TECH: Pong problems

Hi,
here I've a pong bootleg very similar to the atari version. It seems to
work, but I can't see the ball on the screen. During the game play
sores increase correctly, but the invisible ball never meet a paddle.
Do you have a pong theory of operation or can you tell me which
counters control the ball movement?
Thank you,
Marco
(vernimark)

Marco,

Depends on how similar it is to the Atari version, but start at E4 Pin
12 'Video' on the schematic and work your way back until you see which
signal net isn't toggling.

There are three components to the video generated on the card going to
pin 20 on the edge connector, one for score, one for the ball, and one
for composite sync. You want to look closely at what's generating the
video for the ball (naturally).

- Craig

Thank you Craig.
This night I'll try.
Do you have a readable pong schematic to send me? PDF I found is very
bad...
Thank you again,
Marco

Yes I do. If it's the same PDF I started with, then yes I am feeling
your pain. After many weeks of squinting and following traces on an
original board I have a new eye prescription and a fully annotated
non-fuzzy version of the schematic. I'll see about getting you a copy.
Email me here at hyarbr01 .aaattt. harris .dooot. com.

- Craig

Well those are better than what I started with! Alas you may still need
mine. Not all of the signals connections among the logic are shown, or
intuitive.

- Craig

Thank you Chuk, the second document was exactly what I was looking for.
I hope that there are not so much differences between Ateri schematics
and my PCB (Amutronics inc.)...

Anyway, look here :-(((
www.vernimark.com/temp/pong/pong_amutronics.htm

they wanted to give me the cab for free, but...

Quite right. VPAD1* and VPAD2* for the paddles, and I think some
combination of HVID* and VVID* for the playfield? They get muxed onto
VIDEO.

- Craig

Either of these files help?

http://www.barncade.com/docs/Pong%20%5bSchematics%5d.pdf
http://www.barncade.com/docs/Pin%20Pong%20(TM-007)%20%5bOperation%20&%20Maintenance%5d.pdf

"vernimark" <vernimark@vernimark.com> wrote in message
> Thank you Craig.
> This night I'll try.
> Do you have a readable pong schematic to send me? PDF I found is very
> bad...
> Thank you again,
> Marco

looking at this document:
http://www.barncade.com/docs/Pin%20Pong%20(TM-007)%20%5bOperation%20&...

I don't thing that PIN PONG is the same of PONG. I see in the
schematics an option: "3 or 5 balls"...

> There are three components to the video generated on the card going to
> pin 20 on the edge connector, one for score, one for the ball, and one
> for composite sync.

Don't forget the paddles and playfield video signals as well...

Alex
----
ayeckley@elektronforge.com
www.elektronforge.com

Yeah, I wasn't too sure, but I noticed the picture of the board looked like
a pong board. Figured maybe it was the same hardware.

On 2005-07-14 11:15:28 -0700, "vernimark" <vernimark@vernimark.com> said:

> Hi,
> here I've a pong bootleg very similar to the atari version. It seems to
> work, but I can't see the ball on the screen. During the game play
> sores increase correctly, but the invisible ball never meet a paddle.
> Do you have a pong theory of operation or can you tell me which
> counters control the ball movement?
> Thank you,
> Marco
> (vernimark)

Look up Video Probe in old Atari service literature. This is an
extremely simple peice of test gear ideal for these old B&W boards. It
is basically a resistor being used as a probe that the other end is
connected to the video line to the B&W monitor. It is amazing to see
how the picture is created and you can trace through the board even
without a schematic to see where the problem might be...

John :-#)#
--
(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup) John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call

TRENDING THREADS