*Need help with card*

DT1984

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
hi, I have a dell dim 8400 , I see a few cards like the x800xl and others come with an extra power extension cable, what is this for, and does anyone actually know if my dell has a place for the extra power cable.. thanks

G

The newer high end graphics cards such as the x800xl require significant amounts of power, hence they recommend a higher wattage psu, some will even require a separate 12V rail to avoid overtaxing the mb/cpu. Whether or not your sys can handle it will depend on whether dell put a decent or a pos power supply unit in it. More info is needed at this point :frown:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially a <b> Journeyman </b>!! </font color=green>

DT1984

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
the power supply is 350watts, I think it can handle the x800.. because dell sells pc's with them, I'm just not sure about where the extra power chord goes and if I have a place for it on the psu..

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
They provide the cord in case you don't have enough molex connectors spare, which (your system being a Dell) you might not.

As stated above, the higher-end cards need their own little plug in addition to the power they get through the AGP port.

If you have no unused power connectors (they're all plugged into Hard disks & Cdroms etc.), then you can unplug a drive, insert the 'Y' splitter cable on, and then you get 2 plugs out of one, if you see what I mean.

At least I think that's what you're talking about, anyway :smile:

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen

G

Try what Chipdeath said; if that doesn't work you may need to get a new PSU. :frown:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially a <b> Journeyman </b>!! </font color=green>

TRENDING THREADS