Can a Product ID be used with any copy of XP?

Hello,

I've got a friend that has a system that needs to have XP reinstalled, but
his computer didn't come with an XP cd. But it does have an Product ID code
sticker on the back of the PC. Can I use any copy of XP on CD to reinstall
and use the ID code that's on the back of the PC?

Thanks,

Jeff
7 answers Last reply
More about product copy

    No!

    --

    "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23IQ4XV9aFHA.2668@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got a friend that has a system that needs to have XP reinstalled, but
    > his computer didn't come with an XP cd. But it does have an Product ID code
    > sticker on the back of the PC. Can I use any copy of XP on CD to reinstall
    > and use the ID code that's on the back of the PC?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff

    Your friends computer has a hidden restore partition on the hard drive (if
    he was not provided a Restore CD set). You should use it to restore, not a
    disk that did not come with the computer. To access the restore partition,
    refer to the owners manual that came with the computer, or visit the website
    of the manufacturer to find out how to access the hidden partition on boot
    up.

    Bobby

    "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got a friend that has a system that needs to have XP reinstalled, but
    > his computer didn't come with an XP cd. But it does have an Product ID
    > code
    > sticker on the back of the PC. Can I use any copy of XP on CD to
    > reinstall
    > and use the ID code that's on the back of the PC?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff

    Jeff;
    Probably not unless your computer is the same make and the CDs for both
    systems are identical.
    Contact the computer manufacturer for possibility of replacement CD.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got a friend that has a system that needs to have XP reinstalled, but
    > his computer didn't come with an XP cd. But it does have an Product ID
    > code
    > sticker on the back of the PC. Can I use any copy of XP on CD to
    > reinstall
    > and use the ID code that's on the back of the PC?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff

    That's interesting because the only thing that's being used are the files
    off the CD. The activation code is still unique and not being used twice.
    Is the activation code then unique to the CD it'sself?

    Could someone give me further explaination as to why this wouldn't work?

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    "Mr. XP" <mrxp2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    No!

    --

    "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got a friend that has a system that needs to have XP reinstalled, but
    > his computer didn't come with an XP cd. But it does have an Product ID
    code
    > sticker on the back of the PC. Can I use any copy of XP on CD to
    reinstall
    > and use the ID code that's on the back of the PC?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff

    Hi,

    The Product Keys are not unique to the installation disk, but they are
    unique to the type of media used. In other words, you can't mix and match
    Home/Pro keys, Retail/OEM keys, etc., or any combination thereof.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Jeff Ingram wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got a friend that has a system that needs to have XP reinstalled, but
    > his computer didn't come with an XP cd. But it does have an Product ID code
    > sticker on the back of the PC. Can I use any copy of XP on CD to reinstall
    > and use the ID code that's on the back of the PC?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff

    You can't use "any" WinXP CD, but another OEM CD should work.

    Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of CD/license
    (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are purchased.
    For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any retail
    version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice versa.
    An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with a full version CD, and
    vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to install a retail
    product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an English CD.
    Bottom line: Product Keys and CD types cannot be mixed & matched.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I've got a friend that has a system that needs to have XP reinstalled, but
    >his computer didn't come with an XP cd. But it does have an Product ID code
    >sticker on the back of the PC. Can I use any copy of XP on CD to reinstall
    >and use the ID code that's on the back of the PC?

    First of all, all computers sold with *legimate* copies of Windows XP
    must include a method by which the operating system can be
    reinstalled. The details of how that is done may vary, but some
    workable means of doing this must be done. Common ways of doing this
    include:
    - a Windows XP installation CD
    - a "System Recovery" CD or CDs that include an image file of the
    installed Windows XP as it was when the computer left the factory.
    - a hidden "System Recovery" partition on the hard drive that includes
    the image file as above.

    If your friend did not receive anything of this sort with his computer
    then he needs to contact the place where he purchased it and get this
    sorted out. If they do not provide him with some means of
    reinstalling his Windows XP then the full particulars of the
    transaction, including names, dates, and places, needs to be reported
    to piracy@microsoft.com

    Now to your question.
    The use of an installation CD from one computer together with the
    product key from another computer will only work if the two computers
    have the same type and version of Windows XP installed.

    By type of Windows XP I mean Retail Upgrade, Retail Full Install, OEM,
    Volume License, or Academic. Each of these has specific identifying
    components integrated into the product key and CDs from one type will
    not work with product keys from a different type.

    By version of Windows XP I mean Home, Professional, Media Center, or
    Tablet; and again the product keys are unique to each of these and
    cannot be used for a different version.

    But if the type and version are the same then what you propose will
    work.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --