how to change what program opens gif files

I have scanned medical records as gif files. Under win2k, these opened fine
using a kodak viewer. Under XP, gifs open via windows picture and fax viewer.
But a user who loaded itunes has it opening with Quick time. I have tried to
specify what program opens the gifs but it keeps going back to Qtime. How do
I change it? and how do I specify say a Kodak viewer instead of the windows
picture and fax viewer? Thanks for your help We are moving from 2k to XP and
I want to minimize the changes users see.

Ken

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306551

"ken larson" <kenlarson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have scanned medical records as gif files. Under win2k, these opened fine
> using a kodak viewer. Under XP, gifs open via windows picture and fax
> viewer.
> But a user who loaded itunes has it opening with Quick time. I have tried
> specify what program opens the gifs but it keeps going back to Qtime. How
> do
> I change it? and how do I specify say a Kodak viewer instead of the
> windows
> picture and fax viewer? Thanks for your help We are moving from 2k to XP
> and
> I want to minimize the changes users see.
>
> Ken

Right-click on any .gif and select 'Open With' then 'Choose Program'. Choose
the program you want, or Browse to the location of the program you want, and
select that. Remember to place a checkmark in 'Always use the selected
program...'

You may need to open every other program that tries to open .gif files and
instruct that program not to be the default for .gif.
--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"ken larson" <kenlarson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have scanned medical records as gif files. Under win2k, these opened
fine
> using a kodak viewer. Under XP, gifs open via windows picture and fax
viewer.
> But a user who loaded itunes has it opening with Quick time. I have tried
> specify what program opens the gifs but it keeps going back to Qtime. How
do
> I change it? and how do I specify say a Kodak viewer instead of the
windows
> picture and fax viewer? Thanks for your help We are moving from 2k to XP
and
> I want to minimize the changes users see.
>
> Ken

Look in QT's preferences. You've told it to keep stealing the association.