PC will run in safe mode but not in normal. HELP.

My PC has been acting real strange lately. I have a really difficult time
getting windows to load. Everytime I start the PC everything pretty much
goes smooth until it gets to the windows XP loading screen (right before the
welcome screen). The screen doesnt go away. The little moving bar on the
screen is moving but it doesnt
load. I've tried going to the restarting, rebooting, and last known good
settings and nothing works. But if I go to safe mode then it works. Any one
have any ideas?

Alex
5 answers Last reply
More about safe mode normal help

    Hi Alex,

    If you can reach safe mode, then you can use the steps outlined here:

    How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP [Q310560]
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My PC has been acting real strange lately. I have a really difficult time
    > getting windows to load. Everytime I start the PC everything pretty much
    > goes smooth until it gets to the windows XP loading screen (right before
    > the
    > welcome screen). The screen doesnt go away. The little moving bar on the
    > screen is moving but it doesnt
    > load. I've tried going to the restarting, rebooting, and last known good
    > settings and nothing works. But if I go to safe mode then it works. Any
    > one
    > have any ideas?
    >
    > Alex

    I experimented around with msconfig and nothing. Same results. This is
    driving me insane.
    On another note, can it be SP2? I noticed that it really started doing this
    after I got the SP2.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi Alex,
    >
    > If you can reach safe mode, then you can use the steps outlined here:
    >
    > How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP [Q310560]
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My PC has been acting real strange lately. I have a really difficult time
    > > getting windows to load. Everytime I start the PC everything pretty much
    > > goes smooth until it gets to the windows XP loading screen (right before
    > > the
    > > welcome screen). The screen doesnt go away. The little moving bar on the
    > > screen is moving but it doesnt
    > > load. I've tried going to the restarting, rebooting, and last known good
    > > settings and nothing works. But if I go to safe mode then it works. Any
    > > one
    > > have any ideas?
    > >
    > > Alex

    Hi,

    Unless it stopped booting correctly immediately after installing SP2, I
    doubt that is the reason. The more likely reason is malware or spyware. If
    the clean boot instructions failed to help, then you might try cleaning the
    system. These should help:

    Adaware www.lavasoft.de
    Spybot www.safer-networking.org

    --

    >I experimented around with msconfig and nothing. Same results. This is
    > driving me insane.
    > On another note, can it be SP2? I noticed that it really started doing
    > this
    > after I got the SP2.
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Alex,
    >>
    >> If you can reach safe mode, then you can use the steps outlined here:
    >>
    >> How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP [Q310560]
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My PC has been acting real strange lately. I have a really difficult
    >> > time
    >> > getting windows to load. Everytime I start the PC everything pretty
    >> > much
    >> > goes smooth until it gets to the windows XP loading screen (right
    >> > before
    >> > the
    >> > welcome screen). The screen doesnt go away. The little moving bar on
    >> > the
    >> > screen is moving but it doesnt
    >> > load. I've tried going to the restarting, rebooting, and last known
    >> > good
    >> > settings and nothing works. But if I go to safe mode then it works.
    >> > Any
    >> > one
    >> > have any ideas?
    >> >
    >> > Alex

    Hi,

    can it be spyware or malware even if the computer was just formatted? I
    formatted originally because I too thought it was spyware or malware. But
    even after, it still had a hard time getting into normal mode.
    I just ran ad-aware and it was pretty routine. So I dont think thats the
    case. Can it be anything else?

    Alex

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Unless it stopped booting correctly immediately after installing SP2, I
    > doubt that is the reason. The more likely reason is malware or spyware. If
    > the clean boot instructions failed to help, then you might try cleaning the
    > system. These should help:
    >
    > Adaware www.lavasoft.de
    > Spybot www.safer-networking.org

    Hi,

    Only other thing may be a normal mode driver that is being loaded, that
    takes more time to isolate:

    HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316434

    --

    > Hi,
    >
    > can it be spyware or malware even if the computer was just formatted? I
    > formatted originally because I too thought it was spyware or malware. But
    > even after, it still had a hard time getting into normal mode.
    > I just ran ad-aware and it was pretty routine. So I dont think thats the
    > case. Can it be anything else?
    >
    > Alex
    >

    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Unless it stopped booting correctly immediately after installing SP2, I
    >> doubt that is the reason. The more likely reason is malware or spyware.
    >> If
    >> the clean boot instructions failed to help, then you might try cleaning
    >> the
    >> system. These should help:
    >>
    >> Adaware www.lavasoft.de
    >> Spybot www.safer-networking.org