Use server as desktop PC?

ME

Guys Im in a quandary and need your advice

Im in market for e new PC

My uses would be the typical surfing and word
processing kinda stuff

But I also have an interest in making this PC a "media
center" of sorts by installing a Hauppauge TV/PVR card
in it to capture Tv shows and watch them later. see
link

http://tinyurl.com/4qp2e

Id also like to try using Dragon Naturally Speaking
software at some point to eliminate as much typing as
Im a HEAVY usenet user and type a LOT (use Agent news
reader). See link for Dragon software.

http://tinyurl.com/4oxqh

AND...... I currently make a living doing CAD (computer
aided drafting)..... so will want to run Autocad and
Inventor

I was considering buying a Dell 470 Precision work
station which is a computer designed for CAD work.

Thinking of a single xeon cpu and 1 gig ram and 80 gig
hard drive

However.... Im really wondering if a Dell server with
above specs would do what I want and cost less than the
work station?

Advice?

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:rqmr31lft5v5eb797llocu9a2983r5dq4m@4ax.com...

> [] I was considering buying a Dell 470 Precision work
> station which is a computer designed for CAD work.
>
> Thinking of a single xeon cpu and 1 gig ram and 80 gig
> hard drive
>
> However.... Im really wondering if a Dell server with
> above specs would do what I want and cost less than the
> work station?

I'm inclined to think that if you'll be doing CAD work (particularly
if it is 3D work) you'll be wanting a x16 PCIe slot and a fairly hefty
graphics card. I don't know if all the Dell servers now lack a x16
PCIe slot, but I know that some do.

ME

>I'm inclined to think that if you'll be doing CAD work (particularly
>if it is 3D work) you'll be wanting a x16 PCIe slot and a fairly hefty
>graphics card. I don't know if all the Dell servers now lack a x16
>PCIe slot, but I know that some do.

Yes I will be doing "some" CAd work at home.... but it
wont be production type stuff. Instead it will be
"training" kind of things such as trying new methods
with the software or learning new 3D softwares.

TRENDING THREADS