Can a Product ID be used with any copy of XP?

June 8, 2005 2:54:08 AM

Hello,

I've got a friend that has a system that needs to have XP reinstalled, but
his computer didn't come with an XP cd. But it does have an Product ID code
sticker on the back of the PC. Can I use any copy of XP on CD to reinstall
and use the ID code that's on the back of the PC?

Thanks,

Jeff

More about : product copy

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 2:54:09 AM

No!

--

"Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23IQ4XV9aFHA.2668@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
>
> I've got a friend that has a system that needs to have XP reinstalled, but
> his computer didn't come with an XP cd. But it does have an Product ID code
> sticker on the back of the PC. Can I use any copy of XP on CD to reinstall
> and use the ID code that's on the back of the PC?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 2:54:09 AM

Your friends computer has a hidden restore partition on the hard drive (if
he was not provided a Restore CD set). You should use it to restore, not a
disk that did not come with the computer. To access the restore partition,
refer to the owners manual that came with the computer, or visit the website
of the manufacturer to find out how to access the hidden partition on boot
up.

Bobby

"Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've got a friend that has a system that needs to have XP reinstalled, but
> his computer didn't come with an XP cd. But it does have an Product ID
> code
> sticker on the back of the PC. Can I use any copy of XP on CD to
> reinstall
> and use the ID code that's on the back of the PC?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

June 8, 2005 4:34:22 AM

Jeff;
Probably not unless your computer is the same make and the CDs for both
systems are identical.
Contact the computer manufacturer for possibility of replacement CD.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've got a friend that has a system that needs to have XP reinstalled, but
> his computer didn't come with an XP cd. But it does have an Product ID
> code
> sticker on the back of the PC. Can I use any copy of XP on CD to
> reinstall
> and use the ID code that's on the back of the PC?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 9:01:34 AM

That's interesting because the only thing that's being used are the files
off the CD. The activation code is still unique and not being used twice.
Is the activation code then unique to the CD it'sself?

Could someone give me further explaination as to why this wouldn't work?

Thanks,

Jeff

"Mr. XP" <mrxp2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o 1TsNc9aFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
No!

--

"Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've got a friend that has a system that needs to have XP reinstalled, but
> his computer didn't come with an XP cd. But it does have an Product ID
code
> sticker on the back of the PC. Can I use any copy of XP on CD to
reinstall
> and use the ID code that's on the back of the PC?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 10:40:47 AM

Hi,

The Product Keys are not unique to the installation disk, but they are
unique to the type of media used. In other words, you can't mix and match
Home/Pro keys, Retail/OEM keys, etc., or any combination thereof.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o ep1tiAbFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> That's interesting because the only thing that's being used are the files
> off the CD. The activation code is still unique and not being used twice.
> Is the activation code then unique to the CD it'sself?
>
> Could someone give me further explaination as to why this wouldn't work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff
>
> "Mr. XP" <mrxp2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o 1TsNc9aFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> No!
>
> --
>

> "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've got a friend that has a system that needs to have XP reinstalled,
>> but
>> his computer didn't come with an XP cd. But it does have an Product ID
> code
>> sticker on the back of the PC. Can I use any copy of XP on CD to
> reinstall
>> and use the ID code that's on the back of the PC?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jeff

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 11:16:03 PM

Jeff Ingram wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a friend that has a system that needs to have XP reinstalled, but
> his computer didn't come with an XP cd. But it does have an Product ID code
> sticker on the back of the PC. Can I use any copy of XP on CD to reinstall
> and use the ID code that's on the back of the PC?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

You can't use "any" WinXP CD, but another OEM CD should work.

Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of CD/license
(OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are purchased.
For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any retail
version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice versa.
An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with a full version CD, and
vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to install a retail
product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an English CD.
Bottom line: Product Keys and CD types cannot be mixed & matched.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 2:07:52 AM

"Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've got a friend that has a system that needs to have XP reinstalled, but
>his computer didn't come with an XP cd. But it does have an Product ID code
>sticker on the back of the PC. Can I use any copy of XP on CD to reinstall
>and use the ID code that's on the back of the PC?

First of all, all computers sold with *legimate* copies of Windows XP
must include a method by which the operating system can be
reinstalled. The details of how that is done may vary, but some
workable means of doing this must be done. Common ways of doing this
include:
- a Windows XP installation CD
- a "System Recovery" CD or CDs that include an image file of the
installed Windows XP as it was when the computer left the factory.
- a hidden "System Recovery" partition on the hard drive that includes
the image file as above.

If your friend did not receive anything of this sort with his computer
then he needs to contact the place where he purchased it and get this
sorted out. If they do not provide him with some means of
reinstalling his Windows XP then the full particulars of the
transaction, including names, dates, and places, needs to be reported
to piracy@microsoft.com

Now to your question.
The use of an installation CD from one computer together with the
product key from another computer will only work if the two computers
have the same type and version of Windows XP installed.

By type of Windows XP I mean Retail Upgrade, Retail Full Install, OEM,
Volume License, or Academic. Each of these has specific identifying
components integrated into the product key and CDs from one type will
not work with product keys from a different type.

By version of Windows XP I mean Home, Professional, Media Center, or
Tablet; and again the product keys are unique to each of these and
cannot be used for a different version.

But if the type and version are the same then what you propose will
work.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--