:46:12 AM

Before installing latest drivers, follow the good habit of removing older driver versions using

Driver Cleaner Pro 1.5 (Freeware)
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/desktop_software/othe...

or

Revouninstaller
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_do...

These tools may help you to remove the traces left!

Once the old drivers are uninstalled restart the system, Windows 7 will give basic drivers for Realtek HD audio (I'm also having same Realtek HD audio only). If not try installing New drivers!
July 4, 2010 2:57:23 AM

I downloaded the driver cleaner and then let windows reinstall the drivers for me, and the sound still doesn't work. Thank you for your help.
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
July 4, 2010 3:05:00 AM

Have downloaded & latest drivers from the Realtek Site & installed them??
If not Try that.
Before that Go into Bios & Make sure that Onboard Audio is Enabled!
July 4, 2010 3:18:17 AM

I had already tried with the most recent drivers, and it still didn't work. I went in my BIOS and the onboard audio was set to Auto and i changed it to enabled but the sound still doesn't work.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
July 4, 2010 3:27:30 AM

In Device Manger ,under Sound,Video & game Controllers, what are the options listed down.
Any yellow Exclamation marks in Device manager?

Just a noob question, have you checked Whether the Volume is muted??
July 4, 2010 4:24:51 AM

I have High Definition Audio Device and Realtek High Definition Audio. I'm not exactly sure why there is to, i think The Realtek is for the back panel that has in out and mic and the HD Audio device is for the front panel which has mic and headphones. My sound card is built into the mother board. Hahaha I wish. That was what i thought at first.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
July 4, 2010 11:10:24 AM

ATI high definition audio is for HDMI port, Realtek HD is for entire Audio Panel other than HDMI port!

I can guess that yours is in-built sound-card!

Have you tried with Both front panel out & back panel connectors??
Sometime people may forget to connect the front panel audio to board.
October 19, 2012 8:04:25 PM

Unfortunately I am having the exact same issue. The sound just suddenly died and I can't get it to work. Failed to play test tone comes up everytime I try and test the device. It still says that it is working properly, yet Spotify and WMP both say that there is a problem with my sound card.

Totally lost and need help!

I'm glad I'm not alone in this.
November 20, 2012 10:52:02 PM

1) Start --> Run --> services.msc

2) In "Services" window, select Windows Audio from the left, then right click on it and choose restart.
January 16, 2013 5:30:06 PM

Makaveli84 said:

2) In "Services" window, select Windows Audio from the left, then right click on it and choose restart.

This worked for me :)  Thanks
July 22, 2013 8:33:10 PM

Makaveli84 said:

That worked, thanks !
November 25, 2013 2:36:25 PM

I have the same issue. I tried absolutely everything without results...Also I got the error with "Failed to play test tone" from right-click on HDMI output.

asbroncos did you manage to find a solution?
November 30, 2013 1:23:50 PM

Makaveli84 said:

Thank you so much! This worked for me as well!

HP2000 quadcore intel i3
same problem sound suddenly stops working after 1 month of having it
reset my windows audio( I have windows 8) and it works! :) 
December 14, 2013 9:23:55 AM

Makeveli84 you are a life-saver!
December 21, 2013 12:24:42 PM

Makaveli84 said:

Same problem. Sound suddenly stopped, getting same error when testing the sounds. Windows Media won't play because not recognizing sound device.

All drivers are updated, computer is not muted. The sound just completely stopped.

This suggestion did not work for me.

I also did a system restore to an earlier point and it still did not help.

SUGGESTIONS?! HELP!
January 8, 2014 10:10:54 AM

expat08 said:
Same problem. Sound suddenly stopped, getting same error when testing the sounds. Windows Media won't play because not recognizing sound device.

All drivers are updated, computer is not muted. The sound just completely stopped.

This suggestion did not work for me.

I also did a system restore to an earlier point and it still did not help.

SUGGESTIONS?! HELP!

Same here. Tried all sorts, incl. latest realtek driver, MS generic driver, restarting services, system restore to earliest available. No option for audio in my bios (Acer AspireOne netbook). Nothing works, either for speakers or headphones.

Any other ideas ?
!