Low wattage but need new video card for my dell

darthbobvilla

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
hi all,

i have been checking high and low and everywhere to try to figure out what to upgrade my dell dimension 4550 video card to.

here is what i have right now.

dell dimension 4550
512 mb ram soon to have 1012
2.5 ghz cpu
in my book it says my wattage is 250
i have for video card an ati radeon 9500 pro 128 mb.
agp 2.0 4x

i opened the case and it seems i have an extra connection wire for bigger or more advance cards and the connection wire as an ati label on it with some numbers...it's the moleg connector i think , the one that has four pin openings to connect to the video card.

i have been looking at nvidia cards and ati's cards.

i am looking at ati's 9800 cards and i seem to have the connector to plug it in but i was wondering if i have enuff power to support it.I would consider also nvidia cards if they respect what i have.

i don't want to do an upgrade and have a card that will crash on me because of not enuff power.

i was on dell's forum and they post tons of cards that could fit in my pc but they don't talk about the wattage and a lot of the cards that they list needs a lot of juice so i am kinda skeptical about that list.

can somebody help me here or give me info on what they did. I cannot really upgrade the psu first cause i don't know how to do it and second i am still paying on the thing and would probably have to almost change the pc if i chnage the psu.

need good advice.

thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have a very good card, are you certain you want to upgrade?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Yeah, Radeon 9500 Pro is still a very decent card

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

DeathClock

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004
Well I tried to calculate it, and well switching from a 9500 to a 9800 would require 9 more watts. And well I had a look on what there's in that PC, and I don't think that PSU can handle any more Watts. I doubt it would even like 2 mem sticks instead of one. Don't know for sure, but I think that the PC is standard already very close to that 250Watts.

<A HREF="http://www.forsaken-game.com/" target="_new">Half-Life2:Forsaken</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dell's power supplies are rated at constant load, not peak load, I believe.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>