GALAGA/ GALAG Sound problem

Curently working on 2 Gallag (GALLAGA Bootlegs), both have the same issue.
the audio chip overheats and blows. The original chip is a HA1388 and the
smoke in a few minutes. On one of the boards, someone has put in a MOD card
to hack in a UPC1181 Audio chip as these are easier to find. But it too
experiences the overheat issue. These have been tried with a few different
power supplies so it is not voltage related....from the Switcher. I also
have a MIDWAY Gallaga board that has the same issue. There must be a bad
component somewhere that is loading this chip?
Anyone else seen this or have this problem?

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

might be a bad cap. One of the filter caps shorting voltage back thru the
amp??
"Steve Lewinsky" <coinop@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Curently working on 2 Gallag (GALLAGA Bootlegs), both have the same issue.
> the audio chip overheats and blows. The original chip is a HA1388 and the
> smoke in a few minutes. On one of the boards, someone has put in a MOD
card
> to hack in a UPC1181 Audio chip as these are easier to find. But it too
> experiences the overheat issue. These have been tried with a few different
> power supplies so it is not voltage related....from the Switcher. I also
> have a MIDWAY Gallaga board that has the same issue. There must be a bad
> component somewhere that is loading this chip?
> Anyone else seen this or have this problem?

I have gone through the caps and replaced them. Im at a total lose here.
Seeing that I have 3 boards doing the same thing on bench and in several
cabinets, I would think someone else has seen this.

"VaxX" <geoff_gunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> might be a bad cap. One of the filter caps shorting voltage back thru the
> amp??
> "Steve Lewinsky" <coinop@rogers.com> wrote in message
>> Curently working on 2 Gallag (GALLAGA Bootlegs), both have the same
>> issue.
>> the audio chip overheats and blows. The original chip is a HA1388 and the
>> smoke in a few minutes. On one of the boards, someone has put in a MOD
> card
>> to hack in a UPC1181 Audio chip as these are easier to find. But it too
>> experiences the overheat issue. These have been tried with a few
>> different
>> power supplies so it is not voltage related....from the Switcher. I also
>> have a MIDWAY Gallaga board that has the same issue. There must be a bad
>> component somewhere that is loading this chip?
>> Anyone else seen this or have this problem?

TRENDING THREADS