Editing winxp REGISTRY from server 2003 DUAL BOOT -- help!

Hey all, looks like a bunch of smart cookies around here, hope y’all
can help!

I recently installed software to test its ability for an internet
cafe. Software worked, but it modified the shell in the registry from
explorer.exe to whatever shell it uses. I uninstalled the software,
chose the "Remove from all profiles/users" option, and now i can no
longer login to windows. Everytime i try, it says "Loading your
profile", shows background, then "Logging Off" and back to the main
screen. This happens on all windows acccounts, "Admin" and "Guest"
and i can not login in any way to windows, be it safe mode, etc.

Now, on this same machine, i have windows server 2003 installed and
can go thru the files as needed, but i cant seem to find out how to
physically get into the reg for XP. I emailed the guy who created this
software, then as his solution did not work out, he is no longer
replying to my emails.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, lets see what we got!

Thanks

Jay

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Editing-winxp-REGISTRY-server-2003-DUAL-BOOT-ftopict540699.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1702767

Perform a "Repair Install" of your existing
Windows XP installation.

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"djvast" wrote:

| Hey all, looks like a bunch of smart cookies around here, hope y'all
| can help!
|
| I recently installed software to test its ability for an internet
| cafe. Software worked, but it modified the shell in the registry from
| explorer.exe to whatever shell it uses. I uninstalled the software,
| chose the "Remove from all profiles/users" option, and now i can no
| longer login to windows. Everytime i try, it says "Loading your
| profile", shows background, then "Logging Off" and back to the main
| screen. This happens on all windows acccounts, "Admin" and "Guest"
| and i can not login in any way to windows, be it safe mode, etc.
|
| Now, on this same machine, i have windows server 2003 installed and
| can go thru the files as needed, but i cant seem to find out how to
| physically get into the reg for XP. I emailed the guy who created this
| software, then as his solution did not work out, he is no longer
| replying to my emails.
|
| Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, lets see what we got!
|
| Thanks
|
| Jay

In Regedit you load the hive file. Then the part of the other registry appears in yours.