replaceing video card

whatamidoing

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
I am trying to find out what video card would be best to upgrade this old computer. It is a compaq presario 5wv252. I have added memory up to 256 but am planning to go higher. limited funds and knowledge so please keep it simple and cheap. thanx! Sorry, I should have had more info to start. I don't know what most of this is but here is what I found. AMD Duron 750/100mhz, System Rom Family 786K1, primary drive 0 19092 mb. NVidia Vanta/Vanta LT. I just want a better card. Won't be changeing anything else. (Wife getting new so this is mine to learn on or break)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by whatamidoing on 02/21/05 01:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Okay, according to <A HREF="http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/msgs/5WV200/1DOT.html" target="_new">compaq</A> That's a 750Mhz Duron, yes? Don't suppose you know what chipset that's on?

A few bits of useful information, if you could supply them:
How much do you want to spend?
Exactly what are you hoping to do with it? (I can state now that half-life 2 is never going to be beautiful on this machine) Do you just want some casual gaming, or do you want it to cope with newer games (system overhaul would be better there!)

a best-guess thing here, is something on the level of a Geforce 2 or 3 card I guess, anything more would be seriously held back by the rest of the system.

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen