re-installing xp home

I have a PC that is badly messed up with viruses etc so want to re-install xp
home and start with a fresh formatted hd. I don't have the orig setup CD but
the registration code is attached to the side of the PC. My only concern is
what will happen if I try to activate XP using the code that's already been
previously activated (on this PC). Will Microsoft be clever enough to know
I'm not using it across 2 PC's?

Hi Bill,

First, you can reinstall/reactivate on the same system as often as you
please. Sometimes you will need to phone it in, but in any case you can
still activate it.

Second, your code will likely only work with the right recovery media as
supplied by the manufacturer. It will likely not work with a retail or
generic OEM version.

Third, your system was likely preinstalled from an image using a different
key. Unless you've used it yourself, your sticker code has likely never been
used for activation.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/