Sign in with
Your question

Failed to update after a fresh window xp installed

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
August 17, 2003 4:39:12 AM

I just reformatted my comp and did a fresh window xp pro installation. But when I went to microsoft.com to update, it failed. I tried a couple more times and samething hjappend. anyone know what is going on?

More about : failed update fresh window installed

August 17, 2003 4:56:54 AM

Are you using a legal copy of XP with a retail CD key?
August 17, 2003 5:34:12 AM

yea what that have to do ?
Related resources
August 17, 2003 6:58:40 AM

You might find some helpful information on this archived page of the LangaList:

<A HREF="http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2003/2003-05-05.htm" target="_new">The LangaList Standard Edition 2003-05-05</A>

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=32..." target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>
August 17, 2003 11:53:55 AM

i've heard that microsoft has temporarily shut down their Windows Update site because of Blaster Worm virus

<font color=blue>
My computer is <b>sooo fast</b>,
It finished <b>SETI</b> in <b>10 seconds.</b>
<font color=blue>
August 17, 2003 6:56:08 PM

I did rename the catroot2 folder, but still didnt work.
Anonymous
August 17, 2003 11:25:21 PM

Quote:
i've heard that microsoft has temporarily shut down their Windows Update site because of Blaster Worm virus

You heard wrong! I was there today, just to see if it worked, and didn't have any problems. Except, it is slower than usual. But, I guess thats to be expected. In fact, I've been to the update site several times since this worm thing hit. Not one problem with it. I think that MS probably knew about the worm ahead of time. :wink:

August 18, 2003 1:59:33 AM

it works now, 2 days ago it wasn't

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>
August 18, 2003 2:06:53 AM

the problem is that when I click install , it said failed. Not that i can't get to the site.
August 18, 2003 4:32:18 AM

I was getting that all day today.
I rebuilt a friend's computer and when I went to get the updates all selected files failed to install.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
August 18, 2003 6:07:31 AM

maybe a pirated xp cd (xp pro corporate).
I also can't update my xp pro since it's a illegal copy.

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>
August 18, 2003 8:38:56 PM

I also had problems with the site a few days ago.

Rig:
XP Barton 2500+, A7N8X- Deluxe, 1GB OCZ pc3200 (2.5-3-3-7)
Volcano 7+ with OCZ ultra II paste, XP professional, ATI 9600 pro
Antec 400W w/ 4 case fans installed. [No Bragging Here]
August 18, 2003 9:25:07 PM

I still haven't been able to update. Neither XP pro nor Win2k worked!
August 18, 2003 11:25:32 PM

So any of you bought the window xp pro? or you all use illegal copy? does this problem happen to ppl who bought the legal ones???
August 19, 2003 8:42:01 AM

ok people, I've found the SOLUTION!!! I got this from a poster named "Curtis Billy" on Anandtech forum. Here is what the poster wrote:

"Modify the DNS Server addresses in the LAN to use UUNET's DNS.

198.6.1.2"

This came from a usenet post from someone at MS.

Worked for me.
Good luck to you all."

It worked for me too!
August 19, 2003 11:05:18 AM

still wierd, why do we need to change dns configz.

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>
August 19, 2003 3:33:24 PM

I'm not an expert. But I'm guessing that our ISP's (mine is Cox Cable) DNS servers are not up to date. That's why our PCs weren't able to actual download the update patches (because perhaps the update patches are on a different MS servers which is not registered in the ISP's DNS). That's the only reason can think of.

Is your ISP Cox? I know one poster's has Cox and this solution worked for him as it did for me.
August 19, 2003 3:41:19 PM

Yep, I have Cox as ISP. So how do I change the DNS thing? im not an expert at these.
August 19, 2003 3:50:51 PM

To change your DNS, go to your network card's Properties. Then choose Internet Protocol (tcp/ip), then enter 198.6.1.1 as your Preferred DNS server.

After you're done updating from MS, you can change your DNS back to Cox's.

Update: I just spoke to a Cox support. He said that it's not Cox's DNS servers that are at fault. The real problem is Cox is under DDoS attack (just like the Microsoft site days ago). I guess this is a mini epidemic for everyone.
August 19, 2003 4:01:38 PM

I changed the DNS server, it worked man :)  now im downloading and installing these updates, thx a lot dude. I thought these illegal cd keys are not working, but they are still :) 
August 19, 2003 4:37:43 PM

hey no problem man. glad I could share.
!