Pong - Was this the 1st vid ever made?

Curious.... Is Pong really the 1st vid ever made or was there something
else?

John

Computer Space was the first video game.

"Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Curious.... Is Pong really the 1st vid ever made or was there something
> else?
>
> John

Actually, Spacewar on the old PDP-1 computer main frame was the first video
game: http://www3.sympatico.ca/maury/games/space/spacewar.html

Brian

"Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
> Computer Space was the first video game.
>
> "Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Curious.... Is Pong really the 1st vid ever made or was there something
> > else?
> >
> > John

Short version,

Pong was the first successful coin-op videogame.

Computer space was the first coin-op videogame.

A few predecessors were availble in the early days as described in the
history.

-isaac

This is an interesting debate.
Space War came before Computer Space but Computer Space became the
first real coin op game.
Can a bunch of 'nerds' playing SW on a main frame be considered the
first actual game or are we only considering the 'coin op' version as a
game?
SW was only recognized as a game since so many people played it on the
main frame. It came to the coin op industry in '77 but CS came in '71.

So heres an interesting survey question.

Do you consider Space Wars the first ?
or
Do you consider Computer Space the first ?

I vote Computer Space

Don
arcadeguy.com

I vote Computer Space because- it's the first coin operated video game.
If the question is qualified by "coin operated", then Computer Space
is the answer.

If you're asking what is the first ever video game without the coin op
qualifier, then you could argue that the Brookhaven labs demo was the
first. There are other early pong type games, but I believe the lab
demo using an O-scope and control box was the *very* first.

Mike Doyle

I'm with Mike on this one. "Tennis for Two" by William Higenbotham was
the first video game even though it ran on an oscilloscope instead of a
monitor. There was a Tic-Tac-Toe game made in 1952 by A.S. Douglas
which used a display interface but it hardly qualifies as a video game.
Ralph Baer came up with the idea in 1966 for a video game before
Computer Space was on the street but his was for home TVs.
So the debate "which is the first video game" requires some
definitions. Do you consider an oscilloscope video? What about the
Tic-Tac-Toe display of A.S. Douglas'es machine?
Is Baer's "brown box" a video game? It was really more of a console
instead of the coin-operated arcade video games we all think of after
Pong.
If you lean more in your definition toward the coin-operated machines
like Pong, then Computer Space was the first.

Sorry for the confusion and I guess my defination just isnt the same as
the status quo. I guess the question would be:

What would you consider to be the first real Arcade Game?

Why would i ask it like that? The reason is easy. Although Space Wars
was on a main frame it wasnt played publically but was released for
Atari 2600. I do belive they did the 77 version though.
I dont consider Space Wars the first because it wasnt played publically
so hence my vote for Computer Space.

How would you determain wich is first?

Don

Again Computer Space would be the answer.

Then again, if the question is merely which was "the first real Arcade
Game" then I suppose Log Cabin from the turn of the century would be
the answer as it appears to be the original of pinball.
http://members.aol.com/rusjensen/thesis.htm

But I digress.
I suspect your question is really what was the first real arcade video
game in which case the answer is Computer Space.

Interestingly enough...... Pong and Computer space are not emulated in
Mame. How about them apples?

John

In article <1121465522.809044.258250@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Baraka <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Interestingly enough...... Pong and Computer space are not emulated in
>Mame. How about them apples?

Arcade Pong was all TTL, wasn't it? Was Computer Space? There's no
Monaco GP for the same reason, I believe. No CPU=no MAME.

Adam

Thats funny about the monaco GP stuff I read. I sold my cockpit a
while back and I had my way witht he boards firsthand. They HAVE ROMS.
I guess I should have dumped them?

I have all the stuff here to do low level in circuit sound samples for
all the old B&W boards I have stashed away that do contain program
ROMS. Maybe I should make it a point to get around to dumping some roms
and sampling some sounds for the sake of preservation.

Right on about the TTL issue though. Although games as simple as pong
and computer space can be hardware reverse engineered and put into code
emulation if someone was so inclined. Nothing is impossible.

However google sites several definitions of the term "VIDEO" and one
being "Motion Pictures" thus early electromechanical coin operated
games using projection and film would qualify as well. So depending on
how you perceive the term "VIDEO" could suggest the earliest form of
coin operated electromechanical game utilizing this method qualifies as
a video game.

- Matt

I could dump the proms no problem on a Monaco GP, i have about three
boardsets here. But they've already been dumped. That's not the
problem. IIRC Monaco GP and Pong have both been in mame at some point,
emulated to some degree, but the mame team deemed it policy not to
emulate anything that didn't use a cpu, and thus dropped them. Very
early on (like in the 30's version numbers i think).

If my understanding of this is correct, then it's a shame, but they're
right as they're not really emulating if it's purely TTL with a few
roms bunged in for good measure i guess?

Dunno!

> Right on about the TTL issue though. Although games as simple as pong
> and computer space can be hardware reverse engineered and put into code
> emulation if someone was so inclined. Nothing is impossible.

I have a Computer Space simulator on my website if anyone is
interested.
http://www.computerspacefan.com

Take note: it is a SIMulator not an EMulator. Since the original was
all TTL I couldn't sample any code from it. I developed the closest
approximation with a game designer by playing my original Computer
Space and the simulator side by side till they matched.
Enjoy.

TRENDING THREADS