kerplunkuk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2003

I have a player with 20 for free kicks yet he never misses the wall unless
it is to sky it miles wide. His long shot stat is 8 and his finishing is
16. Does the free kick and long shot stats both have to be high for a
decent free kick?
This season I am 28 games in and have not hit the target let alone scored
from a single free kick, and I have averaged probably three a game.
Thanks
--
Remove [dot] to reply
Gamertag: Devil Ray UK

"KerplunKuK" <kerplunk@greenday.freeserve.co[dot].uk> wrote in message
>I have a player with 20 for free kicks yet he never misses the wall unless
> it is to sky it miles wide. His long shot stat is 8 and his finishing is
> 16. Does the free kick and long shot stats both have to be high for a
> decent free kick?
> This season I am 28 games in and have not hit the target let alone scored
> from a single free kick, and I have averaged probably three a game.
> Thanks
> --
> Remove [dot] to reply
> Gamertag: Devil Ray UK
> Games: Flat Out, Worms, Links 04, RS3BA, Splinter Cell : CT, Top Spin,
> Halo
> 2, GR2, PGR 2, Doom 3, Rallisport 2, Forza, NBA Inside Drive, NFL Fever,
> Amped 2, Pariah

i have noticed this, i have players with set pieces of about 18 and long
shots of like 14, i would have thought this was decent, each time it goes
over the bar

its the same for penalties, CL final penalty shoot out

up steps fernando torres, 18 penalty kicks and 19 finishing.... does he
score.... nope

up steps the oppositions centre back who has penalty kicks of 4 and
finishing of 12, does he score... of course he does!!

weird!

kerplunkuk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2003

Stephen Weir scribbled :
> KerplunKuK wrote:
>> I have a player with 20 for free kicks yet he never misses the wall
>> unless it is to sky it miles wide.
>
> Serves you right for signing David Beckham.

Beckham at Peterborough United, that sounds funny!
--

Stephen Weir wrote:
> KerplunKuK wrote:
>>> Serves you right for signing David Beckham.
>>>
>> Beckham at Peterborough United, that sounds funny!
>
> Shouldn't that be Beckham *in* Posh?

rofl

--
Hamish

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well
you bounce.

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:40:47 +0200, KerplunKuK
<kerplunk@greenday.freeserve.co[dot].uk> wrote:

> I have a player with 20 for free kicks yet he never misses the wall
> unless
> it is to sky it miles wide. His long shot stat is 8 and his finishing is
> 16. Does the free kick and long shot stats both have to be high for a
> decent free kick?
> This season I am 28 games in and have not hit the target let alone scored
> from a single free kick, and I have averaged probably three a game.
> Thanks

Explanation: IT`S A GAME!!!

kerplunkuk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2003

Mr. Pink scribbled :

> Explanation: IT`S A GAME!!!

So what is the point in making it if that is a sensible answer? Surely
stats should reflect ability, otherwise it is stupidly programmed.
--

Christo wrote:

> "KerplunKuK" <kerplunk@greenday.freeserve.co[dot].uk> wrote in message
> > This season I am 28 games in and have not hit the target let alone scored
> > from a single free kick, and I have averaged probably three a game.
> > Thanks
>
> i have noticed this, i have players with set pieces of about 18 and long
> shots of like 14, i would have thought this was decent, each time it goes
> over the bar
> its the same for penalties, CL final penalty shoot out
> up steps fernando torres, 18 penalty kicks and 19 finishing.... does he
> score.... nope
> up steps the oppositions centre back who has penalty kicks of 4 and finishing
> of 12, does he score... of course he does!!

That is the programming. You would think some of this attribute rigmarole is
intuitive but it is not. When the coding is done in a 'different' way from what
you and I think how these handles of a player's performance ought to pan out,
then it is more or less the luck of the draw. That is, they do not reflect
anything like the numbers seen in the game.

In the past, in some versions of the game, a player with 18+ in FK was too
effective so SI toned it down. There were times and versions also when no
matter how good the relevant attributes were, nothing would come of it.
Remember the later cm2s and cm3s? FKs, bicycle kicks, overhead kicks never even
hit the target never mind getting in. People saved screenies like they were
gold when one did go in.

That is how it is with all versions of CM (and I suppose FM too now by the
looks of this thread alone). It is not what you think it should be but what SI
think it ought to be.

The penalty thing has been voiced for some time now; all the way back to the
cm4s and earlier. If they don't change it, they must think it is 100% right.
What are you going to do? Play it and lump it or tell SI again and again this
is too stupid and hope they eventually would refine the code. Whether they
would pick it up is another thing.

"The Wielder of the Scythe" <scytheNOSPAMWIBBLE@netvigator.com> wrote in
message news:42A082A5.463EE844@netvigator.com...
> Christo wrote:
>
>> "KerplunKuK" <kerplunk@greenday.freeserve.co[dot].uk> wrote in message
>> > This season I am 28 games in and have not hit the target let alone
>> > scored
>> > from a single free kick, and I have averaged probably three a game.
>> > Thanks
>>
>> i have noticed this, i have players with set pieces of about 18 and long
>> shots of like 14, i would have thought this was decent, each time it goes
>> over the bar
>> its the same for penalties, CL final penalty shoot out
>> up steps fernando torres, 18 penalty kicks and 19 finishing.... does he
>> score.... nope
>> up steps the oppositions centre back who has penalty kicks of 4 and
>> finishing
>> of 12, does he score... of course he does!!
>
> That is the programming. You would think some of this attribute rigmarole
> is
> intuitive but it is not. When the coding is done in a 'different' way from
> what
> you and I think how these handles of a player's performance ought to pan
> out,
> then it is more or less the luck of the draw. That is, they do not reflect
> anything like the numbers seen in the game.
>
> In the past, in some versions of the game, a player with 18+ in FK was too
> effective so SI toned it down. There were times and versions also when no
> matter how good the relevant attributes were, nothing would come of it.
> Remember the later cm2s and cm3s? FKs, bicycle kicks, overhead kicks never
> even
> hit the target never mind getting in. People saved screenies like they
> were
> gold when one did go in.
>
> That is how it is with all versions of CM (and I suppose FM too now by the
> looks of this thread alone). It is not what you think it should be but
> what SI
> think it ought to be.
>
> The penalty thing has been voiced for some time now; all the way back to
> the
> cm4s and earlier. If they don't change it, they must think it is 100%
> right.
> What are you going to do? Play it and lump it or tell SI again and again
> this
> is too stupid and hope they eventually would refine the code. Whether they
> would pick it up is another thing.

so what your saying is that the stats of players in the game dont reflect
how good the player is at certain things?

if not... you have confused me, which isnt really hard to do

a player with 20 penalty kicks should be better at penalties than a defender
with 2 penalty kicks, same for set pieces, it just doesn't make sense that
their not

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 01:03:37 +0200, KerplunKuK
<kerplunk@greenday.freeserve.co[dot].uk> wrote:

> Mr. Pink scribbled :
>
>> Explanation: IT`S A GAME!!!
>
> So what is the point in making it if that is a sensible answer? Surely
> stats should reflect ability, otherwise it is stupidly programmed.

Wich explains all the patches in the first place..;)

Christo wrote:

> "The Wielder of the Scythe" <scytheNOSPAMWIBBLE@netvigator.com> wrote in
> message news:42A082A5.463EE844@netvigator.com...
> > That is the programming. You would think some of this attribute rigmarole
> > is intuitive but it is not. When the coding is done in a 'different' way
> from
>
> so what your saying is that the stats of players in the game dont reflect
> how good the player is at certain things?

For some of the attributes like 'penalties', 'heading', 'corners' and by the
looks of it* in this thread 'Free Kicks', yes.
And the human vs computer team bias per the attributes has always been there.

(Bear in mind one important fact that may affect how my posts are read. I have
not played any CM/FM since cm4-season0304.)

> if not... you have confused me, which isnt really hard to do

It is not you who are confused. Anyone playing the game will take the logical
route - see the highest number for that particular attribute and assume it
should mean that is the best. But we know better.

One thing though, SI in the past made the crucial improvement to this aspect of
the game. No longer would someone with 20's in everything be useless because his
current/potential abilities are only 100/100. Now, some waif of a kid of
thirteen years young with the right attributes (e.g. 12 finishing) will
outperform established world class players (e.g. 200/200 with 20 finishing). Is
it moving the goalposts to the other extreme side for these attribute issues? I
don't know anymore.

> a player with 20 penalty kicks should be better at penalties than a defender
> with 2 penalty kicks, same for set pieces, it just doesn't make sense that
> their not

Yeah, but if YOU were to take over that AI side with that defender on 2 for
pen., then he would promptly decisively miss as well. See, it's all fair. CM/FM
does not discriminate. The human team has the short straw for these things.