Why is XP running so slowly?

I'm running Windows XP with service pack 2 and about a month ago, my computer
slowed down quite drastically. Simple tasks like opening a program or
clicking on the start menu take ages. However, games run at normal speed
although after a while, I'll get an error message saying "cannot execute
memory" and then the memory address and then the program will close.

I've tried defragmenting the hard drive and running a windows memory test,
and I scan for viruses and adware/spyware regularly but it hasn't helped. I
don't know what could have caused the slow-down. The only thing I can think
of that changed anything is Windows Update.

Any ideas of what could have caused this or how I can fix it would be
greatly appreciated.
9 answers Last reply
More about running slowly

    On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 10:36:55 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >You need to do a little maintenance on your computer..
    >Start by using Disk Clean, then Defragmenter..
    >Check your internet browser.. does it open on the home page that you have
    >set, or does it load something else..
    >Is your firewall updated?.. is your anti-virus program updated?..
    >Have you run anti-spyware programs recently?
    >Is your hard drive filling up?.. do you get 'virtual memory' warnings?..
    >I can give you instructions on how to remove spyware.. it is a bit of a
    >list, but does not take too long to do and it leaves you with tools that can
    >be re-used.. only carry out the procedure if what I have stated already
    >appears to have no effect..

    Mike Hall ...

    Just in case someone forgets to express their appreciation for your
    extremely helpful post, the let me be the first. THANK YOU.

    Thanks very much to everyone who's replied. I've already tried defragmenting
    the hard drive and (as I mentioned in my original post), I regularly use
    antivirus and anti-spyware/adware programs which are regularly updated.

    Sorry I didn't include more information about the configuration of my
    computer in my previous post. What else do you need to know?

    OS: Windows XP with Service Pack 2

    Antivirus/anti-spyware software: Avast! Antivirus and AdAware (both are
    regularly updated). I also use Trend Micro Housecall regularly.

    112MB RAM - This struck me as strange because it should be 128MB but this is
    what was displayed in system properties.

    1.40 GHz

    I quite often get "virtual memory too low" warning messages and I downloaded
    and ran Windows memory test but there were no errors. Let me know if any more
    information would be of help.

    Many Thanks,
    Mooncinder

    In article <ABC3DB7F-98D1-4976-AE3C-AB7C04CA1EBC@microsoft.com>,
    Mooncinder@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > Thanks very much to everyone who's replied. I've already tried defragmenting
    > the hard drive and (as I mentioned in my original post), I regularly use
    > antivirus and anti-spyware/adware programs which are regularly updated.
    >
    > Sorry I didn't include more information about the configuration of my
    > computer in my previous post. What else do you need to know?
    >
    > OS: Windows XP with Service Pack 2
    >
    > Antivirus/anti-spyware software: Avast! Antivirus and AdAware (both are
    > regularly updated). I also use Trend Micro Housecall regularly.
    >
    > 112MB RAM - This struck me as strange because it should be 128MB but this is
    > what was displayed in system properties.

    There is your problem - 112MB means you are running 128MB, but your
    video card is using some of that for itself. In addition to that, 128MB
    of RAM is WAY TO LITTLE for XP. You need at least 256MB to make XP
    usable for most people, more like 512MB if you use a few memory hungry
    applications.

    > 1.40 GHz
    >
    > I quite often get "virtual memory too low" warning messages and I downloaded
    > and ran Windows memory test but there were no errors. Let me know if any more
    > information would be of help.

    See above, you don't have enough real memory.

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    "Leythos" wrote:

    > In article <ABC3DB7F-98D1-4976-AE3C-AB7C04CA1EBC@microsoft.com>,
    > Mooncinder@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > > Thanks very much to everyone who's replied. I've already tried defragmenting
    > > the hard drive and (as I mentioned in my original post), I regularly use
    > > antivirus and anti-spyware/adware programs which are regularly updated.
    > >
    > > Sorry I didn't include more information about the configuration of my
    > > computer in my previous post. What else do you need to know?
    > >
    > > OS: Windows XP with Service Pack 2
    > >
    > > Antivirus/anti-spyware software: Avast! Antivirus and AdAware (both are
    > > regularly updated). I also use Trend Micro Housecall regularly.
    > >
    > > 112MB RAM - This struck me as strange because it should be 128MB but this is
    > > what was displayed in system properties.
    >
    > There is your problem - 112MB means you are running 128MB, but your
    > video card is using some of that for itself. In addition to that, 128MB
    > of RAM is WAY TO LITTLE for XP. You need at least 256MB to make XP
    > usable for most people, more like 512MB if you use a few memory hungry
    > applications.
    >
    > > 1.40 GHz
    > >
    > > I quite often get "virtual memory too low" warning messages and I downloaded
    > > and ran Windows memory test but there were no errors. Let me know if any more
    > > information would be of help.
    >
    > See above, you don't have enough real memory.
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

    That sounds like a reasonable explanation except I haven't just installed XP
    or anything like that. It suddenly slowed down about a month ago but before
    that, it had been running perfectly at normal speed for a good two years!
    Trouble is, I haven't changed anything system-wise so I can't figure out what
    could have caused it to slow down so drastically.

    Moon

    You need more RAM for sure.. I was working with a machine today that had
    256mb fitted, and it ran like a dog.. I was sooooooooooo frustrated with
    it..

    Look to get 512mb minimum and you will notice a huge difference..

    Also, if you can live without the XP theme, open Control Panel, click on the
    'Performance' icon and set your system for 'best performance'.. you will
    lose the eye candy effects, but the performance gain is worth it..

    I have yet to set up anybody, unless they really do protest, with the XP
    theme and colours in place..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Mooncinder" <Mooncinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks very much to everyone who's replied. I've already tried
    > defragmenting
    > the hard drive and (as I mentioned in my original post), I regularly use
    > antivirus and anti-spyware/adware programs which are regularly updated.
    >
    > Sorry I didn't include more information about the configuration of my
    > computer in my previous post. What else do you need to know?
    >
    > OS: Windows XP with Service Pack 2
    >
    > Antivirus/anti-spyware software: Avast! Antivirus and AdAware (both are
    > regularly updated). I also use Trend Micro Housecall regularly.
    >
    > 112MB RAM - This struck me as strange because it should be 128MB but this
    > is
    > what was displayed in system properties.
    >
    > 1.40 GHz
    >
    > I quite often get "virtual memory too low" warning messages and I
    > downloaded
    > and ran Windows memory test but there were no errors. Let me know if any
    > more
    > information would be of help.
    >
    > Many Thanks,
    > Mooncinder

    My pleasure..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    In article <E5FDA86F-C83F-444B-813C-39FD7EE0D5F6@microsoft.com>,
    Mooncinder@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > "Leythos" wrote:
    >
    > > In article <ABC3DB7F-98D1-4976-AE3C-AB7C04CA1EBC@microsoft.com>,
    > > Mooncinder@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > > > Thanks very much to everyone who's replied. I've already tried defragmenting
    > > > the hard drive and (as I mentioned in my original post), I regularly use
    > > > antivirus and anti-spyware/adware programs which are regularly updated.
    > > >
    > > > Sorry I didn't include more information about the configuration of my
    > > > computer in my previous post. What else do you need to know?
    > > >
    > > > OS: Windows XP with Service Pack 2
    > > >
    > > > Antivirus/anti-spyware software: Avast! Antivirus and AdAware (both are
    > > > regularly updated). I also use Trend Micro Housecall regularly.
    > > >
    > > > 112MB RAM - This struck me as strange because it should be 128MB but this is
    > > > what was displayed in system properties.
    > >
    > > There is your problem - 112MB means you are running 128MB, but your
    > > video card is using some of that for itself. In addition to that, 128MB
    > > of RAM is WAY TO LITTLE for XP. You need at least 256MB to make XP
    > > usable for most people, more like 512MB if you use a few memory hungry
    > > applications.
    > >
    > > > 1.40 GHz
    > > >
    > > > I quite often get "virtual memory too low" warning messages and I downloaded
    > > > and ran Windows memory test but there were no errors. Let me know if any more
    > > > information would be of help.
    > >
    > > See above, you don't have enough real memory.
    >
    > That sounds like a reasonable explanation except I haven't just installed XP
    > or anything like that. It suddenly slowed down about a month ago but before
    > that, it had been running perfectly at normal speed for a good two years!
    > Trouble is, I haven't changed anything system-wise so I can't figure out what
    > could have caused it to slow down so drastically.

    So, in the two years you've not applied any service packs, not installed
    any new software, not run any updated programs?

    I hear the "it worked before and I've not changed anything" so often I
    would be rich if I got a nickle for each time where the user had changed
    something and not remembered it or was unaware of it.

    Something changed, the memory and VM error is a clear indication that
    you don't have a lot of RAM. You could open the TASK MANAGER and look at
    processes - this would be indication of what you have running and how
    much memory you are using.

    Another thing - look at the tasks on the right side of the task bar, do
    you have more than a couple application icons there? Each of those is a
    running application that consumes memory.

    While you may think that 128MB of shared memory is enough, I've got
    hundreds of experiences that indicate it's not even close to enough for
    even a stripped down computer solution.

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    If you gave us some information we might help :)

    Like what the configeration of your PC is ?

    Memory.Vidcard ect ect ect. We cant read minds.

    On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 06:05:14 -0700, "Mooncinder"

    "Leythos" wrote:

    > So, in the two years you've not applied any service packs, not installed
    > any new software, not run any updated programs?

    lol, no I didn't mean that! Sorry, I should have been clearer. What I meant
    was that I hadn't changed anything near the time that the problem started.

    > Something changed, the memory and VM error is a clear indication that
    > you don't have a lot of RAM. You could open the TASK MANAGER and look at
    > processes - this would be indication of what you have running and how
    > much memory you are using.

    Well yes, something's obviously changed. I'm just trying to find out what.
    There's never any more than 3 or 4 taskbar icons running. I know "it worked
    before and I've not changed anything" sounds like a pathetic excuse but I was
    at university from January and when I came back home at Easter was when I
    noticed the problem.

    Thanks for all your help so far. If you could think of anything else at all
    that could have caused the computer to slow down, I'd really appreciate
    hearing about it.

    Thanks again,
    Mooncinder

Windows XP Memory