Need Monitor Adjusting Tools

Forgive me, but I am a newbie and I have recently started to restore a
Gyruss arcade machine I picked up at a yard sale for $15. So far I had to
replace a power supply, and all works fine. The only real problems so far
is that the screen is stretched too high, so I cannot see the top or bottom
of the screen. I called a local arcade dealer, and he told me that I need a
monitor adjusting tool for the horizontal width coil. Of course when I call
Radio Shack, the kids at the store do not know what I am talking about.
Does anyone know where I can find these, or tell me a work around? Also, I
need advice on how to fix the 8-way joystick. It tends to stick from time
to time, and thus the spaceship does not always move around. Finally, what
is the best way to clean up the coin door parts? I just want to clean
everything up and get some of the dust and light corrosion off of
everything.

Thanks in advance,

Robert
rgrover91@gmail.com

Radio Shack # 64-2220 which is a 5 piece TV alignment tool set (around
$3) is what you want.

newbie

Also- sometimes there is not enough adjustment in the Hor. width coil
to shrink or widen the picture enough. I recently had to adjust my NFL
Blitz game using a horizontal width kit I got from Bob Roberts. Very
simple to use... just have to do trial and error to find the right cap
that will adjust it to a satisfactory size. Then use the width coil to
fine tune it.

http://arcadecontrols.com/BBBB/width.html

Just my two cents.....

TS

be very carefull when adjusting the width coils... it LOOKS like you can
just stick an allen wrench in there and turn away... and you can... and it
will work... but it may very well also break the insides of the width coil.
The tools you need are made of nylon and are non-conductive so you can
change it with the power on.

my 2 most usefull tools for vids (other then the soldering gear which is
taken for granted):

nylon toolset & security torx set

"Robert Grover" <rgrover91@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Forgive me, but I am a newbie and I have recently started to restore a
> Gyruss arcade machine I picked up at a yard sale for $15. So far I had to
> replace a power supply, and all works fine. The only real problems so far
> is that the screen is stretched too high, so I cannot see the top or
> bottom of the screen. I called a local arcade dealer, and he told me that
> I need a monitor adjusting tool for the horizontal width coil. Of course
> when I call Radio Shack, the kids at the store do not know what I am
> talking about. Does anyone know where I can find these, or tell me a work
> around? Also, I need advice on how to fix the 8-way joystick. It tends
> to stick from time to time, and thus the spaceship does not always move
> around. Finally, what is the best way to clean up the coin door parts? I
> just want to clean everything up and get some of the dust and light
> corrosion off of everything.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Robert
> rgrover91@gmail.com

You actually can get them at Radio Shack (regardless of whether the
clerks know that). That's where I got mine.

-Dave Ellis
http://www.davesclassicarcade.com

Robert Grover wrote:
> Forgive me, but I am a newbie and I have recently started to restore a
> Gyruss arcade machine I picked up at a yard sale for $15. So far I had to
> replace a power supply, and all works fine. The only real problems so far
> is that the screen is stretched too high, so I cannot see the top or bottom
> of the screen. I called a local arcade dealer, and he told me that I need a
> monitor adjusting tool for the horizontal width coil. Of course when I call
> Radio Shack, the kids at the store do not know what I am talking about.
> Does anyone know where I can find these, or tell me a work around? Also, I
> need advice on how to fix the 8-way joystick. It tends to stick from time
> to time, and thus the spaceship does not always move around. Finally, what
> is the best way to clean up the coin door parts? I just want to clean
> everything up and get some of the dust and light corrosion off of
> everything.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Robert
> rgrover91@gmail.com

The nylon tools are a good suggestion to prevent inductive heating of a
metal allen wrench- but you'll find they often aren't up to the task of
turning a sticky horizontal width coil. Sometimes you'll have to
gently work the coil core loose before the nylon tool will turn it, and
sometimes you'll end up using a metal wrench with the power off and
trial and error.

The coils on GO-7's tend to be out of spec, and the old cores tend to
be both fragile and stuck (which is the worst combination). FWIW 4900
and 4600 don't seem to present the same problems- but I'll take a good
ole' GO-7 over a 4600 anyday.

Mike Doyle

Steve Muccione wrote:
> be very carefull when adjusting the width coils... it LOOKS like you can
> just stick an allen wrench in there and turn away... and you can... and it
> will work... but it may very well also break the insides of the width coil.
> The tools you need are made of nylon and are non-conductive so you can
> change it with the power on.

Agreed.

If you use a metal allen wrench with power on, the wrench will heat up
very quickly and you will either drop the wrench in pain or break the
inside of the coil. (like u said above)

Either power down and use a metal wrench to make small adjustments, or
get a plastic toolset to make adjustments on the fly.

Matt

> my 2 most usefull tools for vids (other then the soldering gear which is
> taken for granted):
>
> nylon toolset & security torx set
>
> "Robert Grover" <rgrover91@verizon.net> wrote in message

I'm just gonna jump in and say something everyone else forgot to say.

NICE SCORE!

- Matt

Actually I found the solution to my no text problem on my own last night.
It was a case of "Chip
Creep". I pulled the circuit boards and checked all of the chips on the
boards. I found a couple that were not seated all of the way, so I pulled
all of them and re-seated them again. That fixed the problem, and now I
have a working Gyruss Video Game Machine that only costed me $40!! ( $15 at
yard sale, $25 for new power supply).

"Matty-t" <matthews@audio-doctors.com> wrote in message
> I'm just gonna jump in and say something everyone else forgot to say.
>
> NICE SCORE!
>
> - Matt

LOL... yes, completely overlooked the fact that he snagged a gyruss (one of
my favorites) for $15.