Soldering Technique

anyone have any anecdotes, warnings, triumphs or tales of learning the
art of mastering soldering de/soldering; which is so invaluable to this
hobby--that they care to share? Please post.

Jeff

There is a good soldering FAQ with pics at www.marvin3m.com under the
heading "be a pin monkey".

My only other advice would be to practice, it's one of those skill
things like learning to swing a golf club- you can read all you want
to, but actual practice is the best teacher.

Mike Doyle

Picked up my first soldering iron @ age 12..

Burnt a hole in the new carpet in my family room soldering on the floor
@ age.... 12 :)

Dad says no more.. at age... 12 =)

Picked it back up against his will... at age.. 12!

Been doin it ever since. No matter the iron I get perfect results.
thats 16 years of practice for ya ;)

Best to just read the primer and practice on some junk first.

BTW, about the blow torch comment.. When I was 15 I was torching the
bottoms, turning them over, and banging them off the desk... PING!

LOADS of free parts =)

Of course they are all gone now, but at age 15 it was nice to be
prototyping with free stuff :)

BTW, if your gonna torch boards, use a exhaust vent system.. the fumes
are FOWL.

- Matt

VectorGen <istolewhitesands@yahoo.com> wrote:
: anyone have any anecdotes, warnings, triumphs or tales of learning the
: art of mastering soldering de/soldering; which is so invaluable to this
: hobby--that they care to share? Please post.

I'll have to post pics of the board I'm soldering together for work =-P

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

:
: My only other advice would be to practice, it's one of those skill
: things like learning to swing a golf club- you can read all you want
: to, but actual practice is the best teacher.

....just don't practice on expensive boards :)

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

Weird. Was it stored in barn or chicken house?