Basic Laptop, $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

froyopro

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm looking to pick up a relatively inexpensive laptop for simple tasks.

1. What is your budget?

I can afford $300 for this purchase, shipping not included.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

14" or 15" (roughly) sized screen, regular sized keyboard (though 10-key isn't necessary).

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Not terribly important.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable.

5. How much battery life do you need?

5-6 hours would be nice.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Not really, I have a desktop for gaming.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

I'm primarily interested in being able to use OpenOffice, with Netflix or Pandora streaming in the background, and to do this without really slowing down or having difficulties.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Minimum. 128 gigs would be more than enough.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Amazon for Prime would be best, though Newegg of course is always welcome.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

As long as it keeps going!

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD ROM.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I really have no preference here, though I'm hesitant around Compaq and HP due to decades-old tech support nightmares.

13. What country do you live in?

USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

This will be used primarily for writing, though it'll be pressed into service occasionally to stream audio or video content and to surf the world wide webs.

I don't recommend what Dingo07 says. You will usually get stuck with an Atom based latpop, which isn't that powerful and usually the graphics are crap. At least with the laptop I listed above you have some decent graphics with a lower power CPU too for a reasonable price. There are deals that come around that can beat it, so keep any eye out for those.

Status
Not open for further replies.