TECH: Switching Power Supply Help

I am starting to reasseble my Stargate that I have been slaving away at for
quite some time and I don't want to blow myself up so...

I ordered a switching power supply from arcadeshop.com and am about to
connect it. Just have a few questions... (Reference pictures located in
links below)

1. Where does my power plug connect to? I assume the last 3 slots (FG,
AC/N, AC/L). FG is the ground I assume, but what are AC/N and AC/L? Does it
make a difference which one of the power wires I plug in there?

2. As for the monitor splice. Does it matter which wire on the original
harness I splice the connectors attached to AC/N and AC/L into???

Any safety precautions or best practices are more than welcome...

http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/images/SPU_Question.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/images/newpowercord.jpg

- Mike

***Looking for a 1978 Atari Superman playfield.. ***

Got one, drop me an email...

http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/

L (stands for load) black/ blue
N (stand for Netural) blue/white
FG (Ground) Green wire

But you dont need to wire these up as

The blue wires get spliced into the power wires running to either the
monitor or the Marqure light.

So would I be safe to assume that the switching power supply DOES NOT
replace the power supply on the bottom of the cab, but actually work in
tandem with the original power supply?

I was under the assumption that I could use the SPS in lieu of the
original...

- Mike

"Michael Roman" <michael.pacifico@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I am starting to reasseble my Stargate that I have been slaving away at for
>quite some time and I don't want to blow myself up so...
>
> I ordered a switching power supply from arcadeshop.com and am about to
> connect it. Just have a few questions... (Reference pictures located in
> links below)
>
> 1. Where does my power plug connect to? I assume the last 3 slots (FG,
> AC/N, AC/L). FG is the ground I assume, but what are AC/N and AC/L? Does
> it make a difference which one of the power wires I plug in there?
>
> 2. As for the monitor splice. Does it matter which wire on the original
> harness I splice the connectors attached to AC/N and AC/L into???
>
> Any safety precautions or best practices are more than welcome...
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/images/SPU_Question.jpg
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/images/newpowercord.jpg
>

> - Mike
>

> ***Looking for a 1978 Atari Superman playfield.. ***
>
> Got one, drop me an email...
>

> http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/

The only reason to keep the "factory" pwr. supply is in this newbies
thoughts to keep the ISO transformsr for the monitor. If the big transformer
on the bottom of the cab is what your thinking is the power supply. My
Sinistar has this and a medium sized board on the side of the cab that
actually does all of the low voltage stuff.
So if you want to "remove" the "extra" board wth the caps and regulators go
right ahead, your new supply will sub all of those outputs. IE: 12 volts + 5
volts+ 12 volts - and 5 volts -.
But rember to keep the big transformer on the bottom of the cab.
> So would I be safe to assume that the switching power supply DOES NOT
> replace the power supply on the bottom of the cab, but actually work in
> tandem with the original power supply?
>
> I was under the assumption that I could use the SPS in lieu of the
> original...
>
> - Mike
>

> "Michael Roman" <michael.pacifico@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >I am starting to reasseble my Stargate that I have been slaving away at
for
> >quite some time and I don't want to blow myself up so...
> >
> > I ordered a switching power supply from arcadeshop.com and am about to
> > connect it. Just have a few questions... (Reference pictures located in
> > links below)
> >
> > 1. Where does my power plug connect to? I assume the last 3 slots (FG,
> > AC/N, AC/L). FG is the ground I assume, but what are AC/N and AC/L? Does
> > it make a difference which one of the power wires I plug in there?
> >
> > 2. As for the monitor splice. Does it matter which wire on the original
> > harness I splice the connectors attached to AC/N and AC/L into???
> >
> > Any safety precautions or best practices are more than welcome...
> >
> > http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/images/SPU_Question.jpg
> >
> > http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/images/newpowercord.jpg
> >

> > - Mike
> >

> > ***Looking for a 1978 Atari Superman playfield.. ***
> >
> > Got one, drop me an email...
> >

> > http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/

Forgive my ignorance..

That "original power supply" I have been referring to is the isolation
transformer.
http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/images/isoxformer.jpg

So to clear things up...

- I should reconnect the power plug to the above transformer...
- run monitor power from isolation transformer molex...
- run switching power supply from switching 120AC (Black/Yellow &
White/Blue) {Jason can please you verify this}

Am I missing anything???

- Mike

"Darren and Shelly Anderson" <darren@gondtc.com> wrote in message
> The only reason to keep the "factory" pwr. supply is in this newbies
> thoughts to keep the ISO transformsr for the monitor. If the big
> transformer
> on the bottom of the cab is what your thinking is the power supply. My
> Sinistar has this and a medium sized board on the side of the cab that
> actually does all of the low voltage stuff.
> So if you want to "remove" the "extra" board wth the caps and regulators
> go
> right ahead, your new supply will sub all of those outputs. IE: 12 volts +
> 5
> volts+ 12 volts - and 5 volts -.
> But rember to keep the big transformer on the bottom of the cab.
> "Michael Roman" <michael.pacifico@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> So would I be safe to assume that the switching power supply DOES NOT
>> replace the power supply on the bottom of the cab, but actually work in
>> tandem with the original power supply?
>>
>> I was under the assumption that I could use the SPS in lieu of the
>> original...
>>
>> - Mike
>>

>> "Michael Roman" <michael.pacifico@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> >I am starting to reasseble my Stargate that I have been slaving away at
> for
>> >quite some time and I don't want to blow myself up so...
>> >
>> > I ordered a switching power supply from arcadeshop.com and am about to
>> > connect it. Just have a few questions... (Reference pictures located in
>> > links below)
>> >
>> > 1. Where does my power plug connect to? I assume the last 3 slots (FG,
>> > AC/N, AC/L). FG is the ground I assume, but what are AC/N and AC/L?
>> > Does
>> > it make a difference which one of the power wires I plug in there?
>> >
>> > 2. As for the monitor splice. Does it matter which wire on the
>> > original
>> > harness I splice the connectors attached to AC/N and AC/L into???
>> >
>> > Any safety precautions or best practices are more than welcome...
>> >
>> > http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/images/SPU_Question.jpg
>> >
>> > http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/images/newpowercord.jpg
>> >

>> > - Mike
>> >

>> > ***Looking for a 1978 Atari Superman playfield.. ***
>> >
>> > Got one, drop me an email...
>> >

>> > http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/

Good thing you asked, that could have gotten ugly! First, lets start with
the power cord. Green is ground, black is hot and white is neutral. On the
switching power supply AC/L and AC/N correspond to Alternating Current /
Live and Alternating Current / Neutral respectively. Next, you indicated
that the two blue wires in the picture go to the monitor, which is not the
case. The monitor needs to be run through an isolation transformer to avoid
a "hot" chassis.
So, lets start from the beginning with what should be done. First,
replace the line cord exactly as it was originally installed. This will
allow it to run through all of the necessary safety components (MOV, line
filter, fuse...). Now you can leave your monitor and everything else hooked
up exactly as it was. Next, you will need to find the switched 120AC that
feeds the transformer input (on Joust it is Black/Yellow and White/Blue) and
splice into these to power the switching power supply on the AC/N and AC/L
terminals (in this case it doesn't matter which one is hooked up to each
terminal). Now, mount the new power supply in a convenient place and plug
the 15 pin connector from the old linear power supply into the new switching
power supply. Lastly, run a ground from the FG terminal on the new supply
to a common ground on the game (probably one close to the transformer).
Also, it has been a long time since I've worked on a Williams game of this
vintage, but I seem to remember having to run a ground from the new power
supply to the coin door ground, but I could be WAY off. Forgive me if any
of this information is incorrect, but I think I remembered everything that
needed to be done. Good luck!
-Jason Richard

"Michael Roman" <michael.pacifico@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am starting to reasseble my Stargate that I have been slaving away at
for
> quite some time and I don't want to blow myself up so...
>
> I ordered a switching power supply from arcadeshop.com and am about to
> connect it. Just have a few questions... (Reference pictures located in
> links below)
>
> 1. Where does my power plug connect to? I assume the last 3 slots (FG,
> AC/N, AC/L). FG is the ground I assume, but what are AC/N and AC/L? Does
it
> make a difference which one of the power wires I plug in there?
>
> 2. As for the monitor splice. Does it matter which wire on the original
> harness I splice the connectors attached to AC/N and AC/L into???
>
> Any safety precautions or best practices are more than welcome...
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/images/SPU_Question.jpg
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/images/newpowercord.jpg
>

> - Mike
>

> ***Looking for a 1978 Atari Superman playfield.. ***
>
> Got one, drop me an email...
>

> http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/

The new power supply replaces all of the critical voltages (+5, +12, -5,
and -12). I now have a Stargate manual to look at, and the only reason I
told you to keep the original board in place is because it allows for easy
pass through of the 6.3VAC for the coin door lamps. Other than that, you
can remove the old power supply, but personally I would keep it in there
just so the game remains "complete." Having the old power supply in there
will not cause any problems, though you may want to remove fuses F1, F2, and
F3 from the original power supply just so those circuits don't have to do
anything.
-Jason Richard

"Michael Roman" <michael.pacifico@comcast.net> wrote in message
> So would I be safe to assume that the switching power supply DOES NOT
> replace the power supply on the bottom of the cab, but actually work in
> tandem with the original power supply?
>
> I was under the assumption that I could use the SPS in lieu of the
> original...
>
> - Mike
>

> "Michael Roman" <michael.pacifico@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >I am starting to reasseble my Stargate that I have been slaving away at
for
> >quite some time and I don't want to blow myself up so...
> >
> > I ordered a switching power supply from arcadeshop.com and am about to
> > connect it. Just have a few questions... (Reference pictures located in
> > links below)
> >
> > 1. Where does my power plug connect to? I assume the last 3 slots (FG,
> > AC/N, AC/L). FG is the ground I assume, but what are AC/N and AC/L? Does
> > it make a difference which one of the power wires I plug in there?
> >
> > 2. As for the monitor splice. Does it matter which wire on the original
> > harness I splice the connectors attached to AC/N and AC/L into???
> >
> > Any safety precautions or best practices are more than welcome...
> >
> > http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/images/SPU_Question.jpg
> >
> > http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/images/newpowercord.jpg
> >

> > - Mike
> >

> > ***Looking for a 1978 Atari Superman playfield.. ***
> >
> > Got one, drop me an email...
> >

> > http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/

I put a new power cord on the ISO transformer. Would it hurt anything if I
did not connect the ISO to the switching power supply/monitor yet and just
plugged in the ISO to the wall to ensure that I did everything correct or is
that bad for the ISO?

Also, is there any harm in powering an arcade up without the monitor
attached? I put a G07 that I have lying around in it for now, just curious
for future testing.