how to recover an account dir from old xp install?

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003
the problem is this: ive installed an additional hd in my pc. this hd has xp installed on it and contains an account dir of mine that i wish to copy to my new drive before i wipe the old hd.

the problem is that i have no access to that account directory, this is probably due to some security setting in xp that prevents you to access other account dirs when logged in (although this account dir is on another harddrive/xp-install this access restriction still seems to hold aargghh!)

ive tried booting the old hd, for some reason it doesnt want to boot in my current pc.

ive also tried booting from a win98 bootdisk to try to copy the dir via dos, but ofcourse dos doesnt handle ntfs formatted drives... grrr

apart from reinstalling the hd in my old pc again (which i really really dont want to do) im out of options.

does anyone know a way to recover this directory (maybe some program that circumvents this access restriction)? or if you know why the old hd wont boot in my pc (and how to fix this), so i can login on the old install?

mucho grazias for any help!!
greetz

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by smith on 08/18/03 12:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

goblinking

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
NTFS for DOS lets you access files on an NTFS drive whilst running DOS or Win9x, and copy them to a FAT or FAT32 drive. It's freeware, available from ntfs.com

I'm not sure this will help you though, because NTFS encrypts files as well as simply denying access. If the filea are encrypted and NTFS for DOS can't read them, you might be out of luck.

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003
ah, thanx for your reply, but i already found a way to get to the account. it turns out that one can take ownership of files through the security tab of the file properties (i initially didnt see this tab because simple file sharing was enabled (doh!) ), thanx again,

greetz.