AGP / PCI-E

DataCrypt

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2005
I keep looking at benchmark numbers and see.
6800Ultra
6800Ultra SLI
now is the SLI a single card or is that the performance of the two SLI cards together?

cleeve

Illustrious
SLI is two cards linked together.

DataCrypt

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2005
So, PCI-E With its enhanced speed port does nothing for performance? It was my understanding PCI-E was for 2 cards aswell as the PCI-E Port was much faster then an AGP slot.
So there is no reason to buy a PCI-E card over a AGP card if your only buying 1 other then the option to upgrade with a 2nd card?

cleeve

Illustrious
It is true that PCI-e does almost nothing for performance VS it's AGP counterpart. The biggest reason to go PCI-e is future upgradability; inevitably, PCIe parts will be cheaper (or easier to get) than AGP parts in a couple years, because that's where the PC platform is going.

Other than that, AGP is just fine. Remember that you can't use two PCI-e videocards in any PCI-e motherboard; only SLI-capable motherboards can use it, and they're expensive.