Upgrade video or memory?

I'm planning to upgrade to a Athlon 64 939 from a 754. (I'm putting the old board and cpu in my spare box) My problem is that I can afford to either stay with AGP and keep my 9800Pro and buy better memory (current ram is 2x512 Corsair pc3200LL). Or I can keep using the same memory and go with a PCI express board and buy a 6600gt. What would you do?
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrade video memory
  1. I would buy the pci-e board. Thinking of the future and looking at te availability of the agp cards at the time...
    And a 9800Pro is still a good card to have. it plays everything!
  2. if you don't need a second computer, that is a really unecessary upgrade. You're not going to see much of a performance jump from 754-to-939, but it's going to cost you a crapload of cash.

If you buy a socket 939 mobo and new CPU, say with a 6600GT... you will see very little performance jump. Maybe 10 frames per second in some games.

In fact, you'd see FAR more of a performance jump, and for cheaper, if you bought a 6800 or X800 based AGP card for your current platform. We're talking framerate jumps in the 20's and 30's if not higher.

Is there another reason other than gaming you wanted to upgrade your entire platform? Because you're throwing away money if you're doing it solely for games...

Unless you need a socket 939 processor specifically for something - and I can't imagine what except needing a second computer, since you can get practically identical performing processors for 754 - it's basically a parallel upgrade.

If you're upgrading only because you need a second computer, well, I guess the 6600GT is a good buy for PCIe. But really, if you need a second computer that bad, buy a cheap AthlonXP platform, stick your old 9800 in it, and use the extra cash you saved to get yourself a 6800 or X800 based card. THAT would show you REAL gains.

3. What Cleeve said, except maybe DREAM about <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-157-035&depa=1" target="_new">This Board</A> in S939 format. :evil:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Video Memory Graphics