C-Media AC97 Audio Device Error

My sound card is giving me trouble. Windows XP finds and device and installs
the drivers, but gives an error "There was a problem installing this
hardware: This device cannot start. (Code 10)" When I do a properties on
the device in the device manager under the Driver tab I show:
Driver Provider: C-Media Inc
Driver Date: 5/20/2005
Version: 5.12.1.49

I have removed and re-added the device many times, each time resulting in
Code 10. The sound card was working just fine before I reformatted my HDD.
10 answers Last reply
More about media ac97 audio device error

    Afetr you formatted your HD and reloaded XP did you also reload your
    motherboard drivers that came with your PC??
    peterk

    the problem
    "ibradly" <ibradly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My sound card is giving me trouble. Windows XP finds and device and
    > installs
    > the drivers, but gives an error "There was a problem installing this
    > hardware: This device cannot start. (Code 10)" When I do a properties on
    > the device in the device manager under the Driver tab I show:
    > Driver Provider: C-Media Inc
    > Driver Date: 5/20/2005
    > Version: 5.12.1.49
    >
    > I have removed and re-added the device many times, each time resulting in
    > Code 10. The sound card was working just fine before I reformatted my
    > HDD.

    Regretfully no. I have misplaced the cd that came with my motherboard (in a
    move).

    "peterk" wrote:

    > Afetr you formatted your HD and reloaded XP did you also reload your
    > motherboard drivers that came with your PC??
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about
    > the problem
    > "ibradly" <ibradly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My sound card is giving me trouble. Windows XP finds and device and
    > > installs
    > > the drivers, but gives an error "There was a problem installing this
    > > hardware: This device cannot start. (Code 10)" When I do a properties on
    > > the device in the device manager under the Driver tab I show:
    > > Driver Provider: C-Media Inc
    > > Driver Date: 5/20/2005
    > > Version: 5.12.1.49
    > >
    > > I have removed and re-added the device many times, each time resulting in
    > > Code 10. The sound card was working just fine before I reformatted my
    > > HDD.

    Well you can download them from the mobo website

    > Regretfully no. I have misplaced the cd that came with my motherboard (in
    > move).
    >

    > "peterk" wrote:
    >
    >> Afetr you formatted your HD and reloaded XP did you also reload your
    >> motherboard drivers that came with your PC??
    >> peterk
    >>
    >> --
    >> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
    >> about
    >> the problem
    >> "ibradly" <ibradly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My sound card is giving me trouble. Windows XP finds and device and
    >> > installs
    >> > the drivers, but gives an error "There was a problem installing this
    >> > hardware: This device cannot start. (Code 10)" When I do a properties
    >> > on
    >> > the device in the device manager under the Driver tab I show:
    >> > Driver Provider: C-Media Inc
    >> > Driver Date: 5/20/2005
    >> > Version: 5.12.1.49
    >> >
    >> > I have removed and re-added the device many times, each time resulting
    >> > in
    >> > Code 10. The sound card was working just fine before I reformatted my
    >> > HDD.

    Thanks a lot. I don't know why I didn't think to do that in the first place.
    My mind isn't working after being back from vacation. Got it working!!

    =?Utf-8?B?aWJyYWRseQ==?= Wrote:
    > Thanks a lot. I don't know why I didn't think to do that in the first
    > place.
    > My mind isn't working after being back from vacation. Got it
    > working!!
    >
    > "peterk" wrote:
    >
    > > Well you can download them from the mobo website
    > > peterk
    would you mind give me the link where do u download it from cause i
    encounted the same problem

    --
    kewellPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    I went to http://www.ecsusa.com/ and did a search for the model number of my
    motherboards. Turns out I didn't have the C-media built in sound chipset,
    but something else. Hope this helps you.

    "kewell" wrote:

    > =?Utf-8?B?aWJyYWRseQ==?= Wrote:
    > > Thanks a lot. I don't know why I didn't think to do that in the first
    > > place.
    > > My mind isn't working after being back from vacation. Got it
    > > working!!
    > >
    > > "peterk" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Well you can download them from the mobo website
    > > > peterk
    > would you mind give me the link where do u download it from cause i
    > encounted the same problem
    >

    > --
    > kewellPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    http://www.cmedia.com.tw/e_download_01.htm
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/cmedia-9738.html
    http://soundcard.free-driver-download.com/C-Media/16817/C-Media-AC97-Codec-Audio-Rack-2.11-Windows-98SE-ME-2000-XP.html
    http://tinyurl.com/8evno

    you need to determine which one you need
    peterk

    the problem
    "kewell" <kewell.1qdc3b@> wrote in message

    > =?Utf-8?B?aWJyYWRseQ==?= Wrote:
    >> Thanks a lot. I don't know why I didn't think to do that in the first
    >> place.
    >> My mind isn't working after being back from vacation. Got it
    >> working!!
    >>
    >> "peterk" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Well you can download them from the mobo website
    >> > peterk
    > would you mind give me the link where do u download it from cause i
    > encounted the same problem
    >

    > --
    > kewellPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    well, seems i'm having the same problem as somebody else here. i've done
    already done everything you guys have posted here and anything else i could
    think of to try. no luck. sound was working perfectly up until three hours
    ago when suddenly, bam, nothing. you guys have anything else i could possibly
    try?

    "peterk" wrote:

    > http://www.cmedia.com.tw/e_download_01.htm
    > http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/cmedia-9738.html
    > http://soundcard.free-driver-download.com/C-Media/16817/C-Media-AC97-Codec-Audio-Rack-2.11-Windows-98SE-ME-2000-XP.html
    > http://tinyurl.com/8evno
    >

    > you need to determine which one you need
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about
    > the problem
    > "kewell" <kewell.1qdc3b@> wrote in message
    > >
    > > =?Utf-8?B?aWJyYWRseQ==?= Wrote:
    > >> Thanks a lot. I don't know why I didn't think to do that in the first
    > >> place.
    > >> My mind isn't working after being back from vacation. Got it
    > >> working!!

    > > would you mind give me the link where do u download it from cause i
    > > encounted the same problem
    > >

    > > --
    > > kewellPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

  9. I have the same problem. I reinstalled my hd and the same thing happened. I've also tried to download and install C-medias but still no sound. The volume control will not appear in the task bar or will any of the music player play.

    Operating System System Model
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Enclosure Type: Desktop
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    1,10 gigahertz AMD Athlon
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-7VT600 1.x
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F8 09/24/2003
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    77,11 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    62,55 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

    SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352B [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

    Brother DCP-130C USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
    JetFlash Transcend 8GB USB Device [Hard drive] (8,03 GB) -- drive 1
    ST380011A [Hard drive] (77,12 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 3JV0BYNV, rev 3.04, SMART Status: Healthy 512 Megabytes Installed Memory

    Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
    Slot 'A1' is Empty
    Slot 'A2' is Empty
    Local Drive Volumes

    c: (NTFS on drive 0) 77,11 GB 62,55 GB free
    Network Drives
    None detected
    Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
    local user accounts last logon
    Nina 12/11/2008 4:28:51 (admin)
    local system accounts
    Administrator never (admin)
    Guest never
    HelpAssistant never
    SUPPORT_388945a0 never

    DISABLED Marks a disabled account; LOCKED OUT Marks a locked account

    Brother DCP-130C USB Printer on USB001
    PaperPort Color Printer Driver on BIPORT
    PaperPort Mono Printer Driver on BIPORT
    Controllers Display
    Standard floppy disk controller
    Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
    Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
    VIA Bus Master IDE Controller NVIDIA Vanta/Vanta LT (Microsoft Corporation) [Display adapter]
    PRT VL1918 [Monitor] (19,1"vis, Ìàé 2005)
    Bus Adapters Multimedia
    VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (3x) C-Media AC97 Audio Device
    MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
    Standard Game Port
    Communications Other Devices
    SoftV92 Data Fax Modem

    Actiontec Gateway
    primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.0.2 / 24
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    Dhcp Server: 192.168.0.1
    Physical Address: 00:15:05:3D:77:42
    Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    Dhcp Server: none responded
    Physical Address: 00:0D:61:2A:B2:D6

    Networking Dns Servers: 192.168.0.1
    205.171.3.26
    Brother DCP-130C USB
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    USB Composite Device
    USB Mass Storage Device (2x)
    USB Printing Support
    USB Root Hub (3x)

    Email me the reply
    zaye-nina@yandex.ru
  10. I have the same problem. I reinstalled my hd and the same thing happened. I've also tried to download and install C-medias but still no sound. The volume control will not appear in the task bar or will any of the music player play.

[...]

    i also have the problame sO! please try to help me send me the solution on my mail id!
    Email me the reply
    abhimodi04@gmail.com]

Devices Sound Cards Windows XP