Newbie question

Can anybody out there advise me on something?

At the moment I have the following setup :

1- Main Desktop PC connected to broadband via USB modem. Also has a Dlink
DWL-520+ PCI card
2- Second PC with Dlink DWL-520+ PCI card
3- Laptop with Dlink DWL-650+ PCI card

At the moment I have the PCs connected in ADHOC mode and in general it works
OK. However, sometimes when I am downstairs with the laptop (main computer
is upstairs), I get weak, slow or broken connections. In order to improve
this, I was looking to use an Access Point or router.

Problem is that my modem is a USB modem so needs to connect to my PC, not
directly into a router. Can I still share my internet connection through a
router or access point with the modem connected to my main PC? If I can, I
assume the main PC will connect to the router (e.g Dlink DI614+) through an
ethernet connection and the other two computer connect through the wireless
cards? Also, will this make the connection any better, faster or stronger.
Any other suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Grebo

Instead of connecting your modem directly to your PC, find a wireless router
that accepts USB input connection or else at least find a USB-to-RJ45
adapter and hook a wireless modem to this adapter.