Dig Dug sound

Hi,

I recently acquired a Dig Dug PCB which I am attempting to get some sound
out of. Right now I am using a simple test rig connected to a TV via a SCART
connector. I have the sound output going through the SCART as well. In this
setup I can only very faintly hear sound if I turn the TV volume all the way
up. I know that the original Dig Dug setup included an external amplifier
board but I was expecting the TV's amp to provide the same function, so that
I could clearly hear the audio. Does Dig Dug require some kind of pre-amp or
is there something else I'm missing?

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers,
Ant.

Antony C. Roberts <noway@nohow.com> wrote:
: Hi,
:
: I recently acquired a Dig Dug PCB which I am attempting to get some sound
: out of. Right now I am using a simple test rig connected to a TV via a SCART
: connector. I have the sound output going through the SCART as well. In this
: setup I can only very faintly hear sound if I turn the TV volume all the way
: up. I know that the original Dig Dug setup included an external amplifier
: board but I was expecting the TV's amp to provide the same function, so that
: I could clearly hear the audio. Does Dig Dug require some kind of pre-amp or
: is there something else I'm missing?

The TV has an amp, but the sound coming out of dig dug is way below the
'line level' input that the TV is expecting.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

Thanks for the response.

So does that mean I'm going to need a pre-amp circuit in-line between Dig
Dug and the Jamma connector? Know of any simple circuits that can accomplish
this (I am no electronic expert but I can solder a bit)? I suppose the same
thing applies for my BombJack board as well?

Cheers,
Ant.

"Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote in message
> Antony C. Roberts <noway@nohow.com> wrote:
> : Hi,
> :
> : I recently acquired a Dig Dug PCB which I am attempting to get some
> sound
> : out of. Right now I am using a simple test rig connected to a TV via a
> SCART
> : connector. I have the sound output going through the SCART as well. In
> this
> : setup I can only very faintly hear sound if I turn the TV volume all the
> way
> : up. I know that the original Dig Dug setup included an external
> amplifier
> : board but I was expecting the TV's amp to provide the same function, so
> that
> : I could clearly hear the audio. Does Dig Dug require some kind of
> pre-amp or
> : is there something else I'm missing?
>
> The TV has an amp, but the sound coming out of dig dug is way below the
> 'line level' input that the TV is expecting.
>
> --
> Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
> 50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
> Cambridge, MA 02139
> (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

Bombjack by Tehkan (not sure about bootleg versions) has it's own sound
amplifier. When making a JAMMA adapter, just wire the sound connections
directly to the speaker.

Antony C. Roberts <nofingway@noway.no> wrote in message
> Thanks for the response.
>
> So does that mean I'm going to need a pre-amp circuit in-line between Dig
> Dug and the Jamma connector? Know of any simple circuits that can
accomplish
> this (I am no electronic expert but I can solder a bit)? I suppose the
same
> thing applies for my BombJack board as well?
>
> Cheers,
> Ant.
>
> "Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote in message
> > Antony C. Roberts <noway@nohow.com> wrote:
> > : Hi,
> > :
> > : I recently acquired a Dig Dug PCB which I am attempting to get some
> > sound
> > : out of. Right now I am using a simple test rig connected to a TV via a
> > SCART
> > : connector. I have the sound output going through the SCART as well. In
> > this
> > : setup I can only very faintly hear sound if I turn the TV volume all
the
> > way
> > : up. I know that the original Dig Dug setup included an external
> > amplifier
> > : board but I was expecting the TV's amp to provide the same function,
so
> > that
> > : I could clearly hear the audio. Does Dig Dug require some kind of
> > pre-amp or
> > : is there something else I'm missing?
> >
> > The TV has an amp, but the sound coming out of dig dug is way below the
> > 'line level' input that the TV is expecting.
> >
> > --
> > Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
> > 50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
> > Cambridge, MA 02139
> > (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

I have the 'better bootleg' it's almost identical to the original apart from
the fact that it has some optimisations (no patches, etc). It has all the
sound chips, a regulator and a pot for the audio volume. When I connect it
up to my test rig I get absolutely no sound whatsoever (as opposed to Dig
Dug which when connected I can very faintly hear sound).

Any suggestions for debugging?

Cheers,
Ant.

"Dave M" <q_bert@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Bombjack by Tehkan (not sure about bootleg versions) has it's own sound
> amplifier. When making a JAMMA adapter, just wire the sound connections
> directly to the speaker.
>

> Antony C. Roberts <nofingway@noway.no> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the response.
>>
>> So does that mean I'm going to need a pre-amp circuit in-line between Dig
>> Dug and the Jamma connector? Know of any simple circuits that can
> accomplish
>> this (I am no electronic expert but I can solder a bit)? I suppose the
> same
>> thing applies for my BombJack board as well?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ant.
>>
>> "Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote in message
>> > Antony C. Roberts <noway@nohow.com> wrote:
>> > : Hi,
>> > :
>> > : I recently acquired a Dig Dug PCB which I am attempting to get some
>> > sound
>> > : out of. Right now I am using a simple test rig connected to a TV via
>> > SCART
>> > : connector. I have the sound output going through the SCART as well.
>> > In
>> > this
>> > : setup I can only very faintly hear sound if I turn the TV volume all
> the
>> > way
>> > : up. I know that the original Dig Dug setup included an external
>> > amplifier
>> > : board but I was expecting the TV's amp to provide the same function,
> so
>> > that
>> > : I could clearly hear the audio. Does Dig Dug require some kind of
>> > pre-amp or
>> > : is there something else I'm missing?
>> >
>> > The TV has an amp, but the sound coming out of dig dug is way below the
>> > 'line level' input that the TV is expecting.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
>> > 50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
>> > Cambridge, MA 02139
>> > (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

yes you will need a small preamp to boost the signal more. Dig Dug uses a
separate audio amplifier.

>I have the 'better bootleg' it's almost identical to the original apart
>from the fact that it has some optimisations (no patches, etc). It has all
>the sound chips, a regulator and a pot for the audio volume. When I connect
>it up to my test rig I get absolutely no sound whatsoever (as opposed to
>Dig Dug which when connected I can very faintly hear sound).
>
> Any suggestions for debugging?
>
> Cheers,
> Ant.
>
> "Dave M" <q_bert@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Bombjack by Tehkan (not sure about bootleg versions) has it's own sound
>> amplifier. When making a JAMMA adapter, just wire the sound connections
>> directly to the speaker.
>>

>> Antony C. Roberts <nofingway@noway.no> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the response.
>>>
>>> So does that mean I'm going to need a pre-amp circuit in-line between
>>> Dig
>>> Dug and the Jamma connector? Know of any simple circuits that can
>> accomplish
>>> this (I am no electronic expert but I can solder a bit)? I suppose the
>> same
>>> thing applies for my BombJack board as well?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ant.
>>>
>>> "Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote in message
>> the
>> so

Antony C. Roberts <nofingway@noway.no> wrote:
: I have the 'better bootleg' it's almost identical to the original apart from
: the fact that it has some optimisations (no patches, etc). It has all the
: sound chips, a regulator and a pot for the audio volume. When I connect it
: up to my test rig I get absolutely no sound whatsoever (as opposed to Dig
: Dug which when connected I can very faintly hear sound).

Yeah, "Zig Zug" bootlegs have built-in audio amps, so the sound should
be fine...