PC Freezing in Games

SnowWar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Hi,

I've got a problem here and I'm hoping someone can help me or atleast point me at poissible causes.

System looks as follows:

Intel P4 2.4 Ghz CPU
Gigabyte GA-SG667 Motherboard
512MB DDR 333 Ram
120GB Western Digital IDE HD (partitions: 20 GB = Winxp, 100GB Data)
Gigabyte Maya II Radeon 9700 Pro
Creative Audigity SE Sound Card
Leadtek TV2000XP Deluxe TV Card
In a Thermaltake Xaser II case with 5 fans

OK the problem (its been there for a while)

I've formatted my PC again to start from scratch. Installed Windows XP PRo SP1 onto the 20GB partition. Installed my latest Creative Audigy drivers, ATI Catalist 5.2 (also ms .net) & TV Card

The pc works great, except when playing some games. I've installed LOTR: Battle for Middle earth and started playing. The first stage or so went fine. But then the PC just started freezing up. So atm I get home from work, switch the PC on, load BFME, play for 20-30 odd minutes and then %##^ the PC freezes. I can restart the PC and load BFME again, but it just freezes shortly again. Its the same deal every time. (now I have another game I'm not getting my money's worth for)
I've had this happened to other games in the past aswell, but then there are also others that works, like Half-Life 2. I finished it without any problems.

Now the above suggests to me that It can be a heat problem. Well my CPU's temp is fine and fan is working, the 5 fans in the Thermaltake box has to help also. The radeons fan is also running, but its small and if I had to put a questionmark somewhere, it will be on it. But then again, if its a heat problem, why did this not happed while playing HL2?...

So if you can help me with anything, I would appreciate it (or need more info, ask away)

Thanks,

Snowy

Hmmmmm....that should be ok...have you run any tests to see if the voltages are ok?

Usually freezes such as you've described are caused by either an underpowered PSU/voltage fluctuations or bad RAM. Have your tried memtest on your RAM? What brand/spec is your RAM?

:eek: I don't only break your heart, I also break your pelvis :eek:

Download Motherboard Monitor for your voltages (and temps), and Memtest86 for your RAM. All are free downloads, just google the names.

:eek: I don't only break your heart, I also break your pelvis :eek:

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
I've had this happened to other games in the past as well, but then there are also others that works, like Half-Life 2. I finished it without any problems.

Now the above suggests to me that It can be a heat problem.

Errrr. Now how does this suggest that it is a heat problem? HL2 is pretty demanding. If you finished the game without incident then your heat situation is fine. If you had RAM or PSU problems they would be more likely to manifest themselves when playing HL rather than LOTR.

You said that some games run fine while others crash/lock up your PC. Have you made sure that all the latest patches for all the games you play are installed? Many games have various stability problems out of the box and need to be patched. That's why I rarely buy a game the day it ships. I prefer to wait 4-6 weeks or longer for users to send all their complaints to the publisher so that a patch can be made because no amount of beta testing can reveal ALL the problems that arise in the real world of PC gaming :eek:)

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:

SnowWar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
I was refering to the fact that it keeps locking up after X minutes of starting up and playing the game(s). The PC will stay up for weeks on end when I just play music of use Windows normaly.

SnowWar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Right, I've installed HL2 again and noticed that it also hangs no, so all my games hang.
3D Mark 2003 also kicks out to desktop during test 1.

I ran the Memtest86 and no errors detected. Also installed MBM, but I don't really know much about it and what the voltages should be. Noted that it does not stay constant thou. Please have a look @ http://snowwar.is-a-geek.com/PCInfo.htm

Hope this helps u and eventually me :)