XFX 6800GT Troubleshooting--please help!

bjmumblingmiles

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2005
Hey, thanks for reading! I need help either fixing this or RMA'ing it.
I just got an XFX 6800 GT. I installed it, and it worked, although the system takes up to six seconds to POST now (with my old card < 1 sec) and after the windows loading screen there is a 6-8 second blackout before the login screen comes up.

Games are absolutely awful, although they work. The fill rate appears to be very limited, and I see huge amounts of tearing in all games and when moving windows in Explorer. I've tried the drivers from CD and the latest stable NVIDIA drivers.

Once, my monitor would not turn on at all during the boot process, although it came on once it reached the login screen.

Thanks to anyone with any thoughts.
Brian Jorgensen

--My machine----------------------
ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe (1003)
AMD 64 3500+ 90nm
Corsair XMS DDR400 2x512 MB
XFX 6800 GT (doesn't work as well as my Leadtek)
OR
Leadtek Winfast 6600 GT (great!)
WD Raptor 2x74 GB
Maxtor NCQ Drive (doesn't work)
Ultra X-Connect 500W

what's your powersupply?

and what are your rails (power lines 3.3, 5, 12 etc) runnig at?

and what is the temp of your card after gaming?

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe (1003)
AMD 64 3500+ 90nm
Corsair XMS DDR400 2x512 MB
XFX 6800 GT (doesn't work as well as my Leadtek)

I have the same system with these exceptions:
3500+ 130
Geil 2x512@3200
soundblaster audigy 2 - onbd sound disabled in the bios
WD 36gb 10k
<edit> 2 optical drives
I haven't had any of those problems at all. I have it in a 400watt system, so even lower then yours. It runs at 100% cpu all the time...so no power issues as of yet. How did you uninstall the drivers for your 6600GT? You did uninstall before you put your 6800GT in correct? Funny things happen when they aren't installed in the right order sometimes. Otherwise I'd go the route of making sure that power supply is working correctly. Might as well make sure you have the latest direct x as well.

In case you didn't uninstall in the correct order...Uninstall your current drivers...then shut down instead of restarting...put your 6600 back in, boot up...reinstall drivers for your 6600 (to get the uninstall package back for that card...)...reboot...uninstall 6600 drivers and shut down (don't restart)...put your 6800 back in and use the latest drivers. This is the testing probe anal style to fixing drivers. Sometimes it isn't needed to go through all these steps, but at least it takes a lot of time and is really annoying (there's always an upside).

Current machines running F@H:
2000+ 2500+ 3500+ 350a 1.4 933 1.3a 1.3a 3xeon 3000+