shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
since the x800xt and 6800u is about the same caliber with performance, i was wondering which one ran cooler for me to oc and which one has more oc potiential. thx yo

The X800XT runs cooler, but the OC potnetial is close to similar.

Both are near the end of their line on the cores, the only potential is in the memory, and even that is a hit and miss situation.

Really if you're buying you should consider the stock speeds as your motivation, and any OCability as a nice bonus.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Nope it's because it's not Low-Kd that you get more heat generation at frequency, the additional heat generation (lose of power to heat) thus also requires more power to push the chip harder. Also the NV40 has extra transistors thanks to the 32bitFPP.

Both are 130nm but the ATI has the advanatage of Low-Kd insulation. Even the GF6800GT which doesn't require the additional power connector, runs hotter.

This is qhy I'm looking forward to the R520, since it's supposedly built on both a smaller process (90nm) and unlike the 110nm X800XLs it HAS the Low-Kd insulation. This should allow for great frequencies, low power consumption (for having so many more transistors), and will likely produce far less heat at equivalent speeds (but expect ATI to crank the crap out of it sooner rather than later and still have a warm chip rather than start with a very cool chip). It should be very interesting to se what impact it has on all these characteristics.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: