Time Zone Help

Hi, my dell laptop is stuck in Central Time zone mode even though i am on the
west coast. I searched the help database on the microsoft website and it said
i needed a hotfix to repair the problem but was very poor in helping me find
the hotfix i needed. If anyone can direct me to the hotfix link or tell me
how to fix this problem without it please let me know...thank you tons

So you do have Administrator privileges, right?

"SanDiegan" <SanDiegan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, my dell laptop is stuck in Central Time zone mode even though i am on
> the
> west coast. I searched the help database on the microsoft website and it
> said
> i needed a hotfix to repair the problem but was very poor in helping me
> find
> the hotfix i needed. If anyone can direct me to the hotfix link or tell me
> how to fix this problem without it please let me know...thank you tons

If you have Administrator privileges, then are you connected through Remote
Desktop. If yes, I believe there is a problem that was fixed with Service
Pack 2.

Have you installed SP2 and run Windows Update so you have all the hot fixes
installed?

"Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> So you do have Administrator privileges, right?
>
> "SanDiegan" <SanDiegan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, my dell laptop is stuck in Central Time zone mode even though i am on
>> the west coast.

i have SP2 and i have administrative privileges, when i click on the drop box
to change the time zone it only displays one time zone which is GMT, i need
to get it to Pacific time but there is no option...windows update did not
give me the hot fix i needed...if you can suggest anything else, please do

"Michael T" wrote:

> If you have Administrator privileges, then are you connected through Remote
> Desktop. If yes, I believe there is a problem that was fixed with Service
> Pack 2.
>
> Have you installed SP2 and run Windows Update so you have all the hot fixes
> installed?
>

> "Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > So you do have Administrator privileges, right?
> >
> > "SanDiegan" <SanDiegan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi, my dell laptop is stuck in Central Time zone mode even though i am on
> >> the west coast.

If you are not using Remote Desktop, then you could always resort to the
fallback position and run System File Checker to ensure the integrity of
your system files.

Insert your Windows XP Installation CD, then close it if it autoplays.
Go to Start > Run and type
sfc /scannow
Click OK

Also sometimes running first in Safe Mode - followed by booting in Normal
mode - has resolved some strange problems for me in the past.

>i have SP2 and i have administrative privileges, when i click on the drop
>box
> to change the time zone it only displays one time zone which is GMT, i
> need
> to get it to Pacific time but there is no option...windows update did not
> give me the hot fix i needed...if you can suggest anything else, please do
>
> "Michael T" wrote:
>
>> If you have Administrator privileges, then are you connected through
>> Remote
>> Desktop. If yes, I believe there is a problem that was fixed with Service
>> Pack 2.
>>
>> Have you installed SP2 and run Windows Update so you have all the hot
>> fixes
>> installed?
>>

>> "Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> > So you do have Administrator privileges, right?
>> >
>> > "SanDiegan" <SanDiegan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Thanks for all your help but nothing seems to work...i ran the sfc and it
came up with nothing to fix the clock...ive been searching the microsoft
troubleshooting website as well and found nothing, im destined to have a
clock two hours fast...

> Thanks for all your help but nothing seems to work...i ran the sfc and it
> came up with nothing to fix the clock...ive been searching the microsoft
> troubleshooting website as well and found nothing, im destined to have a
> clock two hours fast...

In Windows Explorer click Tools > Folder Options > View (tab)

Check the following:

Show hidden files in folders (radio button)

Uncheck the following:

Hide extensions for known file types (check box)

Hide protected operating system files (check box)

Now click Apply to All Folders (button).

Click OK.

Search for Kernel32.dll

Mine is found at C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

Right-click the file and select Properties, then select the View tab.

IMPORTANT

File version: 5.1.2600.2180

If it is not this version, perhaps this is your problem.

I'm sure you've considered your PC battery and BIOS settings as other
possibilities. Or for that matter perhaps your BIOS is either bad or needs
refreshed (i.e. flashed).

You are not connected to a network, which might be setting your time.

You are not running a 3rd party application (or service) that is taking over
control of your time setting - such as InetDisable.

Are you using an application like ubuntu (or ntpdate to sync up your clock
with ntp.ubuntu.org)?

That's it my friend. I'm out of ideas.

Michael

once again, thank you so much for your help, but nothing works, my kernel32
file is the same version number as yours, and everything else seems to not
work...its so weird, in the time zone tab all that is displayed on the map is
one state...???...like my computer was built for use in Iowa only or
something...i think a call to dell is in order...thank you again

"Michael T" wrote:

> "SanDiegan" <SanDiegan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for all your help but nothing seems to work...i ran the sfc and it
> > came up with nothing to fix the clock...ive been searching the microsoft
> > troubleshooting website as well and found nothing, im destined to have a
> > clock two hours fast...
> >

> In Windows Explorer click Tools > Folder Options > View (tab)
>
> Check the following:
>
> Show hidden files in folders (radio button)
>
> Uncheck the following:
>
> Hide extensions for known file types (check box)
>
> Hide protected operating system files (check box)
>
> Now click Apply to All Folders (button).
>
> Click OK.
>
> Search for Kernel32.dll
>
> Mine is found at C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
>
> Right-click the file and select Properties, then select the View tab.
>
> IMPORTANT
>
> File version: 5.1.2600.2180
>
> If it is not this version, perhaps this is your problem.
>
> I'm sure you've considered your PC battery and BIOS settings as other
> possibilities. Or for that matter perhaps your BIOS is either bad or needs
> refreshed (i.e. flashed).
>
> You are not connected to a network, which might be setting your time.
>
> You are not running a 3rd party application (or service) that is taking over
> control of your time setting - such as InetDisable.
>
> Are you using an application like ubuntu (or ntpdate to sync up your clock
> with ntp.ubuntu.org)?
>

> That's it my friend. I'm out of ideas.
>

> Michael

If Dell Customer Support cannot help you short of suggesting a re-install,
then here is some more 'stuff.'

Are the time zones (that are missing from the dropdown list) in your
Registry?

Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | MICROSOFT | WINDOWS NT | CURRENT VERSION |
TIME ZONES
There are 75 listed in my registry, including the one you need - PACIFIC
STANDARD TIME - with the string value for Dlt set to Pacific Daylight Time.

There is more time zone info at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CONTROLSET001 | CONTROL | TIMEZONEINFORMATION

Also at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CONTROLSET003 | CONTROL | TIMEZONEINFORMATION

Finally, at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CURRENTCONTROLSET | CONTROL |
TIMEZONEINFORMATION

You haven't mentioned an error message, so this site may not apply.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;250912

Try going to Start > Run and enter the following:
Control.exe TIMEDATE.CPL,,/Z (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada); Tijuana
Click OK

-- Michael

> once again, thank you so much for your help, but nothing works, my
> kernel32
> file is the same version number as yours, and everything else seems to not
> work...its so weird, in the time zone tab all that is displayed on the map
> is
> one state...???...like my computer was built for use in Iowa only or
> something...i think a call to dell is in order...thank you again

hey, i think we are getting somewhere, the only time zone that exists in my
registry is central time zone...very peculiar...i am certain that my computer
was originally set to Pacific standard time but it somehow has disappeared
from my registry along with every other time zone besides GMT. Maybe a virus
had something to do with it? Anyway, do you know how to get the time zone i
need back in the registry?

> hey, i think we are getting somewhere.

Good news.

>Anyway, do you know how to get the time zone i
> need back in the registry?

If you can somehow get on another Windows XP computer you could save (i.e.
export) these TZ settings as a REG file (using Regedit).

Then you can use Regedit (on your PC) to import them.