Complete HDD copy

daniel123244

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Im not sure that this is possible without buying another license but i just built a computer and want to clone my laptop hard drive to my desktop harddrive to run windows 7 home premium 64bit. Also, i want to upgrade my laptop to an ssd, how would i clone my hdd onto that? Thanks

If one system is being put beyond use after being cloned, so you end up with only one working installation of any single licensed copy, you should be safe. From what you're saying, you'll be using it twice so perhaps you should consider an alternative for the laptop. As good as Windows 7 is, I would still consider a lot of Linux systems an upgrade and wil tak eup far less space on your new SSHD. However, if the system was an OEM installation - put in at the factory of a major computer builder - you might have trouble getting the clone to stick.

My personal preference for cloning software is Acronis True Image.
[/#000ff]

Acronis True Image is a good pick. I also happen to like CloneZilla.

You can do exactly what you're talking about, so long as you buy another license for the laptop once you have moved the install. You may not run the copy of 7 on the laptop and the new desktop at the same time without buying a second copy of Windows.